I went to Playa Tortuga with a group of friends, there were 10 of us.
The bus was there to pick us up at the Bocas Airport - we checked in pretty efficiently and they allowed us an early check in. (Our flight arrived at 7:30am from Panama City). Those both surprised me. The views from our room were simply amazing. We overlooked the ocean and a hut bar.
We ate breakfast at the buffet (Breakfast buffet is free to guests, but we came early, was not included - $17)
We arranged tours through the front desk. That flowed very well. There was a dock on the back of the hotel for the water taxis to arrange transportation.
Now our hotel seemed very clean, but it was old - and run down, there was moisture in the rooms as well. So if you think this is a fine resort - you will be disappointed. It is serviceable and I was pleased.
The hotel staff was not equipped to handle issues (such as bees overtaking the breakfast buffet), extra towels, arranging a shuttle to go to town, bars staying open after 11pm, slow response from the front desk - these are things that I've grown accustomed to in Panama after living here for 2 1/2 years. So I was not surprised - had I come from the US without having that knowledge, I would have been severely annoyed.
Playa Tortuga did have a nice pool area, the view was absolutely amazing, you could listen to the ocean at night from your room. The beds were comfortable. The lobby area provided space for meeting up with groups.
Another small drawback is you are away from Bocas Town - however there is a free shuttle that runs and a taxi will charge $2 (per person / before midnight / each way), or you can arrange water taxis - but it's fairly accessible.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tropical Caribbean Beach Resort on the crystal clear waters of Bocas del Toro, Panama.Playa Tortuga offers 117 stylish room accommodations, each with a balcony and spectacular ocean view. Guests may choose from standard rooms, junior suites and large grand suites, all offering a contemporary décor, modern amenities and a soothing tropical atmosphere.Relax in the hotel’s sea view pool, or sunbathe in our water mirrors while enjoying your favorite beverage from the nearby bar area. Little ones will enjoy the children’s pool. Other modern and convenient amenities include free WIFI and a state of the art Fitness Center featuring a private massage area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Playa Tortuga Hotel & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Tortuga Hotel And Beach Resort
- Playa Tortuga Hotel & Beach Isla Colon
- Playa Tortuga Resort Beach
- Playa Tortuga Hotel & Beach Resort Panama/Bocas Del Toro - Isla Colon