“Harsh”
Review of Hostal Hansi

and 1 more site!
Hostal Hansi
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I was traveling over Christmas with my family (brother, father, sister, her husband, and their two children). We made the mistake of not booking a place ahead of time in Bocas del Toro. So when we got off the boat, I went around looking for a place to stay. I made it to Hostal Hansi and talked to the lady, who was very nice, and she said she had one room with three single beds, and asked how many we were. I told her it was our family but it would be my sister, her husband, and two children staying there. My father, brother, and I stayed at another hostel that night in a dorm room. But for the next night, we found a nicer hotel close by which had two double beds and air conditioning. My nephew and niece had a hard time sleeping that night, because the room was right by the street and it was a little noisy that night. Not overly noisy but they just had trouble sleeping. So we thought we would let my sister, husband, and the two kids have the other hotel room so maybe they could sleep better the second night. So my father, brother, and I stayed in the room at Hostal Hansi. The next morning when my brother and I got up to make some eggs we had bought in the kitchen, we were accosted by a man yelling at us telling us we had no right to be there. I tried to tell him we were staying in the room right there, and then his wife came up behind him yelling at us too saying that I had told her it was for a couple and two children and then she sees me, and "this young man" (referring to my brother). We tried to explain what had happened but they just shook their heads and walked away. I realize we probably should have explained what had happened to them beforehand but she had seen us all there the day before, and I hadn't thought it would be a problem. I also think they could have approached us differently rather than yelling at us saying we had no right to be there. We had paid for the room and had not been noisy or disrespectful in any way.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hostal Hansi

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I stayed 3 nithts in Hansi Hostal in a single room w/bath. The room was not large, but well decorated with a good bed, sufficient light, a table and chair, and place to hang or put clothes. There also was a fan, and a safety box with a locker. Bathroom also was ok and well orgnised.
The shared places were convenient and confortable. The kitchen is well furnished and orgnised.
Hike was able to create an hostel with a friendly atmosphere, with well defined rules, with an excellent value for money.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Stayed at this hostel when we turned up to bocas without a reservation. my friend and I stayed in a double suit which was pretty decently priced with an ensuite, tv and balcony. the bed was very comfortable and teh shower was clean with towels provided.
the owner had cute cats around the area. it was really nice to stay somewhere with a pivate bathroom. the hostel is not a party hostel which was great after long days travellign around the island area. excellent location like other hostels because bocas is a very small area with everything close by.
the only thing is you can{t book any tours etc through the hostel front desk.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tiffwiff1one
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Stayed in the 'marriage suite' which was basic but adequate. The owner of the hostel was very friendly and assisted us where she could. The hostel has a kitchen with a good food storage system and there are 2 hostel cats which are really friendly. Good location, close to boats and the main strip of bars, shops and cafes but still in a quiet area. Only downside is the smell of cigarette smoke (I think the owner smokes inside). Breakfast not included.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We stayed at Hostal Hansi for a week after having stayed at numerous other locations in Bocas (Gran Kahuna, Spanish by the Sea, and Hostal Diamond) and this was by far our favorite hostel.

A few of the things we loved:

- It's clean.
- The beds are comfortable.
- Heiki is an absolute charm.
- Private bathroom.
- The kitchen is small but well-stocked and functional.
- A common area to hang out and meet other travellers.

The only word of caution is that there are a few cats on the property. My girlfriend is allergic and didn't have any reactions though, so they may not be a big problem :)

Room Tip: No reservations, so come back every day in the morning to try to land a room!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

I didn't actually stay here, but I felt I should comment on how rude the staff were when I asked if there was accommodation. I was told they "don't take switchers from other hostels" (whatever that means), but I sense I was 'profiled' as not the kind of clientele they wanted (a single male traveller in my 30's?), and I'm just sure they could have phrased it in a slightly less blunt manner whether they had rooms or not!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jonathan A
Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Hostal Hansi for 6 days and we absolutely loved being there. We are the kind of people who enjoy much more the day than the night! We hate party hostels and we always look for CLEAN places! So here was the PERFECT place for us!

The owners were really friendly and helpful during our entire stay!

The room was big, nice, clean and also had a pleasant balcony. It was cleaned every day and towels were changed daily.

The kitchen was amazing! Very clean and well maintained. Trash and dish cloths were changed twice a day. There are 2 fridges and each room had a marked space in the fridge. There were plentiful spices to cook as well as all needed utensils!

The common area has books and games and it was also really clean. We met really nice people there!

For security the doors are closed at 20.00, but you have your own key, which is great!

Internet works pretty well in the rooms and common areas!

And to complete the location is just perfect and the price is excellent!

We recommend Hostel Hansi for people of all ages!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Bambuda Lodge
Bambuda Lodge
#1 of 2 in Isla Solarte
Hostel Mamallena Bocas del Toro

Been to Hostal Hansi? Share your experiences!