Overall, this was a great hostel, but if you have to stay in a dorm, there are lots of hostels in the area for the same price that are much nicer. It seemed that the majority of people who stayed here were long-term, therefore the dorm was very smelly and to say its cramped would be an understatement. The room did not feel any bigger than 10ft x 8ft and had six beds and small shelves that were not enough for one person let alone 6. We had no choice but to keep our stuff outside because there was no room to keep it in the room and there was no way to lock up valuables unless we gave them to staff (which they did offer). The dorm was certainly clean, but it smelled so bad that for days later, my clothes still smelled like it. The room was cold, but I had read that here and was prepared and wore my fleece/socks to bed and was alright. The common bathrooms were outdoors and not very clean, I never used the shower because it seemed pretty bad (only stayed one night).
However, the staff were incredibly helpful. I can't say enough good things about them. They were chatty, went out of their way to help you (they helped me book a snorkling tour when I couldn't do it on my own). It was great to chill in the hammocks and there was a very laid back vibe. The beach across the street is nothing that you would want to swim in, but made for a nice few on the deck. The private rooms seemed very nice, so please take this review only if you are thinking about the dorms.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hostel Mar e Iguana and the Irie Lion bar is the perfect place to relax when you travel to Bocas del Toro. Sitting beside the Caribbean Sea just minutes from Bocas Town.Mar e Iguana has access to all of the activities this area offers, but it enjoys the serenity that makes Bocas Panama unique.Your key to comfort in Bocas del Toro...Specializing in relaxation and having great rates, the hostel has a wide range of features. Guests can get help scheduling tours, surf lessons, massages and other activities. Visitors here can also enjoy the nightlife of Bocas Town, with bars and restaurants only minutes away. For those who are more interested in enjoying nature, the sound of the waves has a calming effect, especially when heard from the hostels comfortable hammocks.Rooms at Hostel Mar e Iguana are also very comfortable and provide features you would expect in a resort, such as air conditioning, private bathrooms and free Wi-Fi.The Irie Lion Bar & Restaurant provides great drinks and special food every days, plus you can enjoy live reggae music every thursday.... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Hostal Mar e Iguana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostal Mar e Iguana Hotel Bocas Town
- Hostal Mar e Iguana Bocas Del Toro, Panama - Bocas Town