“Still good but service and standards have slipped a little”

The Lalu Sun Moon Lake
Ranked #4 of 130 Hotels in Nantou County
Reviewed March 15, 2012

This is our second stay at Lalu, the first being about 6 years ago. We booked a 1 bedroom pool villa this time.This is our favorite room type as although it does not offer great view of the lake, we have a private pool all to ourselves. Unfortunately, the pool was not heated to the 29 degree Celsius as claimed and it was not possible to swim in the chilly Spring evenings. The room is spacious with a living area blended into the sleeping quarter ,an open air shower area, a huge indoor sunken bath and 2 wall mounted showers with seats.One really cannot fault the layout of the room, which is also very well maintained with fresh orchids by the nightstands, fresh comfy linens and quality pillows and mattress.Cleanliness, however, leaves something to be desired. While the high traffic area were kept spick and span, I had the misfortune to spy piles of dirt behind the nightstand, on the underside of the lamp shade, beneath the 'lazy bone' cushion, as well as at the back of the TV. I even found a pair of dirty gloves left behind by the maintainance staff in the open air shower area.
We bought a package that include two set dinners at the Chinese restaurant. While the food is good, we prefer the ala carte menu from the last time.So, it would be wise to buy dinner seperately if quality fine dining is priority.
Service is still prompt and subtle, hence winning a four star from me despite the shortfall in cleanliness.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed January 14, 2012

My family of 4 shared the villa for one night. We needed a break. The villa is more expensive then the other rooms however it was not cleaned properly. 2 of the tea cups were not cleaned at all, where one had a sticky residue sitting on the bottom and the other had tea leaves still stuck to the cup. I found short curly hair that appears to be from private areas in the tub.

The remainder of the space appeared clean enough, but just the other areas made me coil. My mother made a comment to me that she didn't think the room was cleaned properly, which leads me to think there were questionable points in her side of the villa.

I used the gym and was disappointed that the only air vent in the room was on the opposite end of the cardio machines and near the entrance. So when I went in the morning and there was a man running on the treadmill, the whole room smelled of his sweat and was musky. I had to ask staff to turn up the AC, which helped minimally. You can tell the developers did not make big plans for the gym, it's open from 7 AM-11 PM.

We ate at both the restaurant and the morning buffet. The food we ordered for lunch was good, the staff was hot and cold. We had to wave down staff 3X to order, but they were swift to take finished plates away. The morning buffet is fine, but not special. For the amount of money spent and considering it is on the high end of hotels for Taiwan, it would've been nice to have something remarkable to say about the food. We had to order our coffee for breakfast (not good) instead of being asked for coffee, after already dining on breakfast for awhile. This is actually not a big deal, it just shows the buffet staff is not trained for being a luxury hotel.

Staff were friendly and polite. The view is spectacular, for sunny and overcast days, being that I am Chinese, the image of lingering clouds among the mountain tops is very beautiful and classic of Chinese artwork.

The hotel itself is beautiful and calming.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank thatannie
Reviewed January 12, 2012

For the view and location not to mention the history where former strongman Chiang Kai shek stayed also his son former president. Expensive but worth it but stay away from Chinese resto just the cafe buffet area! Very good rooms and modern design.

Room Tip: All rooms have good view of lake
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Denmayer
Reviewed December 30, 2011

This place was one of the highlights of our trip. The hotel offers a refuge from all the loud tour groups down by the ferry launch points. Even though this place is considered high end in Taiwan, it is a great value compared to similar hotels in the States. The staff is very helpful and friendly - we even met someone who lived in the city we were from! The views are incredible - multiple areas in the lobby and open spaces offer great vantage points, and the rooms open up to the lake. You definitely feel like this is your own sanctuary. The food at dinner (Chinese cuisine) was really high end and comparable to tasting menus at big name restaurants. Breakfast had a pretty big spread. Rooms are very comfortable. Wi-fi access in rooms and lobby area. Infinity pool also has great views but I would recommend going when it's sunnier as it's not that well-heated. Definitely worth it!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank aeropostale
Reviewed December 26, 2011

I do not want to spend time on the view from this hotel as it is reported before. I just want to write on the spa. We have a two days stay in the hotel. The hotel will be very quiet after six pm and there is almost no activity apart from the restaurant which also close early. We decided to spend the night in the spa. It is a bit expensive but we don't care as we want good service. The spa is supposed to open till 11pm and, as suggested by the receptionist in the spa we have booked a 90min massage at 9.30 pm. We arrived at 9 pm to get things ready. We took a bath and not until 9.40 pm there is a lady coming toask us to choose the massage oil. By the time we reached the room it is almost 10pm. The room is incredibly hot with a fire place. We asked them to turn off the fire place and get some fresh air. Then we were left in the room for a foot bath (which was not mentioned) It is after 10 .15 pm when we started. I told the receptionist that I need strong massage but what I get is a painful massage with sharp fingernails. At around 10.50, the therapist left the room and I not being told was still lying on the couch. Not until my wife came over, I do not know the treatment is finished. I have to spend sometime to look for my robe which the therapist had tossed it to a corner. A 90 min turned out to to be a 35 min painful massage. Worse to come is that when I was still changing in the men' room , the lady receptionist intruded into the saying that the staff are leaving soon. (luckily I have my underwear on). Of course we have paid the full amount as they were so clever to charge it first.
I think if the spa has to close exactly at 11pm, they should not accept a 90 min massage at 9.30 and they should not say in the pamphlet a 90 min deep tissue massage if it in fact include all our waiting time, preparation work , choosing the massage oil, tea and refreshment and the foot bath

Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HKSHB
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I simply love the staff at the Lalu! They are so helpful and the service is ace! The entrance of the hotel is quiet but enticing, food is great and most importantly, the room has a fantastic view as it overlooks the Sun Moon lake. You get to see the beautiful sunrise in the morning! I stayed in the club suite which has a large balcony. Love chilling outside and enjoying the awesome view. Will be back again for sure.

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the SunMoon lake.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank poppy313
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We travelled as a big group of friends, despite we did not stay here, we came here to experience the relaxed environment and had our dinner at the Chinese Restaurant. The view along the walkway and at the restaurant was awesome. We wish we have had reserved this hotel.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends