“My Favorite Bocas Dining Spot”
Review of Gringo's - CLOSED

Gringo's
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I spend two or three weeks a year in Bocas and Gringo's is my favorite place to relax, enjoy a very nice meal, and visit with the owner's husband, Gary, who is an American about nearly any topic. I really like the food and have tried most of the menu items, though keep going back to the smothered burritos. Gary has three salsas: a very tasty mild sauce, a pretty hot salsa, and a guacamole-type sauce that uses no avocado, which we were jokingly calling Garymole. As a foodie, talking food with Gary is always productive, informative, and just plain fun, as his knowledge is vast and laced with anecdotes that will keep you amused. The prices are fair, not cheap, nor over the top. When one considers the quality and quantity of food served up, then dining at Gringo's is a serious bargain. I am told that his double Margaritas are one of Bocas' best kept secrets. My host certainly enjoyed them, but indicated that three was his limit, unless accompanied by his wife, then it was two!

Don't see what you like? Ask Gary, he might surprise you, if he has time. One day I was under the weather and simply wanted soup, but could find no soup in a Bocas restaurant, so wandered by Gringo's and asked Gary if they had any soup. He said that if I could wait a few minutes that he would whip up some tortilla soup, which he did. It was just the sort of thing I wanted and was very good.

Enjoy Bocas and enjoy Gringo's. Gary will feed you and keep you informed about the local scene, as he has been there for a number of years and certainly knows a lot of people in Bocas and surrounds.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We had two dinners at Gringo's. It was nice to have some spice to our meal. The food was very good with nice portions. We liked sitting outside on the patio. The service was good, it was really busy but they were working hard.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

We sought this restaurant out from trip advisor reviews! It was down a side road we would have never ventured down , and did nt until someone directed us there. We were nt to sure when we saw it but decided to put our faith in the reviews. We sat at a table On the porch overlooking , not the greatest view, but I did find the chickens and roosters roaming around quite amusing. Had a hard time trying to decide what to order everything sounded so good. We made our decisions, can t remember what and had a beer each. Our plates arrived and were filled to the brim, fantastic food!!! Thought it was very reasonably priced, enjoyed everything and would DEFINATELY recommend!

Reviewed January 30, 2014

This place is a nice change up from the normal food. Portions are large, and the price isn't too bad.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

This was the first really good Mexican food I'd had in Panama. Loved the chicken enchiladas and the nice visit we had with the friendly owner.