We made a business trip to BdT to find the hotels that would accomodate our Puerto Viejo boat tour biz and our occassional trips to the islands to get out of town. This hotel has a lot of the features we were after;
1) In town, but away from the center.
2) Breakfast included
3) Access to the boat
4) English speaking
5) Modest prices
But, what it offered, it often lacked;
1) In town, just 100 meters from the diesel generator that powers the town.
2) Meager breakfast--lackluster muffin/cupcake, boxed orange juice, coffee (the best feature, the milk is steamed and served with froth!)
3) There is a dock out back, though 3 inquiries as to whether we would be permitted to tie up our boat all went unanswered--thinkin' probably not!
4) When I asked questions in English, I got short English answers (yes, no, i don't know), when I asked questions in Spanish, I got short Spanish answers (si, no, no se). So, I would ascertain that yes, they know both English and Spanish, they just don't choose to speak!! Really, the desk staff sat at the desk (in the rear or water-side of the hotel) and I never saw them up from that position. Since the rooms open onto a main corridor leading to the reception desk, there is the impression of no security (or assistance) until you wander up to it on your way to the light at the end of the tunnel.
5) Prices as advertised!! Our room (a double) included a double size bed, a twin bed, private bath, TV, air conditioning and towels for $40. No complaints on the room itself. Just loud from the humongous generator down the street and the tin roof overhead that seemed (room 5) to be directly below the upper roof based on what sounded like buckets of rocks being tossed in a dryer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautiful Hotel on the water with great ocean view. Quiet location, 2 minute walk from main street ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Hotel Olas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Olas Hotel Bocas Town
- Hotel Olas Bocas Del Toro, Panama - Bocas Town