“GREAT stay....enjoyed it very much!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bocas Town
Hotel Lula's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 30 Bocas Town B&B and Inns
San Jose, Costa Rica
“GREAT stay....enjoyed it very much!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in a 3-person room! A/C worked wonderfully! The room was quaint! Eric (general manager) was fantastically helpful! We would have never made it to our bus on time in Changuinola without Eric's advice to take the 7:30am watertaxi. He also made sure we got a good boat tour, and gave great advice for where to eat, etc. The hammock on the deck was a big hit with my family. The coffee and breakfast was great! It was nice to have a refrigerator stocked with bottles of water & soda, and a tab you could run up during your stay. We've recommended Lulu's to all our friends, and everyone who has gone loved it. Great place to stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TeamGrieveforGod

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is really more of a hostel than a hotel. Bocas town is grungy to say the least--and Lula's definitely matched the vibe of the town. That being said, I am not sure there are many other options in town, and I am sure that Lula's is a better option than some of the hostels on the main street in town.

The good:
-This was not exactly in the town, but quick walk away from town.
-It was quiet.
- Albert, who works the front desk in the morning is VERY nice.

The bad:
-The double room was TINY. We are fairly small people and felt absolutely claustrophobic. There was not enough space to put our backpacks on the floor. We had to jump over them to get into bed, go to the bathroom, leave the room, etc. We did see a triple room while it was being changed and this was far more conducive for two people. The bathroom was so small that our knees knocked the wall when on the toilet.
- The room was dirty and outdated. When we checked in, there was a string of used floss on the floor. Our towels were not replaced unless we asked (If the hotel was being green, it should have had a sign announcing this and made space available for us to hang them so they could dry). It seems odd to complain about, but the double bed was so creaky, causing us to wake up when the other one rolled over (again, we are not heavy people). The shower was dirty, tiles were broken and there was hair in the shower when we checked in.

The ugly:
-The lot next to the hotel is a trash/recycling facility. There is trash literally everywhere in Bocas town, but it was unexpected to have your view look over the lot. It was a bit noisy and bred mosquitoes.
-The icing on the cake was that the owner said it would be impossible for us to leave our luggage for the day (our flight was later in the day). Again, this aligns with the argument that this place is really more of a hostel than a hotel. He directed us to a place called the "stash n' splash" which he said was clean. In reality, the shower facility looked like the Hanoi Hilton.

I wasn't expecting a Four Seasons--but I wasn't expecting a hostel either. We are not the most high maintenance travelers, but this place did not make our trip to Bocas more comfortable. I think the owners could do some small things to make this place more comfortable for travelers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JLO32781
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a few nights in November and were unlucky with the weather since it rained non stop. The b&b has a nice atmosphere, but the rooms are a little small and quiet basic. Probably all you need when you can go out all day. Breakfast was ok but in my opinion it would be nicer if they ask you how you like your eggs instead of bake it with cheese etc and serve it.
The biggest problem we had, was that my boyfriend got Dengue Fever after our visit. We are quiet sure he got it while sitting on the deck of the hotel, shooting pictures of the hummingbirds. The neighbours have a kind of garage with lots of tires laying around, which can be perfect for breeding mosquitos.
We hope the cases can be minimalised because it can be a serious problem for Bocas and the hotels!

