All reviews free shuttle nice resort large hotel breakfast buffet is beautiful pool cab ride taxis
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The best in the island, it is not in the center, very clean, great service
Breakfast is include and plenty the barand restaurant has great food
Best rooms 103, 104
Great shuttle bus to town free
Kayak free
And the prices for tours are the same as the ones on town with the benefit that the boat will pick and leave you in the hotel
We went with our kids and my fathers in law a very family friendly hotel

Room tip: Ac is a little noisy and walls are thin But believe me the tile floor and small details are nothing The rest of the hotels are awful
Date of stay: February 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Ale C
Fernando_Machado, Director of Operations at Playa Tortuga Hotel & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Ale C,

Thanks for your enthusiastic comments about your family experience at Playa Tortuga Hotel and Beach Resort!

We are happy you enjoyed our breakfast buffet, the Baulas restaurant service, our clean rooms with balcony and ocean view, and complimentary Kayak. .

Thanks also for your positive comments about our free shuttle service. Many guests like this free amenity.

Bocas del Toro is a destination with great natural beauty and nice caring people. Our associates strive to offer warm, welcoming service. We will share with them this information.

Best regards,

Fernando Machado
Director of Operations
Playa Tortuga Hotel and Beach Resort

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had 1 night in Playa Tortuga before transiting to Isla Popa and choose it as it was virtually the only hotel on Isla Colon with any availability. First impressions were good - we were met at the airport by a shuttle bus service and the driver gave us an amusing tour of Bocas Town on the way to the resort. Things went down hill from there. The smiley welcome we received at the airport was not replicated at check-in where staff were functional at best.

The room itself is exactly what I would expect of a reasonably priced Caribbean resort - tiled floors, sliding windows on one side, air con etc. Our air con was leaking pretty severely when we arrived, causing some flooding on the floor. We asked for someone to look at it and it was sorted, but not overly quickly. We had two relatively small double beds in the room - perfectly fine but no better.

We used the shuttle service to get into Bocas Town for dinner and again it was excellent.

Date of stay: December 2012
1  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed January 23, 2013

it is a hype the beach water is dirty, could not even take a deep but yes they do have a clean swimming pool, drinks in the bar are very expensive, there is no light on the patio to relax or read a book. they do not even have a an iron to iron your clothes, when i asked for one they said they do not have one. front desk staff is very frindly and helpful but to pay $170 per night is not worth it, you could stay at local hotel in town and enjoy the beach somewere else.

1  Thank fariaz14
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is the second time I stayed here. The first visit was good. The last was not. The rooms were clean and nice and the pool area too. The service, however was deplorable. We were served a salad without lettuce. When we complained they returned after a long time with chopped lettuce to put in the dump into the now soggy salad. We booked a tour and showed up at the correct time. The tour guides were unorganized and read room numbers off a piece of crumpled paper. They was great confusion and our guide left without us. After waiting nearly and hour, I demanded they arrange another tour downtown. We only had one day for this tour. After much confusion and hassle they finally arranged for it only after I got mad and threatened to check out a day early and leave. When we checked out the next day surprise surprise...they had my room charges wrong. That was the last straw. We will never return to this hotel. They say it is a top hotel in Bocas. I say they are a nice hotel wannabe. Decent rooms but horrible service.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank mariommendoza
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for 2 nights early in January. I knew that I did not want to stay downtown in a hotel , I wanted something much quieter and with lovely grounds as well as on the water. So we chose to stay here. I have read many of the recent reviews and I have to say I agree with many of them . The hotel really needs to step it up. From our room there was quite a septic smell at times, the staff was not very attentive at all. None were rude, but none offered great service either. This could be due to the automatic 10% gratutity added to your bill. Our room was satifactory as far as cleanliness, but I would have preferred it to be much better. Our room was spacious and everything worked very well. I believe it is time they should invest some money into this resort and do some upgrades as well. What I did like about the hotel was the grounds, they were lovely. For me this was a big plus as I didn't spend much time in our room anyways. I enjoyed the little cabana for lunch and a few drinks. I didn't enjoy the main diningroom as it was much like a cafeteria style. Bright lights, plain tables. But on the other hand in the morning when we chose to eat outside by the ocean, no one seemed to have any issue with this. I would actually have given this a 2 1/2 star but my choice is 2 or 3. For a 3 star rating I would expect it to be cleaner and better service, but again the grounds were wonderful.

2  Thank Debbie M