“Could a hotel be any worse?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Swan's Cay Hotel

Swan's Cay Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Bocas Town
“Could a hotel be any worse?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was late booking for my visit to Bocas and it was the only hotel I could find. This is without doubt my worst hotel experience in 20 years traveling. The hotel staff were sour and surly throughout my stay. I arrived early (8am) and asked for an early check. They refused saying I had to come back at 3pm. This is despite the fact that a large group of German travelers were checking out while I was at reception. I could see the maids cleaning the rooms on the balcony at 9am and yet the reception staff couldn't be bothered to accommodate me. I eventually got my room at 3pm. It was horrific. Worn bed cloths, air con that rattled like an old VW Beatle and the bathroom was simply filthy. I could go on but haven't the energy. It's the pits.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Barsiewars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The place is nice and the staff is very helpful! I must say that the food isnt the best and the kitchen service is bad. The pool is nice for a few minutes but to deep to enjoy. The rooms are very nice and comfortable!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The pictures don't show the reality. The hotel is much better than it is shown in the pictures and the people are really really nice.

After looking around in Bocas town, this was for sure a very good choice and good value of money!
I would definitely recommend a stay there

Cheers,
Judith

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The hotel is very close to the airport, attractions, and bank (only one ATM on the island). As lther reviewers have mentioned,the staff makes it seem like any requests or questions are a bother and are rarely helpful or pleasant. Rooms are outdated, but large and clean and a good value given we paid under $100 for a large room with 2 beds. Rooms do have flat screens, a safe, and sufficient storage. Biggest plus (beyond location) was large balconies which look over the town. Lobby is very dimly lit with a few seating areas. Pool area was nice; free wifi. Overall a decent value.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Kmulski
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

After my partner booked this hotel for my 10 month daughter and me I was alarmed to read some of the negative reviews for this hotel. However, once I arrived there, I was pleasantly surprised. It is true that the young woman on the front desk is not the most effusive and friendly person, but all of the other staff were very helpful. Everyday the restaurant staff would help me make up the formula milk for my baby and each time they would hold her and play with her. The room was not modern but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. I had a balcony that looked out onto the main street so that you could people watch, but at night time you could close the door and put the air con on and it was very soundproofed. The pool is clean and the sitting area around the pool is very pleasant, even during the drizzly rain that I was unlucky to have during my stay. In sunshine, it would provide welcome shade. The hotel leant me an umbrella when it was heavy rain and when I left an object in my room, they sent it to San Jose, Costa Rica through Naturair so that they could return it to me. I was very impressed with their service in this case, as they answered my query immediately and I had the object back within the week. The decor is more reminiscent of a Swiss chalet but it has a certain charm, especially when the restaurant puts its tables outside. It was definitely a good choice for a family. I visited the other hotel with a pool but they were 40 dollars more and completely empty. I had dinner at the restaurant one night and the food was simple but tasty.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

1. BOTH nights i stayed there there was no water starting at probably 7 pm ALL night. When I finally complained, the receptionist pretended he had no idea what I was talking about and then finally turned on some water for my room. I am not paying for a four star hotel that gives me no water (hot or cold) for 12 hours a day.
2. ONE key per room- are you serious?? You can only lock the door from the inside or the outside with the key, so my roommate or i always had to be there for the other one to get in or out. absurd.

The hotel was clean, and the breakfast delicious, but what INSANE changes need to be made.

Room Tip: There are two separate buildings and they close the door to one at night- so I had to walk alone in...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Bocas Town hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in a standard double on the second floor (wouldn't recommend the first flop rooms due to the ease by which you can climb on their balconies). Could be really nice, all wood floors and ceilings but the decor is cheap and the walls are scuffed. I agree with the previous comments that the stag at reception is taciturn and doesn't smile very often. It also seems that kitchen staff are off on weekends and your breakfast is chewy bread, cold scrambled eggs and artificially tasting juice. Rooms are reasonably clean, no complaints there. If you book just the room, there is a nice bakery just next door for breakfast. All in all, wouldn't stay here again, there are plenty more places at good prices in town with a lot more character and just as clean.

• Stayed September 2012