“cute, clean, and a great value!”
Review of Hostal Hansi

Hostal Hansi
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We love this place and keep going back. It is well decorated and always super clean. Communal kitchen with individual fridge space is great. Each room has it's own private bath and some have very nice balconies. The cats are a definitely bonus. Overall a bang for your buck and the best we have found in Bocas Town.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs on the street side have balconies
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 15, 2012

This hostal is one of the best i've stayed in. Its minimalist however impeccably clean and very well organized. The prices for a private room are definitely the best you'll find in Bocas. Fridge space is organized by rooms, so you'll never have food go missing. Location is central.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I can't speak to the rooms but I can tell you a little story about this hostel's brand of customer service:

After arriving a bit tired and carsick/seasick in Bocas, I made the decision to stay in a private room at Hostel Tungara for the first night. Knowing that Hostal Hansi was a bit cheaper and would be a bit quieter, I headed over to the hostel later that afternoon, my hair still wet from my shower. Upon arriving, I politely asked the hotel owner if there were any private rooms available for two nights beginning the following day. She told me that while they were fully booked that evening, I could swing by the following morning and a room would be available. She was not particularly friendly but not outwardly rude. As other reviewers have commented, she was brusk.

The following morning, I arrived, as promised, to book a private room for two nights.

"I'm sorry," the same German woman said, "but we are fully booked." How strange, I told her, mentioning our conversation from the previous afternoon. I asked her if she thought rooms might free up later in the day. She told me that they might and suggested I stop by again later.

As I prepared to leave, the strangest thing happened: a young man walked in and asked, in Spanish, if she had any private rooms available for two nights.

"Of course," replied the owner who had, not two minutes earlier, told me that no rooms were available. She promptly led him up the stairs to show him a room. When she came back down, I was more incredulous than angry. Perhaps there had been a miscommunication since we had been speaking English?

"I'm looking for the same thing," I said. "A private room for two nights."

This was when the German manager did a Hulk-like transformation. "I don't have time for this!" she told me in a huff. She angrily told me that the hostel has a "policy" of not accepting clients from other hostels in Bocas and asked me how I could possibly have entertained the idea of another hostel given the fabulous reviews Hostal Hansi gets online. I told her that I thought that this policy was odd (shouldn't the client decide where s/he stays and have the prerogative to do so anytime?) but oddest was that she had lied to me outright rather than simply telling me about her hostel's policy the previous evening. Almost yelling as she retreated back to her lair/office, she told me that she had done so in an effort to be "diplomatic."

Well, Hansi, as it happens I was a diplomat for 6 years... and lying and humiliation are not tactics they teach you in diplomat school.

4  Thank mobod
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed here twice - one night on before we went to Isla Bastimentos, another on our return to the main island.

Very clean, organised hostal, reasonable value (we paid $25 for our first room which had 3 single beds; $25 for our second which had a double bed, both had private bathrooms); would recommend

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 6 days in June 2012 and it was by far the best hostal we have stayed in to date of our 3 months of travelling in
South and Central America. The owners are lovely and very helpful for anything you need. We stayed in a lovely private room with balcony and bathroom for $25, which is one of the cheapest (but still the nicest) places we have found. The place is beautiful, clean and right in town but tucked away on a side street so it avoids the noise. It has a great kitchen, reliable wifi and lots of nice common areas to hang out. It's a wonderful place and I would highly recommend to anyone coming to Bocas!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 19, 2012

very nice hostal
clean
close to everything!!
the german owner is a little cold but with a nice smile she laughs! is ok!
like it!!
the kitchen big!
is quiet!
i do like it!
i do recomend!
is cheap!!
13 dolares single share bath
15 dolares single private bath!
cool!!

Room Tip: all cool! and quiet!
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We were 2 friends travelling on a budget. We asked for a private room with bathroom, we got a room with 3 beds and 2 fans. Wood, tiles and lots of space.
The room, the kitchen and common spaces are really well organized and super clean.
The Hostel is centrally situated in the town of Bocas del Toro.
No computer available to use in the hostel but a cyber café is around the corner, we looked for it on the main street when it was just behind the hostel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Hostel Mamallena Bocas del Toro
Bubba's House
Bubba's House
#4 of 19 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to Hostal Hansi? Share your experiences!