• Stayed November 2012
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights and $55 a night including a great breakfast and good coffee.
Extremely comfortable and whilst the whole town is relaxed and safe there is good security on site with CCTV and another locked gate between downstairs and the upstairs room. Nice deck with hammock and chairs to catch the breeze. Honesty fridge with beer, water and soft drink. Rooms are fine with aircon, in room safe and a nice bathroom. Wifi throughout, Inc room. A little bit of a walk from the main park but realistically the only time your in town is to eat. Red Frog Beach is beautiful as is Wizard Beach next door....the locals warn you about walking the trail to Wizard (Red Frog you can book a boat for $7 return) but I had no issues but it was deserted the day I was there and you need to closely watch your bag (or just take a towel and drink money) or arrange boat to drop you off and pick you up. Service at hotel was excellent and English speaking for those no hablos espanol gringos like myself.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were welcomed by friendly staff who showed us around, gave us great advice about things to do, and accommodated us in many ways. The place is very clean, the towels are the nicest smelling towels I've had this whole trip (4 weeks). The place is very secure with a safe, locked doors at night, security cameras and barbed wire. I had a load of laundry done for 6 dollars. They have a nice sitting area which overlooks the street and they have a stocked fridge with dollar beers and 75 cent waters. We had an excellent stay here. Unfortunately, there was a bit of miscommunication as when we booked I asked if they had any specials. The reply I received said there were no specials, but since all the double rooms were booked we could stay in the triple room for the price of a double. It was nice since we stayed 5 nights and it gave us a little extra room. When we checked out we were charged for a triple room. When we brought up the email I received it was disregarded. I even checked my email after to make sure I read it correctly and it said exactly what I thought, plus it said that included taxes and breakfast. We didn't want to argue and cause a scene since the owner was there and we weren't 100% sure at the time we were even right so shrugged it off. Then we were told there was a 5% fee for using visa which we weren't aware of. The breakfasts are decent, nothing really special. I have heard amazing things about the mango pancakes but I unfortunately can not eat those, so I had the scrambled eggs one day and the omelette the other day. I was a little surprised they didn't throw in an egg or anything instead of the pancakes which I couldn't have. All in all it was a great stay, very friendly managers, it was just a bummer at the end leaving on that note.

Room Tip: We stayed in room one which has two big windows and opens into the deck.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
LulasBocasDelToro, General Manager at Hotel Lula's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
I am very sorry about the misunderstanding. When you mentioned the lower rate I thought you were referring to the price of our double rooms, which sometimes happens. On occasion we do make special rate concessions on slower days in the slower months, but it isn't common, so I guess I forgot. I have written you a private email, perhaps we can find a way to make this right. I in no way intentionally meant to overcharge you. The service fee for credit card transactions is clearly stated on our website. I apologize that it came as a surprise at the end, we will do a better job in the future to ensure that all of our guests realize at check-in that there is a service fee charged for credit card transactions.

We do try to offer a full hot breakfast to all of our guests in the morning. And on occasion we can prepare some special offerings, but having a small operation it isn't always possible to meet all dietary needs. We have even made breakfast in special cookware for kosher guests who brought a pan for that purpose. We do serve extra large portions of fresh fruit for our guests when they cannot eat gluten or wheat products and we still have coffee, juice, and tea. We will explore other alternatives as well. I apologize that your experience with us wasn't fully up to your expectations, we must strive harder to do better in the future. I will continue to communicate with you privately to see if we can find a way to make right the misunderstanding about the rate, again I apologize for that.
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

This B&B is located out of the main "downtown" area of Isla Colon so it was nice and quiet and very enjoyable. But do not let that be a deterrent if you want to be able to enjoy the Bocas night life. Although it might look far away on tiny travel guide maps, the walk from the B&B to anywhere else in town is 5 minutes max and a piece of cake - the streets are well lit the whole way, too. It was a great location to give you the option of having quiet relaxation time or fun bar hopping time.

My husband and I stayed in a small room with a double bed, ceiling fan, AC wall unit, safe, and private bathroom for 4 nights. The room and the bed were small but fine, but the bathroom was tiny! We literally hit our knees on the wall when sitting on the toilet. That being said, it was very clean and everything worked so I wouldn't complain.

All areas of the building and porches were immaculate the entire time we were there, not a bug to be found. The courtesy bar was very convenient and reasonably priced, a great way to get a soda or beer if you got thirsty in the middle of the night. The breakfasts we had were all great and good size. We had fresh fruit, juice, coffee/tea every morning and the main dish alternated with pancakes, eggs, johnnycakes. Everything was great!

All in all, it was a very nice place, very reasonably priced, in a good location and we would go back. The rooms are cozy but we didn't spend much time in there other than to sleep anyway. We'd easily recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DarkBluSky
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

The owner is knowledgable and happy to talk which always help. And there are nice touches that raises it above most hostels. Comfortable communal areas, a nice quiet spot in town, honesty bar if you fancy a cheap beer or coke and a great breakfast. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel Palma Royale
Hotel Palma Royale
#3 of 13 in Bocas Town
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
Panama's Paradise Saigoncito
Panama's Paradise Saigoncito
#3 of 41 in Bocas Town
Palmar Beach Lodge
Palmar Beach Lodge
#2 of 19 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to Hotel Lula's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!