“enjoyable stay at Mar e Iguana”

Hostal Mar e Iguana
Ranked #12 of 28 Bocas Town B&B and Inns
Leuven
“enjoyable stay at Mar e Iguana”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My friend and I stayed for two nights in the dorm (6 beds) with a/c. The hostel is located out of the city center, by a 20 min walk. So it is very quiet and relax!
Pro's: friendly and helpful staff, cheap bike rentals (5 $/day) and good restaurant
con's: only one shower and toilet, and the mattresses of the dorm were really bad...but Ricardo promised me he will do something about that!
Overall I would recommend this hostel:I also stayed at casa verde and hostel "spanish by the sea" and this hostel was by far the best!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Evelien I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My roommate and I stayed here for just under 2 weeks over the new year and absolutely fell in love with this place. This was such a great little escape from the day to day we were used to in the bigger cities of Panama. The employees were amazing and truly made all of us feel like we were at home. This hostel seemed more like a family that other ones I have stayed at before. Plus they offered a ton of stuff to do such as, tours, bike rentals, and suggestions on what parties were going to be the best in town. I also really enjoyed the beach location which was directly across the street, you don't get that access in the center of the island. I personally think this is the best hostel to stay at in Bocas because it was away from the main drag and more set aside but still only a 10-15 min walk to the life of the island. I already miss it and cant wait to come back to see them again. I assure you that you will have a great time here and they will do everything to make you feel at home and have an amazing Bocas experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank genesis0102
Victoria, BC
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

We are a retired couple who have stayed in many budget hotels/hostels over the years. We found Mar e Iguana to be a great place, with very friendly and helpful staff. The price was higher than we like to pay but, hey, it's Bocas. We liked the location - it's a bit of a walk to downtown (20 min), but it's in a quiet neighborhood and steps away from a good beach. They recently started offering dinners which are excellent, and are an extremely good value.

• Stayed December 2012
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a nicely designed hostel, so I was really disappointed when the staff were so rude and aggressive towards us on our stay. The bar maid was totally lovely, but the two guys were really antagonistic and made us feel really uncomfortable, which overall made our stay very unpleasant. The hostel is located a very hot 20 minute walk out of town, which was pretty annoying after a few times, I wish we'd stayed in town nearer to the action, but I'd thought it would be a nice hostel to relax in - I was wrong.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ihearttraveltime
Cheongju, South Korea
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Overall, I didn't enjoy my stay at Mar e Iguana. The people I met were nice, but the staff was pretty awful. The main guy always was very rude to me and my friends without provocation. The beds were like sleeping on cement - I had back pain every day. The Dolphin room (private double) which I paid more for because nothing else was left was very dirty, had no soap, bad WIFI, and was very small. The kitchen was good but small. Drinks were cheap. Hammocks smelled awful and were no protected from rain. The beach it is across from isn't very nice at all. Very dirty, the sand and the water. We stayed here for about a week and not once did they change our sheets or clean our bathroom, and I don't think either were clean in the first place. Do not stay here...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TheMeagerMuse
Mareiguana H, General Manager at Hostal Mar e Iguana, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for the feedback, we are very sorry you did not have a good time at our hostel although this is the first time someone complains about our staff as we always try our best to be friendly and helpful to the guests, but we´ll take your comment into account to improve our skills.

About the comment you did of our hammocks, as you could see, this are for the use of all the guests,all the hammocks we have are placed in a tower which has a roof but the tower does not have walls, there is no point in having a hammock in a closed room. Our hammocks get washed once a week.

I think you are a little bit confused as you were with us for only 3 days and not a week as you stated in your review and as most of HOSTELS we do not change sheets or clean rooms every day, we get the rooms cleaned every three days unless the guests ask for it to be done before the three days, where we are more than happy to do it.

We try to keep our hostel as clean a we can, we have a person who is in charge of checking every single room after it has been cleaned to make sure that everything is in order.
Boston, MA
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Overall, this was a great hostel, but if you have to stay in a dorm, there are lots of hostels in the area for the same price that are much nicer. It seemed that the majority of people who stayed here were long-term, therefore the dorm was very smelly and to say its cramped would be an understatement. The room did not feel any bigger than 10ft x 8ft and had six beds and small shelves that were not enough for one person let alone 6. We had no choice but to keep our stuff outside because there was no room to keep it in the room and there was no way to lock up valuables unless we gave them to staff (which they did offer). The dorm was certainly clean, but it smelled so bad that for days later, my clothes still smelled like it. The room was cold, but I had read that here and was prepared and wore my fleece/socks to bed and was alright. The common bathrooms were outdoors and not very clean, I never used the shower because it seemed pretty bad (only stayed one night).

However, the staff were incredibly helpful. I can't say enough good things about them. They were chatty, went out of their way to help you (they helped me book a snorkling tour when I couldn't do it on my own). It was great to chill in the hammocks and there was a very laid back vibe. The beach across the street is nothing that you would want to swim in, but made for a nice few on the deck. The private rooms seemed very nice, so please take this review only if you are thinking about the dorms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Playa Avellanas, Costa Rica
Reviewed October 28, 2012

After a pretty bad experience at another lodging, my boyfriend and I were eager to cut our holiday short and return to our home in Costa Rica. We decided to spend one night at Mar e Iguana and take the bus the next morning, but after meeting the staff, chilling in the Tower hammocks and finally feeling the Island vibe, we ended up staying for 5 days! The private room was exactly what we were looking for, no-frills but comfortable and with its own bathroom and patio complete with hammocks. The best part was the amazing art work all over the hostel, and the two story chill-out tower with the killer ocean view. We spent most of our time up there. Ricardo and the other bartenders were really friendly and helpful, telling us where the best beaches were for snorkelling and fishing (my boyfriend brought his spear gun) and places to get authentic Caribbean food around the island. Cuba, the rasta man, even offered us his surfboard to borrow for the day. We loved the location of the hostel, away from the noise and traffic of Bocas Town, but only a dollar cab ride away. By staying in this part of town we were walking distance to some beautiful beaches, fun waves and amazing marine life. If you're planning to spend any time on this island, then we highly recommend you check out Mar e Iguana !!

Room Tip: "Don't miss the Thursday night BBQ & Live Music"