“Party hostel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mondo Taitu

Mondo Taitu
“Party hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for nearly a week and had a good time. It's a bit out of town but good for those wanting to meet people, drink every night and party- quite a young crowd. The music is quite loud but is turned off by midnight so it wasn't a huge problem. Breakfast is a bit chaotic as everyone tries to make pancakes with one frypan, but it's a relaxed atmosphere. Overall we had a good time and would recommend to others :)

• Stayed August 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hostel is really cool! With all the paintings and surfboards on the walls, the atmosphere is very inviting. The staff is really nice and they host 80's night with cheap beer!! Yeah!

The dorms were clean and the washrooms also. The kitchen could use a little cleaning up but was very well equipped.

Definitely will go back to Mondo when I come back to Bocas!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Mondo Taitu - I don't really know what to say, in the guide books and on internet blogs this claims to be the most happening place in Bocas. We stayed only one night and then moved on to somewhere else pretty quickly.

Two of our group stayed in a private double and the other two in a dorm. The private room was located right next to the reception and although private was pretty damp and dirty. A heavy tropical shower started shortly after we checked in and a leak in the ceiling meant that our bed (sheets, pillow and mattress) got wet and the floor flooded - not ideal. The staff said they would replace them but they didn't. The feedback from the dorms were they were also dirty and pretty cramped. Kitchen facilities were limited and if more than one set of people is trying to cook there are barely enough plates/utensils for everyone.

We thought that we could probably look past all of that because this place is known for its parties and awesome atmosphere not cleanliness. However the place was dead - there were a few other guests there but when the bar opened at 7.30 there was no massive influx of Bocas party-ers or even any at all. We thought we'd wait a while but when it became apparent that no one else was coming we headed into town to find the party elsewhere. We though that maybe it was low season but from staying at the next hostel we found out there was a party scene it just wasn't at Mondo.

The place is coolly decorated with a massive tree root in the middle and has cheap surfboards to rent but apart from that it doesn't have much going for it. If you are looking for cleanliness and/or a party don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kirsten C

Travelers are raving about these Bocas Town hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Mondo Taitu is a great place if you're looking for an MTV-spring break sort of experience. There is a bar in the hostel that is popular and oft-visited. While the staff were all friendly, I found the service to be less than desirable. The bathrooms were often dirty, it took a long time to have requests met, and it always seemed that the staff would rather be partying than working. The refrigerator in the dorm was out of order.
I paid the $2 extra to stay in an air-conditioned dorm; it was cool (actually often freezing!), but crowded and dirty. The staff didnt do much, including not change the sheets between guests or take out the very full trash even once in the three nights I stayed. I kept thinking I should just change hostels, but it seemed like more trouble than it was worth.
The location is very easy for Bocas, no complaints there! Free coffee and breakfast, but not till 8am. There was also free wifi, but it didn't work in the dorm.

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

As soon as I walked into this place I just felt good vibes. The staff is really friendly and chill. We got a private tree fort for the three of us and got 10% off cause were staying for three nights. We have our own toilet and sink but not shower. The bar had a themed party on our first night and a drinking game at the bar so it was really fun. There is a kitchen for guests and it's amazingly clean! The staff at the front desk wants to help you go out and do things and they're very informative. I'm really had we stayed here and highly suggest anyone coming to Bocus to stay here.

• Stayed May 2013
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is the first place I stayed when I came to Bocas and I would not stay there again. I love the decorations and the vibe they are trying to go for. I didn't mind the noise too much, but the place itself could really use a good, strong scrubbing. And probably fumigation, as I came back with a line of huge, red bites down my right side after my last night there. With all that being said though, this is still one of my favorite bars in town. The bartenders are really nice and I have gotten free shots more times than I can count. The happy hour cannot be beat, and even after the bar shuts down, they will walk with you or tell you where the best party is to go to next. But the hostel is one of the cheapest in town, so I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed at Mondo a few months back and had an absolute blast! Great atmosphere, exactly what we were looking for. The staff was wonderful, and Jack gave us awesome recommendations about activities and food. I think we had some of the best meals of our lives due to his recommendations, and everyone went out of their way to make sure we were enjoying ourselves While there everyone really felt like one big family. We shared a private room which was clean and we never had any trouble sleeping at night.

We were sorry to leave and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
#4 of 17 in Isla Bastimentos
Panama's Paradise Saigoncito
Panama's Paradise Saigoncito
#2 of 41 in Bocas Town

Been to Mondo Taitu? Share your experiences!