“A hostel that doesn't feel like a hostel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal Hansi

Hostal Hansi
Houston, Texas
“A hostel that doesn't feel like a hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

This hostel is a great value. It is not the typical hostel in that all of the rooms are privates with en suite bathrooms. It feels more like a hotel with a common kitchen. Our room had a very nice bed with a balcony. It was lovely! The rooms can get a bit warm as there is no A/C, but Bocas wasn't as hot as other areas we'd visited. It's open-air setting is lovely and refreshing. The kitchen is well-appointed and VERY well-organized. Each room has its designated section of the refrigerator--I loved that! The location is excellent. It's near the main plaza of town, main street and all of the nightlife. It doesn't attract the partying backpackers (and she doesn't allow outside guests anyway), yet it is near all of the action. This is definitely a great way to experience Bocas del Toro if you want to play during the day and dance all night, but not be kept up when you want to sleep with a bunch of young folks' shenanigans.

Room Tip: The room nearest to the construction next door receives the most outside noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed in the triple room with private bath and I was really amazed at how clean the facility was for a hostel. We tracked sand in there every day, I'm sure, and it was always immaculate after they cleaned. Personal refrigerator space was a very nice surprise. No A/C in our room, but there were 2 ceiling fans.

The male manager was very nice and accommodating.

Only bad thing was the computer was broken so we had to go around the corner to the internet cafe and pay $1.50/hr boohoo.

I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Boquete, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

We love this place and keep going back. It is well decorated and always super clean. Communal kitchen with individual fridge space is great. Each room has it's own private bath and some have very nice balconies. The cats are a definitely bonus. Overall a bang for your buck and the best we have found in Bocas Town.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs on the street side have balconies
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

This hostal is one of the best i've stayed in. Its minimalist however impeccably clean and very well organized. The prices for a private room are definitely the best you'll find in Bocas. Fridge space is organized by rooms, so you'll never have food go missing. Location is central.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

I can't speak to the rooms but I can tell you a little story about this hostel's brand of customer service:

After arriving a bit tired and carsick/seasick in Bocas, I made the decision to stay in a private room at Hostel Tungara for the first night. Knowing that Hostal Hansi was a bit cheaper and would be a bit quieter, I headed over to the hostel later that afternoon, my hair still wet from my shower. Upon arriving, I politely asked the hotel owner if there were any private rooms available for two nights beginning the following day. She told me that while they were fully booked that evening, I could swing by the following morning and a room would be available. She was not particularly friendly but not outwardly rude. As other reviewers have commented, she was brusk.

The following morning, I arrived, as promised, to book a private room for two nights.

"I'm sorry," the same German woman said, "but we are fully booked." How strange, I told her, mentioning our conversation from the previous afternoon. I asked her if she thought rooms might free up later in the day. She told me that they might and suggested I stop by again later.

As I prepared to leave, the strangest thing happened: a young man walked in and asked, in Spanish, if she had any private rooms available for two nights.

"Of course," replied the owner who had, not two minutes earlier, told me that no rooms were available. She promptly led him up the stairs to show him a room. When she came back down, I was more incredulous than angry. Perhaps there had been a miscommunication since we had been speaking English?

"I'm looking for the same thing," I said. "A private room for two nights."

This was when the German manager did a Hulk-like transformation. "I don't have time for this!" she told me in a huff. She angrily told me that the hostel has a "policy" of not accepting clients from other hostels in Bocas and asked me how I could possibly have entertained the idea of another hostel given the fabulous reviews Hostal Hansi gets online. I told her that I thought that this policy was odd (shouldn't the client decide where s/he stays and have the prerogative to do so anytime?) but oddest was that she had lied to me outright rather than simply telling me about her hostel's policy the previous evening. Almost yelling as she retreated back to her lair/office, she told me that she had done so in an effort to be "diplomatic."

Well, Hansi, as it happens I was a diplomat for 6 years... and lying and humiliation are not tactics they teach you in diplomat school.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank mobod
Mexico, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed here twice - one night on before we went to Isla Bastimentos, another on our return to the main island.

Very clean, organised hostal, reasonable value (we paid $25 for our first room which had 3 single beds; $25 for our second which had a double bed, both had private bathrooms); would recommend

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 6 days in June 2012 and it was by far the best hostal we have stayed in to date of our 3 months of travelling in
South and Central America. The owners are lovely and very helpful for anything you need. We stayed in a lovely private room with balcony and bathroom for $25, which is one of the cheapest (but still the nicest) places we have found. The place is beautiful, clean and right in town but tucked away on a side street so it avoids the noise. It has a great kitchen, reliable wifi and lots of nice common areas to hang out. It's a wonderful place and I would highly recommend to anyone coming to Bocas!

• Stayed June 2012
#1 of 2 in Isla Solarte
Selina Bocas del Toro
Selina Bocas del Toro
#2 of 49 in Isla Colon

Been to Hostal Hansi? Share your experiences!