“Best Service in Bocas” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hostel Heike
Denver, Colorado
“Best Service in Bocas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I loved my stay at Hostel Heike! The room was cute and colorful (although it was HOT, even with fans). The staff just made it incredible! They are fun loving, and really want it to be a good time for you in Bocas, so get to know them if you stay there. We celebrated one of the worker's birthdays there, and it was a blast! There is a nice little pancake breakfast and coffee in the mornings, and they provide plenty of water.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed a couple of nights here, the rooms were clean, bit pretty basic and small. The hostel is incredibly hot, maybe due to it being made out of wood, so you'll need the fan on all night.

The balcony and roof terrace are great but shut at 10pm and the kitchen is fine, yet slightly small. The lovely owner who will help you out, biut will direct you there friend tour operator (so shop around first, there are lots cheaper).

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Meirionnydd : Cymru ~ Wales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

I arrived in Bocas with nowhere to stay and looked up hostels on Tripadvisor. Looking at the other reviews, I think we were in different places or something because I spent one night in Hostel Heike and moved to another hostel for the same price (which was amazing).
Firstly I am a girl travelling alone, so I asked for a room with at least one woman. I chose the more expensive room as I was told there was a woman in it, but when I met everyone in the room they were all men!!
When I sat downstairs or in front of the hostel I was constantly asked for money by beggars - even when I was making my breakfast an old woman came into the kitchen asking me for a dollar. If you're not used to dealing with beggars then it would be quite intimidating.
Much like the tour touts who constantly hang around trying to sell you tours. They pitch everyone different prices - I was told $25 while a guy who also went was charged $20, so I demanded the same price.
The A/C in the room was so cold I woke up shivering in the middle of the night, the hostel also controls when it goes on and off - unlike the other I hostel I stayed in. The light in only one of the bathrooms was working so if you had a shower in the evening you had to deal with the line of people outside waiting to use it before/after you.
There was also music blaring from the stalls outside for most of the night - I was glad I brought my earplugs. Then there were the people banging on the door to get in at night, I could hear them even with the earplugs.
The bed also fell apart at one point with three of the slats falling through. That was the final straw for me so I packed my stuff and left.
The staff were the best thing about the place, they were friendly (when they weren't watching movies in the reception area) and the location is good too.

You can get much more for your money in Bocas so look around before you pick where you stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Eirianwen
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed three nights in double room with fan, the room was clean an spacious enough. For two people the price is just 1 or 2 dollara more than staying in dorm. Bathrooms were clean enough. Pancakes in the morning are included and you can have as many as you want to prepare for yourself. The receptionist is really nice, she remembers your name and will call around for getting any information you want!

Room Tip: if you are travelling in pairs a double room won't cost you much more than staying in the dorm
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 5 nights in a dorm with fans (no AC) for $10 per night. Dorms with AC are $12 per night. Overall decent beds although they squeeze them in pretty tight. We had 7 people in a 10 bed dorm and it felt full, would have been hectic with 10 I think. Cook your own pancakes for breakfast are included.

Showers and toilets are ok, not the best I've seen but do the job. The kitchen is fairly small and can get a bit messy but again, ok given its a hostel.

The common areas of the hostel are great, especially the roof deck. Good for chilling by yourself or with a group. The only downer is that the roof, kitchen and reception close at 10 but given this is not a party place, its usually ok. You get a key to let yourself into the hostel whenever you get back if you're out elsewhere late.

The staff are all very friendly and helpful. Overall I would stay here again, the positives def outweigh the negatives.

• Stayed August 2013
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Lovely little hostel ideally located. Stayed in the 10 bed dorm which is "cosy" should I say! But it was fine. The owner is lovely and friendly, knows your name straight away. All in all I'd recommend it.

However, if like us you're booking transport to Costa Rica from the desk next door (or 2 doors up) be careful! We booked and paidin full for our transport to San Jose (would be the same for Peurto Viejo) and got picked up from the hostel and bused up to the border, where our driver handed us over to another handler who was due to get our next bus tickets on the Costa Rican side of the border.

However while queueing and filling out our forms at immigration in costa rica our handler just ran off. All we had was a piece of paper from Bocas saying "transport for 6 people paid", there was no number to call or anything. We basically got screwed and had to fork out again for tickets to San Jose. In fact it would have been just as easy, and cheaper, for anyone to book the water boat to mainland and bus to the border. There is no need to pay the over the top price only to get ripped off and have nobody to even call about it!! Annoying.

Room Tip: Get the air con rooms upstairs!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at heike hostel for one week in June (low season) but still met so many lovely people there. Especially the owner, shes awesome, knows your name after the first day and has great recomendations what to do and wants you to have a great time at the island!
The Hostel is situated in the middle of the town so u can walk everywehere! But the Partyplaces are not next to the hostel therefor you can sleep if you don't want to party! The dorms and showers are clean and the pancakes and bananas for breakfast are included and great :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
#1 of 2 in Isla Solarte
Panama's Paradise Saigoncito
Panama's Paradise Saigoncito
#2 of 40 in Bocas Town

Been to Hostel Heike? Share your experiences!