“Don't go to el limbo”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Hilversum, The Netherlands
“Don't go to el limbo”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Not friendly, cold food, bad service etc etc etc.

It was really not plesent!

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank Floor en Rudy F

Chicago, IL
“Nice dinner right on the water”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

The wait staff was working on Panamanian time, so it took a while to get any attention from them. Once we did though, they were quite pleasant and the food was good. The atmosphere was very nice as the tables went right up to the water with a view of the water.

• Visited January 2012
Tortuguero, Costa Rica
“The only redeeming feature was the ambiance.”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

This place was trying to provide a finer dining experience in order to charge higher prices, but everything but the ambiance fell short.

The waiter was ridiculous. He was trying so hard to be formal, but had obviously no knowledge of the menu and just acted stuffy. I asked if they had wine by the glass (only bottle prices on the menu) and he said yes. So I asked for Cabrnet Sauvignon, and he said no, they had Sauvignon Blanc. So I asked if they had red, and he said yes, I asked what variety and he said Cabernet Sauvignon. Mind you, I am fully fluent in Spanish, so this was not a language issue.

I was not particularly hungry, but wanted a snack and a drink while I read, with the option of eating more later. All of the appetizers were $8 and up, and the seafood was quite pricey. I decided to order the cheese plate, because I had a hankering for a good bleu all day. When it arrived I actually said, "you're kidding" under my breath. The portion of cheeses was not particularly skimpy, but the presentation was sad, and they only give you (and they're not kidding) 2 slices of french bread. What's the point of skimping on the cheap stuff? I honestly wished at that point that I had gotten cheese and a baguette at Super Gourmet like I had the day before.

I slowly ate my cheese while reading, and even when I was halfway through my cheese and had finished my (very small - 4oz.) glass of wine, the waiter paid no attention to me, one of two tables he was attending. I had to call him over to order a beer, and then when I finished that I got up to pay (typical in Panamá and Costa Rica). The only reason I stayed longer was that I saw the cushy armchairs in the bar, and had been looking for a nice comfy place to read my book.

So I ordered another beer, and I think that influenced my decision to order the fried octopus. It was everything I had hoped it wouldn't be: rubbery, flavorless, and unwieldy. The sauce was a strange cream cheese concoction and the flour the octopus was dredged in had absolutely NO seasoning. Thankfully, I had picked one of the smaller pieces first, and the rest were less rubbery. The two bruschetta with tomato and onion topping were vastly better than the main attraction on the plate.

Basically, come here for a beer on the terrace or in the comfy chairs, but don't bother with the food, and don't expect service.

• Visited January 2012
3 Thank djskafish
Cordoba, Argentina
“Great experience besides the bad critics”
Reviewed December 26, 2011

I came here with my family eventough it had really bad scores. the food was good better than Average in bocas. service was excellent. prices wee a little bit high but overall a top five place in bocas.

SF bay area
“Good quality and tasty”
Reviewed December 26, 2011

We ate here twice during our stay in Bocas. A lobster meal is $18. The garlic lobster was especially tasty as was the trout. The desserts are also very good, especially the dame blanco which is very similar to a hot fudge sundae. For our first dinner there the service was fine and there were no problems with the bill (see other reviews). We did pay cash, so there was not problem with any credit card charges. The second dinner was on Christmas and the restaurant got very busy. Several drink and meal choices were not available that night and people had to wait quite a while to be seated (30 minutes). The seemed to be enough waitstaff, but the kitchen could not keep up. We wanted to order dessert, but gave up after waiting.

• Visited December 2011