“Unwelcome visitors tested my limits!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Posada Isla Chica

Posada Isla Chica
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Bocas Town
Colorado
“Unwelcome visitors tested my limits!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

2.5 stars if I could. Mainly they are for the staff being friendly enough and location and for the room being was promised on paper.

Stayed in late May $45/night - for our room and season, it felt overpriced

Our first impression upon walking in the room was slightly disappointing. I chose this place upon reading the reviews and the things that stood out was cleanliness and spaciousness of the rooms, let alone location and value for it all.
Location. Great, it is a few steps from anything you need, food, water taxi, booking tours. No complaints.
Spaciousness. Um. Not so much if you are given the key to room #8. It is located right at the top of the stairs, if you are led there are you are more than one person, it is not spacious. There was queen bed, 2 nightstands, and very small tv/stand. The only other space/furniture was a closet nook that had a small chair. I guess that was the "desk area". No fridge, no extra chair, let alone sofa like seating some images show. Some of doors to the other rooms were open as they were still being cleaned. Yes those were spacious, separate sitting areas, maybe even mini fridge etc. I am kicking myself for not saying something right away about getting one of these other rooms that remained empty the whole time we were there. Maybe our experience would have been different. The other thing that I noticed right away which was disconcerting was there was a sizable gap approx 1cm high in one area between the bottom the door and ground which makes it easy access for bugs...Some bugs are tolerable for me personally, but I have limits.
Cleanliness. Okay. Yeah the comforter in many hotels rarely gets washed. It was just really apparent here. Random hairs. Whatever, I can deal. The oil stain on the pillow case - ehh a little more gross, but ok, it's one night. My bf and I sat on thinking about our next move when we saw a huge cockroach saunter, not scurry, it leisurely scooted just behind the bathroom door. He turned to me and asked "did you see that?" I nodded, speechless. I get it, it's a tropical environment. There are bugs. I can deal with spiders, ant, lizards, what have you. Roaches? Nuh-uh! If you have large hands, put your thumb and and forefinger together in an oval shape. Thats the size of the roaches body. Yes that roach clearly ate some steroids. I have seen roaches before, but no comparison-this one was King! Since the room was a small box, not many places for it to go so I fully expected it to crawl into bed at some point. I began flipping out because I could hear more roach squeaking just outside the door. Remember the gap I mentioned earlier? I began eyeing it in fear. My bf took a towel and sealed the crack with it since I kept hearing the squeaks that sounded muffled. The big roach had run to the closet/nook area. I watched the crack of the door intently as I heard more intermittent squeaks right beyond the door. My bf tried to assure me it couldn't get in and that we should turn out the lights and try and sleep. I sat upright, my eyes glued to the towel covering the gap. Suddenly the squeak didn't sound muffled anymore and I froze. Then a minute or two later a slightly smaller roach emerged from the towel 'sealed' door crack and went right under the nightstand probably looking for its friend. That's when I lost it. The disappointment of everything I mentioned before with this new development was too much. How many more?? There was no way I would be sleeping and I had a 3 hour tour scheduled and prepaid for the next morning I wasn't going to miss. We packed our stuff and left (my bf spotted another roach just outside our door). By this time it was 11pm and ringing the bell at the main gate didn't get anyone. Granted we tried for only a minute and then hit the town. I was reluctant to stay there. Very very few accommodations had a person available to talk to especially in this off season at that hour, but we were lucky enough to find one at a lodging very nearby that was less than $100. We even got to check out late the next day at our new place and it was worth it to be able to sleep without the fear of roach crawling on us in the middle of the night. (We returned to Posada Isla Chica the next morning and checked out)
If you are still reading- Bathroom was a box but manageable. The thing that I wasn't happy with was the window had clear glass but no type of covering and though the window was small it sat low rather than higher up where you can still imagine there's privacy. If you are a modest woman taking a shower and the light is on in the bathroom, there is a building right across with windows and you can give an inadvertent peep show due to the height of the bathroom window and the other windows of the neighboring building. There was a man on the roof right across from the window that was working or whatever but facing in my direction of the window so I kind of ducked down grabbed my towel and wrapped it around myself before standing up. Again if you are not shy, than you have no problem.
The "ceiling fan" a fan rigged near the ceiling felt very good and was quite powerful. The A/C was activated by a wall switch and worked- which was all you can ask for.
On a positive note though we had limited interaction with the people at the front desk but they were nice enough and helpful with some ideas when we asked.
It was disappointing because my partner and I both felt we got the "worst room" when others were still open unoccupied when we left late that night. Therefore I wouldn't recommend this place based off out our experience with Room #8. Oh well. The coffee in the attached restaurant was good - but hey we're in Panama!
Maybe we would have had a different experience with another room. That's another reason why I gave it 3 instead of 2 stars.

