“Excellent Value in Bocas Town”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bocas Town
Hotel Lula's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 30 Bocas Town B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent Value in Bocas Town”
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Bocas del Toro is EXPENSIVE. That said, Lula's is a great deal when viewed in comparison to the surrounding properties in the same price range. Book early -- it fills up fast.

The rooms here are nice and small. Air conditioning units are old and extremely loud and there are no TVs... There's another unnamed hotel just down the street from Lula's (in a white building with no sign) that had similar prices with newer AC and TVs. Not sure of the name, but might be worth checking out if you're just winging it without reservations.

Aside from that one, though, Lula's is probably the best in this price range in Bocas Town. Not much in the Islands for midrange travelers...

The balcony is nice to sit on during the inevitable rain, and the breakfasts are adequate.

Stayed August 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 5, 2008

Nice B&B, with clean but small rooms, a lovely living room, and wonderful upstairs patio with an across-the-street view of the ocean. Good breakfasts, lovely host and hostess. We liked the location, away from the noise of the center of town, but within easy walking distance of restaurants and activities. However, unfortunately, there is a casino being constructed next door, and the noise and dust and disruption from that is a real minus. Too bad for the owners and their guests, because this is a great place to stay other than that.

• Liked — Upstairs balcony
  • Disliked — Construction next door
  • Stayed February 2008
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed August 28, 2008

Lula's B&B was clean and the new owners from Atlanta, GA were nice (though I did not see them much). Lula is located about a 10 minute walk to the main street of Bocas. This is both good (normally quiet) and bad (you have to walk a bit to things).

I stayed here with a friend for a week in a room with two beds... one relatively normal, but the small one felt more like a cot. The room was really small but functional. The air conditioning worked well enough to combat the Bocas heat. Wifi at the hotel was a nice bonus, though the signal to the room was extremely weak and required me to use my laptop from the front of the hotel most of the time. Be aware that there are no TVs in the rooms... not a big deal to me, but others may care.

Breakfast was very basic... not bad but not huge or gourmet either.

Hotel Lula was undergoing some construction while we were there. This meant that sleeping-in wasn't an option, nor was hanging out on the hammock and reading. Hammers and buzz saws were going throughout each day. The owner gave us a little cut in price when he realized how loud it was, so that was nice of him. I am sure it was a very temporary thing, so future guests should probably not have to worry.

The hosts were fairly distracted with other things and not around much during our stay. They were planning to return to Atlanta for Thanksgiving, and left during our stay. I did manage to ask our hostess for advice on beaches and boat trips but I did not get much help beyond the folder of travel brochures. Again, she was pretty distracted, clearly homesick and ready to get out of Bocas for the holiday.

Aside from the construction, Lula's was not a bad place for the money. It was clean, we got breakfast, and things worked. I think we caught the owners on a busy week, so it might not be representative of their typical service. If you are looking for something clean and basic, this will probably be fine. If you want a big room, TV, a more central location, or a place on the water (with its own dock), you might want to upgrade.

• Liked — Clean, good A/C, wifi
  • Disliked — Construction noise, not much advice from owners
  • Stayed November 2007
BC
Reviewed April 23, 2008

This is a gem of a place. Clean, great food, exceptional staff. I really enjoyed my stay there. Afterwards, the owners went way out of their way to personally return some forgotten items. Can't thank them enough.

101borders

• Liked — quiet place, professional , flexible staff
  • Disliked — The bed creaked...
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I had a reservation to stay here but was bumped when somehow my reservation never made it into their books. When I found this out I was shocked and very nervous about what we were going to do now. It turned out however, that I needn't have been. The hotels owner, Jana, was so very apologetic to us. She booked us into another hotel in Bocas.....one that cost more money, but she picked up the tab on every penny over the rate I would have paid at Lulas. Although I didn't get to stay at Lula's, I wanted everyone to know that the owners are classy people, responsible, and take care of their customers. Thanks Jana!!! We'll try again next time!!!

Stayed March 2008
Emsworth
Reviewed February 19, 2008

I have stayed in Lulas half a dozen times and I would not consider staying anywhere else if they had a room available. The staff are charming and efficient and the host and hostess delightful. It is not in the middle of town but Bocas is tiny so nowhere is a long walk away and the town centre can be a bit noisy.

They run a little 'honesty bar' on the balcony and guests gather or pass through in the early evening and swap stories and experiences. It is truly a delightful spot - I wish I were there now.

• Liked — Charming host and hostess
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Isla contadora
Reviewed January 11, 2008

Me and my friend went totally random to this lovely B&B place. It was quite funny actually. The american owners had been on the same flight as we were. When we shared the same taxi, looking for a place to stay, we directly got a feeling that these people were really friendly.

They will do anything for you to make your visit on Bocas as one of the best memories you ever will get...Actually, Bryan and Jana were like an extra parents to us:)

So we two Swedish youngsters stayed here for 15 nights, and enjoyed every second of it..There are also a really nice surfschool, which has the office at Lula's. The instructor Andrew is very kind and have a great feeling of how to learn you surf!
Hope you will have fun and love your visit as much as we did..
/Anton and Erik

• Liked — The friendly enviroment
  • Disliked — Nothing that I have in mind
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
Hotel Palma Royale
Hotel Palma Royale
#3 of 13 in Bocas Town
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
Panama's Paradise Saigoncito
Panama's Paradise Saigoncito
#2 of 42 in Bocas Town
Palmar Beach Lodge
Palmar Beach Lodge
#2 of 20 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to Hotel Lula's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!