“A Place to Make Friends”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bocas Town
Hotel Lula's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 30 Bocas Town B&B and Inns
BILLINGS
“A Place to Make Friends”
Reviewed February 11, 2009

Brian and Jana Hudson are excellent hosts and helped to make our stay in Bocas a positive time. We arrived 3 days early, they were full, so arranged for our stay at a very comfortable nearby hotel, until we could get into our room. We were with them for almost two weeks. The rooms are comfortable & clean, the beds are good and the breakfasts are excellent. Several times we would have fresh homemade muffins ready with the coffee, even before we had breakfast. We met and got to know several people from around the world during our stay at Lula's. The warm, welcoming atmosphere sets the stage for lively conversations and sharing of travel experiences.
We need to mention also, having the wireless internet access was a huge bonus and their lending library is very complete. The upstairs porch has outdoor seating, hammock and hummingbirds, it was the perfect place to spend quiet relaxing island time, especially when it was raining.

• Liked — The owners as hosts, location, breakfast, internet, place to relax, and the other people we met.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RICK B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
florida
Reviewed December 7, 2008

It's interesting to see I'm not the only reviewer whose reservation they screwed up and bumped.

I made a reservation to stay with them. They noted down:
- arrival date
- departure date
- my phone number
- my name and location of residence

They amazingly managed to screw up 1) the arrival date), 2) the departure date, 3) lose our contact info/not call us, and 4) weren't able to contact us by looking up our contact info on the internet (which could have been done w/name and location of residence pretty easily).

I arrived and they said they had us as arriving the previous day and so they had cancelled our reservation. I asked why they didn't call me, and they said they didn't have my phone number.

They said they had another guest arriving the following evening, so they could give us a free night's stay and help us try to find another place to go to the following day, but would not bump the other guest's reservation, like they had for ours.

This was at holiday time, so there were very few hotels available. We ended up having to move to a tiny, uncomfortable room at another hotel. I ended up getting sick in that room, so ended up moving hotels again to get a bigger room, even though the location was less convenient.

So, planning to stay at this hotel made the trip a real disaster. My recommendation, avoid this place at all costs, because you may find yourself bumped and scrambling for a room like i did and another reviewer here.

Stayed December 2006
LulasBocasDelToro, Owner / Manager at Hotel Lula's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 10, 2008
Wow, I hope we have improved since your stay here. 2 years ago during your visit, we had the cards stacked against us and have made great strides in improving the inn.

Being a new business for us, we are learning to manage the inn and have since replaced our office equipment along with software to avoid making this mistake again.

We are sorry you had a bad experience and invite you to return to Hotel Lula's. We have completely remodeled the inn and want to offer you a free night to make it up to you.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Bocas del Toro is EXPENSIVE. That said, Lula's is a great deal when viewed in comparison to the surrounding properties in the same price range. Book early -- it fills up fast.

The rooms here are nice and small. Air conditioning units are old and extremely loud and there are no TVs... There's another unnamed hotel just down the street from Lula's (in a white building with no sign) that had similar prices with newer AC and TVs. Not sure of the name, but might be worth checking out if you're just winging it without reservations.

Aside from that one, though, Lula's is probably the best in this price range in Bocas Town. Not much in the Islands for midrange travelers...

The balcony is nice to sit on during the inevitable rain, and the breakfasts are adequate.

Stayed August 2008
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 5, 2008

Nice B&B, with clean but small rooms, a lovely living room, and wonderful upstairs patio with an across-the-street view of the ocean. Good breakfasts, lovely host and hostess. We liked the location, away from the noise of the center of town, but within easy walking distance of restaurants and activities. However, unfortunately, there is a casino being constructed next door, and the noise and dust and disruption from that is a real minus. Too bad for the owners and their guests, because this is a great place to stay other than that.

• Liked — Upstairs balcony
  • Disliked — Construction next door
  • Stayed February 2008
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed August 28, 2008

Lula's B&B was clean and the new owners from Atlanta, GA were nice (though I did not see them much). Lula is located about a 10 minute walk to the main street of Bocas. This is both good (normally quiet) and bad (you have to walk a bit to things).

I stayed here with a friend for a week in a room with two beds... one relatively normal, but the small one felt more like a cot. The room was really small but functional. The air conditioning worked well enough to combat the Bocas heat. Wifi at the hotel was a nice bonus, though the signal to the room was extremely weak and required me to use my laptop from the front of the hotel most of the time. Be aware that there are no TVs in the rooms... not a big deal to me, but others may care.

Breakfast was very basic... not bad but not huge or gourmet either.

Hotel Lula was undergoing some construction while we were there. This meant that sleeping-in wasn't an option, nor was hanging out on the hammock and reading. Hammers and buzz saws were going throughout each day. The owner gave us a little cut in price when he realized how loud it was, so that was nice of him. I am sure it was a very temporary thing, so future guests should probably not have to worry.

The hosts were fairly distracted with other things and not around much during our stay. They were planning to return to Atlanta for Thanksgiving, and left during our stay. I did manage to ask our hostess for advice on beaches and boat trips but I did not get much help beyond the folder of travel brochures. Again, she was pretty distracted, clearly homesick and ready to get out of Bocas for the holiday.

Aside from the construction, Lula's was not a bad place for the money. It was clean, we got breakfast, and things worked. I think we caught the owners on a busy week, so it might not be representative of their typical service. If you are looking for something clean and basic, this will probably be fine. If you want a big room, TV, a more central location, or a place on the water (with its own dock), you might want to upgrade.

• Liked — Clean, good A/C, wifi
  • Disliked — Construction noise, not much advice from owners
  • Stayed November 2007
BC
Reviewed April 23, 2008

This is a gem of a place. Clean, great food, exceptional staff. I really enjoyed my stay there. Afterwards, the owners went way out of their way to personally return some forgotten items. Can't thank them enough.

101borders

• Liked — quiet place, professional , flexible staff
  • Disliked — The bed creaked...
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I had a reservation to stay here but was bumped when somehow my reservation never made it into their books. When I found this out I was shocked and very nervous about what we were going to do now. It turned out however, that I needn't have been. The hotels owner, Jana, was so very apologetic to us. She booked us into another hotel in Bocas.....one that cost more money, but she picked up the tab on every penny over the rate I would have paid at Lulas. Although I didn't get to stay at Lula's, I wanted everyone to know that the owners are classy people, responsible, and take care of their customers. Thanks Jana!!! We'll try again next time!!!

Stayed March 2008
Hotel Palma Royale
Hotel Palma Royale
#3 of 13 in Bocas Town
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
Panama's Paradise Saigoncito
Panama's Paradise Saigoncito
#3 of 41 in Bocas Town
Palmar Beach Lodge
Palmar Beach Lodge
#2 of 20 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to Hotel Lula's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!