Room Tip: Room #8 (directly across for the second floor stairs) is probably one of their smallest- not spaciou...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tigerseyes

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
basel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

Good value for money. The rooms are nice and rather big. Staff is very friendly. The hotel is located right next to the port. I would defintely recommend this place and I can also recommend the dinner they offer.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stayed at room #5, which was more like a studio. Spacious but no luxury. Very clean. There's a little fridge in there but if you wanna cook, you can use the shared kitchen outside.

Staff is very friendly and make you feel home. Location is perfect, close to bars and restaurants.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

Stayed in a large apartment style two room place for 40 a night. The place is right in town close to everything. The wifi was okay but not super strong. The place was generally clean though the furniture etc was oldish and the sheets sorta smelled mushy but I think that's typical of any tropical place. Still it was a huge apartment type place so can't complain.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
San Carlos de Bariloche, Rio Negro, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Bocas Town is very active, everyone is really on. The Posada is only a few blocks from the ferry dock, just walk straight up, don´t bother with the guys trying to convince you to go to places in the street.

The place is probably the safest spot in Bocas, right in front of the local police station, which makes it a perfect spot for families, couples or groups. The rooms are biiiiiiiig with TV and A/C, coffee is always available, there is a kitchen and dinning room to use, and laundry service.

The owners have two boats and are very keen on taking guest around for excursions, snorkeling, to explore beaches full of star fishes or even coral surfing..

So, yes, I recommend Posada Isla Chica.

Thanks to Cloe and Alejandro for making our stay even more outstanding!
Mariano

Room Tip: Sorry, my mistake, it doesn't have a swimming pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mariano C
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

We were fortunate to find this fabulous little boutique hotel. It has all the amenities a person could ask for and is conveniently located near the city center with easy access to everything. Everything is within walking distance.

Our suite had two rooms, a double and single bed and a kitchenette. There is a full service kitchen available for use to guests with everything one would need to make their own meals if you prefer this when traveling. The police station is across the street so the property is extremely secure. Everything is well maintained and beautiful and even the sheets were gorgeous. Air conditioned, wifi in the room, hot water, and full service. Quiet at night, we didn't hear a thing. Real mattresses. The only complaint I have is that everything was so comfortable we overslept! :) :)

The owners are delightful and very helpful and friendly and made us feel right at home. All of our needs were met and we were able to stay classy, and keep to our budget. :)

We love this place and would return here for any future visits!

Room Tip: We chose the suite with two rooms which worked best for our family (2 travelers)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Posada Isla Chica is the best option for Bocas del Toro, Isla Colon for many reasons:
- Excellent price/quality/ service
- Great location: in town, just meters from the main street, and in front of the boat stations.
- Super clean!
- Powerfull A/C
- The room we had was very spacefull, like an apartment, even with a fridge, which was fantastic for keeping beverages cold!
- We could make use of the hotel kitchen. That gave us a lot of freedom when we didn´t want to go to a Restaurant.

The hotel offers also tours on their own boats. I loved going out with them, since it was in a very reduced group, super friendly and professional. I particularly enjoyed CORAL SURFING.. you have to try that! It´s like flying under water, with a lot of freedom while enjoying the corals passing below you.. no words to describe it!
For the surfers: the best surf shop in town is in the hotel! You can rent boards, hire lessons, etc.. etc..

Thanks to Chloe, Alejando and the whole staff for such a wonderful stay! We will be back for sure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family