“I love this place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 30 Bocas Town B&B and Inns
Bocas Town, Panama
“I love this place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

This bed and breakfast is one of nicest places I have stayed for the money. Doug the owner is very nice and the entire staff is very accomodating. It is right on the ocean and has free kayaks to use and laundry service. You can walk to town. If there is a problem, Doug gets right on it.

2 Thank AM W

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

Cocomo by the Sea is a very cute waterfront B&B in Bocas. Its winning feature is the waterfront location with big wooden terrace/deck over the water - a great place to eat breakfast, and to laze reading a book and watch the world paddle by. The rooms I found to be 'ok'... I think they are aiming for the "shabby chic" look - somehow they didn't quite hit the mark for me. My room was perfectly comfortable though - a little dark, with ancient a/c unit, and dubious locks on the doors which cause them to need a big padlock (I found this to be a little low-budget, I think they should just upgrade the locks!) - but comfortable and clean (although there were a couple of cockroaches in my room, I kind of assume this goes with the territory in this kind of location!). Breakfast was plentiful and served on the lovely terrace. There wasn't a great presence of staff so I felt a little "on my own" in terms of service - but I was there over Christmas Day so that might explain it. Overall I would recommend, although I also stayed at Lula's directly across the road (literally 3m away) and found their rooms & service to be of a higher quality for the same price (although you don't get the waterfront terrace there).

Also, ditto the observation re noisy neighbours...I was lucky enough to have the room furthest away from the family home next door so was not disturbed at night time but I can see that this could be a problem at times

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank elklondon01
Venice, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

We spent 4 nights here. The rooms are on the smallish side, but clean and comfortable. We only slept in the room, otherwise we were on the deck or doing other activities. Kayaks are available to use and water taxis will come right to the dock. Swimming off the deck and snorkeling trips easliy arranged. Located about a 5 minute walk from town, so the area is quiet at night. Several reviewer have complained about the neighbors. While they are a large family, noise was really never an issue. We would definately stay here again...and the breakfast? Huge and delicious!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dusseldorf, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

Doug, the owner, is really great! Friendly, helpful, open, really nice! However, the b&b needs a lot of work done... Not sure if it's the salt or what, but the rooms need some taking-care-of. The veranda is great with a water view, however, the rooms were depressing/ dark/ musty. We too were greeted by a cockroach in the shower.

In general, though, Bocas Town is extremely overrated... It is very expensive for what you get (dirty!), so if you want a nice, romantic get away, try to stay in one of the islands (of course, you will probably pay more).

The cays, however, are in fact WONDERFUL!

1 Thank AndyF956
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

I loved it here. I visited in September 2011 and remembered I must make some recommendations!
I was travelling on my own and it was a perfect choice. I made friends with the other travellers and even did a day trip with them one day. I wouldn't have wanted to be out of the town being on my own as going anywhere for food would have been a problem.
Doug was great and always on hand to help and to recommend where to eat.
The room is not 5 star but that's not what you come here for. I found it clean and decent. I don't understand what the problem would be with a padlock - you can close normally inside. Of course there are sea smells - it is on stilts over the sea. yes there are only 4 rooms and the amneties reflect that. However you can use the laundry room and there is water available. The laundry room came in useful after hiking on the neighbouring island. My new found friends and I decided to hike across the island fromthe boat stop to Red Frog beach and then walk along to the next beach. That was an amazing walk.
I wish I could have brought my boyfriend here - it is a really romantic spot.
I didn't hear anything from the neighbours but loved to watch their lifestyle and envied their massive family!

Top tip: Take an island bus to Star fish beach - you can enjoy a lovely walk along here and if you are lucky watch the monkeys in the trees( you hear them first). I hope for their sake that no more development takes place up on this part of the island.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Ally2011haiti
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

We had a reservation for a bit longer but couldn't go through with it. The doors have padlocks on them, which turned off my wife. It's a bit dingy and musty on the inside with the floor giving way slightly underfoot. This is more like a hostel than a b&b, not for a romantic get away. The owner is very nice, we really wish it would have worked out but we were expecting much more.

Dorset, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights a couple of years ago and have never got round to reviewing it. Would have loved to stay longer - it was a wonderful spot, friendly, clean, comfortable unpretentious. Loved the kayaks available for guests to paddle round the bay. I have a photo of the table on the verandah set for breakfast in the early morning, loaded with fresh watermelon, papaya and mango, with the sea looking incredibly blue the other side of the decking. It's one I look at on grey chilly winter days in England.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family