Monkey Tree Casitas
Hotel Laguna(Bocas Town)
$85
$77
  • Restaurant
Hotelito Del Mar(Bocas Town)(Great Value!)
$50
$70
Hotel Palma Royale(Bocas Town)
$105
$102
$92
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Olas(Bocas Town)
$49
  • Restaurant
Posada Isla Chica(Bocas Town)(Great Value!)
$39
$38
Hotels.com
Swan's Cay Hotel(Bocas Town)
$59
$52
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsher daughtertroop of howler monkeysbeach barliving arealocal phonejungle settinggrounds are stunningcabs are plentifulday bedtropical birdsflying piratestaxi ridecool breezethe ownerrented bikesin townthe kitchen
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We just loved our time at Monkey Tree but it is not for everybody. The owner doesn't live there and the caretakers speak no English, so there you are. But if you are even mildly self-sufficient you will really like it here in this manicured-jungle setting. We both speak some Spanish. For about $85 you get a whole house, with veranda, kitchen, bedroom, big bathroom, and laundry facilities on the premises. Every morning early, I would wander around the compound bird watching. Parrots, hawks, hummingbirds, etc.
There is a small beach right across the road and we swam there all the time. You can also go up to the hostel, pay $5 and use their facilities which includes a pool with chairs, restaurant, and the dock where you can swim or kayak from.
The downside at MTC is they never changed our sheets or towels, nor took out our garbage during our 5 night stay. They said after 3 nights, but...
Our kitchen ran out of gas and the caretaker was replacing the tank in less than 2 hours, which was impressive!
Right next door to MTC is Gargolo's Pizza which is wood fired and very good. (Review in restaurants)

Room Tip: Casita 1 has the kitchen inside, casita 2 it's on the veranda.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank treeshaker
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This place is awesome! Love the casitas situated in the forest. Very quiet and peaceful. Heather is very kind and accomodating. The place is out of a fantasy book. The casitas are clean and fun to hang out in! At night, the sounds are very pleasant and you can connect with nature.

Room Tip: Any of the three rooms will be great.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JTNM
Reviewed February 12, 2013

As you open the large heavy gate at the entrance to the MonkeyTree, you face what one could call Paradise. You wander down a pebbled pathway - and through the glorious hibiscus shrubs and Bird of Paradise plants you see the casitas. These casitas were fabulous! They were spacious, extremely clean and had everything you need for a very relaxing yet luxerious experience. We loved it! Spending our days wandering the Caribbean beaches or visiting the town of |bocas - there was so much to do.We would highly recomment renting quads from town and touring the island on your own and also just relaxing in the rainforest at the casitas. The multitude of birds was magical - and as promised the monkeys came. Heather was an excellent hostess. She was a wealth of information and was a pleasure to spend time with.
We highly recomment the MonekyTree Casitas. It is an experience you will never forget.
We cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Valerie L
HeatherG97, Owner at Monkey Tree Casitas, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

I thank you for your perceptions and will take everything that you have said in consideration to improve my operation in the future.
I apologized sincerely for the fact that the housekeepers did not show up that day. It is the first time they have made that mistake.
I provide a telephone for each house with which guests can call me in English is they do not speak Spanish. I wish you would have called me, I could have interpreted for you or answered any questions you may have had.
Guests are instructed to take their own garbage out to the garbage cans. The garbage instructions appear on the information for guests sheet that I send all of my guests, and inside each house on a laminated card.
I thank you for coming, and am very pleased that you loved the place even though there were a couple of criticisms.

Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

The Monkey Tree is a small accommodation for the person who wants to be close to town but not in it, close to the seaside but not on it and all the amenities of home

Heather (the owner) is a wonderful hostess who makes sure your stay is everything you hoped for. The grounds are kept beautifully by an on the property grounds keeper. He does an excellent job and ensures you always have that jungle feel.

The casitas are built on stilts with kitchenettes and full bath facilities. There are three on the property to maintain the tranquility we were looking for.

Town is five minutes away by a $3 taxi ride. Just stop at the front gate, put your hand out and climb in. Just that easy. We love it. Did I say we want to stay forever!?

Wildlife abounds and if you're up early enough, you'll hear the howler monkeys and parrots chirping. Watch closely though!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Rndtwn
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This place was the highlight of our leg in Bocas, and one of the fondest memories my friend and I have of Panama.

Pull the beautiful seashell to unlock the gigantic wood doors to this private property. Imagine your own little home (we had Casita 2 - I believe there are 3, and all were spaced out very nicely), with a beautiful bedroom (antique lamps, french doors...), leading out to an elevated outdoor hardwood terrace with a luxurious hammock, and full outdoor kitchen and dining set, overlooking the rainforest, while the ocean waves crash in the distance. Come back from dinner and have sparkling wine (about $7 per bottle at any grocer in town) in the rainforest and let the distant waves soothe you while you doze off in the hammock. Or maybe you - like we were - will be so inspired by your surroundings that you make a leisurely breakfast while the surroundings come to life by day.

When we walked in, my friend actually walked back out and took out his camera, stating "I have to document this." The bamboo beams, the hardwood, the finishes in the room...all lovely.

Heather, I have to ask you: why haven't you doubled your prices?

Many people asked us what it was like to stay "out of town." The answer? Amazing. And seriously, it's only 5 minutes away - laughable. To dispel the myth, Bocas isn't that big, the town isn't that nice, and you won't get any rainforest action if you pick a hotel or hostel on the main drag. What you will get is easy access to restaurants (try La Casbah, slightly off the main drag but very good) - all fine and dandy, but a $3 pp cab and 5 minute drive with Panamanian tunes playing as you zip along the water - is a fine price to pay to have your slice of the rainforest. Trust me, it's still easy to party. You'll also be provided with a free cell phone to call taxis (or anyone else) at any hour. Hot tip: Miguel "El Famoso" Espinosa is outstanding and was typically there within minutes, but there were many options (provided on business cards when we arrived). We felt like such locals! You can also rent bikes on the property, though they were taken out on the day we tried.

And the service - even on Christmas - was excellent. Heather (the owner) called Luli, her housekeeper who was very friendly, when we arrived on Christmas day and Luli forced the phone into our hands. Even from the mainland, Heather greeted us and ensured we were settled and told us to call anytime.

A must stay in Bocas.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank adale09
HeatherG97, Owner at Monkey Tree Casitas, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you so much for your colorful descriptive account of your stay.
You really write well!
Come again.
We have special discount for writers and artist.