“Sandflies, Sunsets and Beauty”

Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Isla Colon
Reviewed April 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in April. It was a huge splurge but we had a great time there. It's beautiful. Just imagine waking up to calm blue Caribbean waters and jumping in for a quick swim before full cooked breakfast, then chilling out on the recliners watching fish jumping out of the ocean! Service was great, the staff is really friendly and helpful. There were definitely some setbacks including sandflies which didn't give me any mercy, so I recommend you go prepared! Here's a bit more detail : wp.me/p2mYTP-I3

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ashesc84

Reviewed January 17, 2014

We definitely splurged by booking here but we after 17 years of marriage we decided to live it up. I'm so glad we did! The accommodations were fantastic to the point that we had to remind ourselves it was real. A lot has been said about the tranquility of the hotel, and it's truly special, but we were most impressed by the way the staff interacts with the customers. They are quickly there if you need them but also quiet and fall into the background if appropriate. We very much felt that they were interested in making the time special for us. What an amazing experience--I highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Coffee is not served until 8AM so you may want to plan ahead if you suffer caffeine headaches by wai...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jon P
Reviewed January 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Punta Caracol for 6nights in lead up to Christmas 2013. Overall we really enjoyed ourselves and we felt VERY relaxed leaving. If I were to break it down, below are our pro's and con's:

Pro's:

The staff are very friendly and accomodating, we got on best with Mario a young guy who had just started working at the resort. We were getting a bit of cabin fever so we arranged to head into Bocas one night, he showed us the best places to go and arranged a taxi boat home for us (which wasn't cheap $60 one way! but it was worth it).

The food is good for Panama, even though there was a set menu for the evening meals they were happy to accomodate any changes.

The wifi was down and we did not have phone signal, usually this would be a con but actually I felt it really helped me relax and completley shut off from the outside world.

The huts are very clean and you do feel quite private when relaxing on your little dock.

Kayaking and snorkel equipment is provided free of charge.

Cons:

For the amount of money you spend to stay here we really felt that more alcoholic drinks should be included and that soft drinks should be free. I know it's not an all inclusive resort but they could offer at least one complimentary alcoholic drink a day, as lets be honest it's not going to put a burden on their profit margins!

The day trips were limited and over priced for what you got, we were lucky on one of our day trips a couple from Miami came on the boat with us and they could speak Spainish so we got a few extra stops included.

The wildlife and coral is disappointing, there are quite a lot of fish and dolphins but we expected more.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Laura K
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Dont get me wrong if this place were cheaper, I'd be giving it 5. It's an amazing peaceful location, the rooms are gorgeous, particularly the bedroom upstairs. The problem was the price. At $450 per night I would have expected much better. For dinner on Christmas day I had lukewarm lasagne as I didn't fancy the seafood option. This place is supposed to be an Eco lodge but they give you 3 bottles of mineral water per day...really? Entertainment consist of expensive tours, a kayak or snorkelling, that's it. Thank goodness there where some Brazillians staying who got the staff to play some cool bossa nova music, otherwise the staff's music of choice was hip hop. They had also taken a booking from a large French family who took most of the rooms and completely dominated the restaurant. In such a small place and being only a couple, this was not good. A memorable stay, but not worth the price tag

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alan C
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I have been here 2 times and both were so amazing.. The food was delicious and plenty.. I am pretty sure I gained 5 pounds both weekends.. The staff is nice and helpful, the rooms are cozy and comfortable. A truly romantic place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SimoneMaduro
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Nice location and very peaceful. Food is great and nice staff. Interiors can be better. bug bites are nasty. Snorkeling is easy since you can just get out of the room to do it though you don't see tons of fishes as the coral reef's dead mostly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank VjKr
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights as part of our honeymoon. Didn't think much of Bocas del Toro (nondescript backpacker town) but this location was great for a couple of nights. I would echo other reviewers comments - idyllic with very attentive staff offset by poor interiors to the accommodation (ours looked pretty worn out) and a lack of tours. That said if you want to lie on one of the beds off the bar area, drink cocktails or champagne and chill - as good a place as anywhere in Panama.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Olas
Hotel Olas
#11 of 13 in Bocas Town
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
Popa Paradise Beach Resort

Been to Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge? Share your experiences!