“Writer's Retreat”

M&M's Residencias
Bocas del Toro Province, Panama
“Writer's Retreat”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I spent 6 weeks here, hacking away at a trashy beach novel on my laptop. It could not have been more perfect. A quick dip in the water to cool off, getting mesmerized by watching the starfish "swim" (is that what you call it?), and wasting time reading fiction in the hammock--it could not have been more perfect. Superb location downtown--quiet, but just steps from food and bars. Apartment is very well appointed with safe, full kitchen, coffee maker, etc. and well priced. A place to call home in Bocas.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank georgeous l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Westhampton Beach
Reviewed April 13, 2013

If you want a hostel, go to a hostel. If you want a hotel, go to a hotel. If you want an apartment, this place is a no-brainer. We stayed here for a few months. Fully equipped kitchens, beautiful all-wood construction right on the water in a quiet part of town, very well secured...I really wouldn't stay anywhere else in Bocas Town except Hotel Palma Royale. When I vacation, I like to stay in nice clean places, and I expect to pay a little more for that. Anyone who complains about the price of this place should be staying elsewhere. The price is right for what you get.

Room Tip: There are 4 apartments, all are different. Pick the one that suits you - they all have great qualiti...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank brianhamptons
Canada/US
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We stayed here for three nights in January. And paid over $100 per night.

It looks good on the website but it is really costly for what it is.

Pros:

Over the water
Looks nice
Close to town

Cons:

Over the water - water taxis race by at all hours
Paper thin walls
Nearby bar a couple doors down played music late into the night
Water out front is not to be swam in. The water looks very inviting and there were people swimming in it, but given the trash we saw float by our dock (including a used diaper) we would not swim there (or anywhere else in Bocas town).

This would be a good place at $40 or $50 per night. Not worth $100+ a night.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Vail, Colorado
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I recently stayed at M & M Residencia’s for a month while taking Spanish classes and doing some volunteer work at the local “asilo” – nursing home.
Like many accommodations in Bocas Town, this is a small inn with a studio, two one-bedroom apartments and one, large two-bedroom apartment (with an immense two-bedroom loft available May - November. During my stay, I had the chance to check out the other apartments rented by two other long-term visitors – they’re big and very nice.
I traveled by myself and stayed in the studio. It was perfect for me. It is directly – and I mean jump off the balcony for a cool dip - on the water. The eaves over my balcony meant that I could enjoy the sunsets without broiling, or watch the rains come in and the boats go by. The apartments have all the amenities I needed: linens, towels, a simple but functional kitchenette, pots, pans, utensils, a TV/remote control (largely ignored by me), a hammock for relaxing, a very comfy and firm, queen-sized bed, shelves, ceiling fan, French doors to the balcony, a small safe, it’s close to the good grocer/deli, The Super Gourmet, walking distance to everything, an off-the-main street locale, an inviting public deck on the water (not bad for watching the starfish) or having a beer with other guests, a roomy and strong shower, a guy who picked me up at the airport for free, handsome all wooden - new - construction, a very friendly vibe, and most importantly for me, air-conditioning for sleeping, internet availability on the entire property and ON DEMAND, POTABLE WATER.
I can’t stress enough how nice this single feature is. I can roll with the absence of safe water if I have to, but decent drinking water that I don’t have to spend time worrying about or sterilizing myself is really, really nice. The owner is proud that he can offer this service to his guests and he should be; it is not a feature of any other properties that I am aware of (it is a mystery to me, if other hotels in town offer quality water, why they aren’t bragging about it loudly on their sites).
The water in Bocas is not good and suffers the reputation accordingly. I am told that the city water is potable, and that may be, but it smells really bad and is not clear. I am also averse to buying bottled water for a number of reasons. Additionally, the owner supplements the city water with his own cistern/cachement system so the “other” faucet and showering doesn’t smell.
The owner lives on-site in his own home above the office (he also has other properties in the area that look nice, but I did not visit them). He’s happy to offer advice on where to eat, what to do and places worth seeing. There were several power-outages during my stay - some that lasted for hours while the town did some major work on upgrading the generators running the power on the island. Here, in this case, when the power goes down, everything else goes too (actually, kind of nice): no water, no internet,... The owner immediately purchased huge bottles of water for each of the guests so we wouldn't have to do without. He is from Belgium and can move between French, Spanish and English at head-snapping speed. I liked him immensely. I would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Lot's of nice touches
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Timmerbikes
Detroit
Reviewed February 13, 2012

After arriving in Panama from Costa Rica we had no accommodations in Bocas Del Toro. We walked the main street of Bocas town from one end to the other and stopped in at 15 or so different hotels. We had a few requirments. 1. Ocean front 2. an in-room safe (or hotel safe for our passports and things) 3. a balcony would be nice.

Most places were inexpensive but not up to the standards we were looking for or missed some of our requirements. When walked all the way down the main street and the last place we stopped was M & M Residencias. It appered that they had just completed construction of what I would say is the nicest accomodations in town. Over the water and with the coolest "lobby" you can find. All wood construction with all the comforts of home.

We stayed in the two bedroom two bathroom unit with a sweet view...I thnk the standard price for this unit is $150. Since it was open we negotiated an even better deal with the owner. It is certainly the nicest place we looked at and had everything we were looking for.

It also had some bonuses, like composting toilets so that your waste doesn't dump into the ocean like many of the other places we saw. They also have a diving board which is fun. I saw a spotted sting ray right fromt he dock! Beautiful hotel in an interesting town. The bars go late...like sunrise late. Thumbs up for diving, partying, and variety. Quick $2 boats rides to Bastimentos. Food in Bocas was just OK. Places were clean and safe.

Room Tip: There are a couple one bedrooms that have balconies right over he water. The 2 bedroom is onthe sec...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Webplayer47
Marathon, Florida
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Great place! Michele is awesome! Right on the water. Ask for the one bedroom on the water! Swim and snorkel from your dock!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Azul Paradise
Azul Paradise
#5 of 17 in Isla Bastimentos
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge
Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge
#4 of 20 in Isla Colon

Been to M&M's Residencias? Share your experiences!