“Lovely and confortable place, a good value”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bocas Town
Casa Verde Hostel & Guesthouse
Los Angeles, California
“Lovely and confortable place, a good value”
Reviewed December 12, 2010

I had a very bad experience in my first hotel I stayed with my girlfriend. I found here the relaxing and smily place we were looking for. The view is gorgeous and you can swim and snorkle in the same place, few feet from your room. Transparent water, nice people, nice bar at night. And very cheap for the high confort!
Thanks again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Virginia
Reviewed December 3, 2010

Stumbled upon this hostel and loved it. You can look at the ocean (and be literally on top of it) while reading in a hammock or typing on your computer. They have boats and tours that leave from the dock you hang out on. Food is reasonable and delicious. Nighttime entertainment was good not to mention a super friendly staff and owner.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Key West, Florida
Reviewed October 28, 2010

We arrived to find that they didn't have a reservation for us so we had find other accommodations. We returned the next day and the room was quite large compared to other hostels and had air-condition. The pier out back was nice wig hammocks and snorkel gear was available to use. The second day one of the girls didn't think we returned for check-in so she cancelled our reservation. We thought it was handled but the next day they seemed to think we snuck in somehow and questioned us about how we got a key. Weird.

They are building a bar and restaurant and are almost done. It looks very nice and the cook seemed to be very knowledgeable. It seems like there is staff turnover right now before the season begins so that may be what is happening. The kitchen has a lot of supplies to use.

• Stayed October 2010
Boracay, Philippines
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Casa Verde is the only hostal with sunset views; the Palapa is the place to be in the evening. There is no point in going to the ocean and taking a room overlooking a city street. The air conditioners are effective to the point that if you are sharing a room your room mate might start looking for blankets or ask you to turn it off. The kitchen has good cookware and enough stock of spices that cooking can readily be accomplished without buying out a good section of the store.

The beds are comfortable, the sheets are in good shape and clean. The rooms have thin walls, don't think you are talking in private.

There are party hostals in town, but you can party anywhere, when it is time to shut down, I like a quiet spot. The only major shortcoming was the lack of storage lockers.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank jim s
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I made Casa Verde mi casa for two weeks and could not have been more content with the accommodations, friendliness of the staff, location, and all-around vibe of this sweet hostel in Bocas del Toro. I washed ashore in Bocas Town having done little/no research about things to do/see around the islands. Fortunately the managers, Chris and Kristen, went out of their way to show me the ropes and point me in the right direction to places like Star Fish Beach, Smithsonian Institution tours, fire shows at the marina, bike rentals, good eats/bars, where to get certified for diving (Bocas Water Sports) - you name it and they'll have an answer.

Having experienced the good, the bad, and the ugly of dorm rooms across central/south america, the dorms at Casa Verde definitely exceeded my expectations. Great A/C, comfortable beds, clean linens, towels, and sufficient space even when filled with guests. I've gotten word that lockers have now been installed which would have been the only drawback while I was there.

Excellent waterfront dock allowed for floating, snorkeling amongst a mini-reef, gorgeous vistas of the mainland, and perfect place to chill with your fellow travelers. Also, can't leave out the spacious kitchen. I cooked at least a dozen meals there and every one of them was delicious so you should look forward to cooking there as well! Casa Verde feels like home when you're staying there, only your home isn't on the water in paradise so it's better than your home.

I can't wait to go back to Bocas and STAY AT CASA VERDE again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I had an excellent experience staying at Casa Verde! I have traveled the world and stayed in numerous hostels that range from Ritz inspired villas to Crack Shack holes in the wall and I found Casa Verde to be the a great value. Casa Verde is a charming and affordable Caribbean getaway that has everything you need (especially if you book in advance like my friends and I did). We were able to secure a nice bunk room with air conditioning and a private refrigerator. The Management Team at Casa Verde blew me away. Kristin was such a sweetheart and volunteered to lead my friends and I on a guided tour of the surrounding islands and even arranged for us to take part in a complimentary boat cruise. Chris was the man as well! He treated everyone around him as if they were his best friend or fraternity brother or something like that. He made sure we had everything we needed and was more than willing to show us around bocas at night despite his rigorous dive schedule. The fact that I can even remember these two people from last month speaks for itself. The place is great. Rooms are a little dated, but that honestly added to the ambiance of being in paradise! It's a hostel, don't expect the Ritz, but rather expect a great time with friendly faces.

Post Bocas Depression in my Cube-
Ron John Silvers

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We stayed in many hostels before and decided to stay at this hostel after reading the reviews on this website. Honesty, do not stay here if you can afford anywhere else. The room was not clean, it didn't have any sun shine. The air conditioner was ridiculously small, old and noisy and had a funny smell. Thanks to the dudes staying next door, our room smelled like pot all the time even though smoking was not allowed in the rooms. Sharing a crappy shower with 5 rooms was really though. The shower was always damp and the drain wasn't fast enough. We asked for an extra towel once and the woman mumbled something in spanglish, refusing to give us one. Even though the location of this place is nice, and it has a lovely dock where you can chill during the day and night, I would say Don't Stay At This Place. I am disgusted to find out that I got bedbug bites from the bed at this hostel!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
CVBocas, Manager at Casa Verde Hostel & Guesthouse, responded to this review, August 7, 2010
Thank you for your input. I'm sorry that we did not meet your standards but we wish that you would have spoken with the management about your issues while you were here so that we could have helped remedy them. We are available 24/7 to help make your stay more enjoyable but cannot solve problems like people smoking in a room or a clogged drain in the shower if it has not been brought to our attention. In addition, all of our air conditioners are standard sized and while some may be older models, they fully serve their function to cool the room and are cleaned and serviced regularly. Our waterfront location makes the dock and un-air conditioned common areas prone to the pesky local sand fleas, particularly at dawn and dusk. So while you may have left with bug bites, I can assure you it was not from one of our beds. Nearly all of our mattresses are new, sheets are changed between every guest and we have never had any other complaints of bed bugs. I'm not quite sure how to address your complaint about the damp shower as it is an area of the house that tends to get wet and we live in a hot, humid climate. Considering the scope of your complaints in relation to our numerous excellent reviews, it seems that maybe Casa Verde just wasn’t the right fit for your expectations.

Travelers are raving about these Bocas Town hotels

#5 of 13 in Bocas Town
Selina Bocas del Toro
Selina Bocas del Toro
#3 of 47 in Isla Colon

Been to Casa Verde Hostel & Guesthouse? Share your experiences!