“Great location, great food, wonderful service!”
Review of El Ultimo Refugio

El Ultimo Refugio
Ranked #3 of 71 Restaurants in Bocas Town
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Switzerland
“Great location, great food, wonderful service!”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

What is there more to say? Food is excellent, the location over the water is perfect and the ambiance is fantastic :-)

Visited June 2012

• Hebrew first
Tybee Island, Georgia
“Back in Bocas again, and back to one of our favorite restaurants!”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We started our wonderful meal with passion fruit margaritas, followed by an appetizer of home made hummus and veggies, and the passion fruit shrimp. My entree was the chicken breast salad, which could sound boring, but is heavenly. Chef Kathryn not only has the chicken prepared to perfection, but with basil marinated tomatoes, chick peas, fresh romaine, and olives, no dressing is even needed! My husband had the grilled snapper, with rice, and fresh steamed vegetables, which again was prepared to perfection. We were too full for dessert this visit but will be back again soon during our stay in Bocas. The food here is healthy but decadent!

• Visited May 2012
Bocas del Toro, Panama
“"El Ultimo en Servicio Malo" should be the name”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I believe in giving credit where credit is due, so I will start by saying that the food here is above decent. However, judging from the reviews here, the owner has many, many friends who give this place great reviews so she can keep new people coming in. I am no stranger to Panama and Bocas del Toro, I have been coming here several times per year for 7 years now and I know what to expect from the waitstaff in Panmama (especially in Bocas), and anyone who has been here knows what that means. I had heard some negative comments about this place over the years, but decided to give it a try because I was looking for a different dining experience in Bocas and really, really wish I had not because I wasted a lot of time and money here. The gringa waitress tonight seemed more interested in chatting with the bartender and staring off into space than earning her FORCED 10% tip (10% included tip is now standard throughout Panama; no wonder the service is so bad!). After sitting at my table for nearly 15 minutes, I was about to get up and leave when the "waitress" came over and gave a half-wit apology claiming that she had not seen me come in; although I had walked right past her while she was sitting at the bar, there were only three other tables seated, and I tried many times to get her attention. Since the menu looked so great, I decided to stay, hoping her apology was sincere and the service would get better; needless to say, it did not. I was finally served the drink I ordered, and then my food came right away after that. Halfway through the meal, I tried multiple times to get her attention to bring me water (which costs approx $3 by the way), but she never even glanced my way, let alone ask how my dinner was. Once my plate was as empty as my glass, she finally came over and took the plate away and brought the check. I have never been so happy to leave a restaurant and so upset that I was forced to give this person 10% of the total check (Normally I tip 20-25%, even with only decent service). You could not pay me to go back to this place, ever. There are better dining options in Bocas and I will continue to patronize those establishments.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank theunfolding
Katherine D, Owner at El Ultimo Refugio, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
We apologize for the poor service. My regular server cancelled on his shift at the last minute and someone else came in to help on very short notice. This mistake will not be repeated and that particular person will not be working in the restaurant again. I am sorry that you had a bad experience and feel confidant that our others staff members will carry on our reputation of quick and friendly service in the future.
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Amazing food and so fresh”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

The selection of fresh food was great. I had the most amazing chicken salad that I have had since travelling in STH America. It had so many different things in it including, feta, marinated Tomatoes, olives . It was a decent size and came promptly, which I can say can be rare in Panama.
This was followed by homemade cheescake and fudge sauce devine

Visited May 2012
Kailua, Hawaii
“Good, but not great”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Had dinner here, we ordered the Tuna very rare, and got it medium. It was presented well. Drinks were so so, but the dessert was spectacular. Some kind of Peanut butter,Chocolate, Snickers frozen cheese cake thing, but it was far and away the best thing we ate in Bocas. One thing that hurts this place is the furniture. Those all wood chairs are flat and hard, and could use some cushions.

• Visited April 2012