“Not going back” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lemongrass - CLOSED

The Lemongrass
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Lemongrass - Asian Fusion restaurant on the Isla Colon, Bocas del Toro waterfront. We use mostly local seafood, allowing our menu to change daily according to availability. We have the best views in town, great drinks, and a unique mix of Panamanian, Asian, and Mediterranean cuisine.
Grecia
“Not going back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

The atmosphere is decent. It is right on the water and you overlook the docks. The staff are very unfriendly and rather rude. I tried to order a lemongrass mojito, sounded interesting and different, but they did not have it. My bill was added up wrong, no big deal, but when I pointed it out they argued with me, went to the manager/owner or whoever was in charge, and came back to argue more. I asked to see the menu again and, again, pointed out the fault in my bill and only then was it resolved. My husband ordered a mahi mahi special which was quite good. I ordered the lobster - a huge mistake. They did not have any shellfish cracker (the things that crack open the shell so you can get the meat) and the lobster didn't have half its legs or its claws. I've never ordered a lobster and not gotten the claws. The taste of it was mediocre at best, the rice had no flavor.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

“This is not a Thai restaurant!! Yuck!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

I was craving Thai curry, so despite some negative reviews I wanted to take a risk. I walked into the restaurant and the only waitress looked at us without saying hi or hola whatever. She just said take any table. She borught us menus and 2 minutes late she came back expecting we have chosen our drinks, appetizers and main course. We ordered 2 cocktails and the only appetizer choice they had (sampler dish of cebiche, tuna paté?, crab cakes, chicken satay, spring rolls and salad) which was OK to eat and more or less not too expensive $10 for 2.
Well, after checking the menu, they only had 4 choices, green curry, lemon grass something, sweet&sour soup and tom kha soup. We chose the beef green curry, $10 pp with rice and veggies (just carrots, cabbage and bell peppers). She brought us a portable pot with charcoil inside, a jar of "greenish soup" and a dish with pieces of raw beef and veggies. She poured the green soup into the pot (which ended up being the "green curry"... What a joke) and then the beef and veggies and told us to let it cook 5 minutes. Hahaha after 20 minutes the beef was still not done. Never in my life I have tried such a disgusting green curry! The Thai government should sue this place for promoting itself as a Thai restaurant and serving rubbish! I live in the East Coast and I had bad Thai food, but never this bad!!! Cocktails were also too watery and had much better ones at other bars in Bocas del Toro. I would not recommend this place at all.

Austin, Texas
“rudest and worst waitstaff I have ever come across”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

The night before I was kept awake by the awful cover band playing at this place. I have no idea why I decided to go there the next night. It was my birthday and all I wanted was a nice mixed drink. I got a pretty tasty Pina Colada but my friend and I were met with unreasonable pure hostility. We walked in and I said "Hello we're just going to have a few drinks. We don't plan on eating." The waitress said "OK." We sat down and she came up to order. I was expecting a menu but when i asked for one she said they didn't have them. Ok so I asked what they had to drink she listed a couple of things then gruffly said "I don't know the drinks are on the chalk over there." This was the first time I had heard of said chalk so off the top of my head I ordered a Pina Colada. It really would have been easier for her to say at my entrance when I said I was only going to be drinking ok the drink menu is right there on that chalk board. Instead I got nothing but gruff passive aggressiveness that was completely undeserved.
She didn't even take my friends order until she brought me my drink. My friend wanted to taste my drink before she decided on what she wanted. When she told the waitress this the waitress rolled her eyes and walked away before my friend could even finish the sentence. A few minutes later a lady in the middle of a phone conversation on a cell phone came up and begrudgingly took her order.
From the second I walked in the door I felt like I had some how put these ladies out completely. I could not figure out why though. I started looking for a way out... luckily they have a big patio with a view. Below me there was a nice restaurant with a pier that had two chairs right on the water perfect to enjoy some nice birthday cocktails on. So we had one drink and ran out of there as quickly as possible. My friend said that on our way out a 3rd waitress that I hadn't even interacted with was giving me the worst dirty look. I still can't figure out what these ladies problem was. I was really nice and I just wanted a drink. I do have a lot of tattoos and my friend and I had been traveling for a while so we were dressed casually. My conclusion is they thought we were a couple and that is why they treated us so badly. Shame on all of them if that is the case! I am straight and very supportive of gay rights. Besides nobody should be treated that way ever! especially at a freakin restaurant cocktail lounge. Treating people the way I was treated for any reason is asking for a miserable bad luck filled life! I am sure all 3 of those women will receive what they asked for in full!

• Visited August 2012
Bradenton, Florida, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very HOT”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

Not my favorite, it was very hot, and the food was ok at best, we have not been back, tried it twice. sad for such a great location.

Visited July 2012
none
“yucky curry”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

I was disappointed in my watery green curry as were my friends w their pad Thai made w angel hair pasts. Not worth the money :(

• Visited July 2012