The lobby is really quite lovely -- Westerners would call it a 'chalet style' -- all in wood, nicely detailed, with pretty views of the lake. The lobby furniture is inappropriate, sort of French neo-classical, but with two Chinese rosewood chairs to the side, one with a very large stuffed teddy bear. Everything is like that: it always misses the mark.
Our room had a nice balcony but construction nearby made it very noisy. The heavy cypress (cedar?) smell made the room a bit overwhelming -- everything is paneled. Carpet was old.
Breakfasts were pretty grim, an all you can eat buffet in an unappealing dining room. One dinner we had was so bad as to be laughable; I'm always fond of what seems to be a Taiwanese favorite -- veggies with squiggles of mayo all over!! The next dinner was perfectly edible. There was music on the pier one night - a nice guy playing Western songs - but it really only provided more laughs.
The lake tour is dull, but the nearby hiking, especially to the tea plantation was really special. The views were breathtaking and worth the trip. North Americans who might be expecting Lake Tahoe, Lake Louise or the Finger Lakes, won't think much of Sun Moon Lake. Go to Taroko Gorge first. If you come to Sun Moon Lake, stay somewhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lea Lea Hotels-SUN MOON LAKE is fine style and built by the cypress and owned the fame as "the first and big wooden house in Asia ". The unique location can let you enjoy the fun to angle for fish in balcony of the room. It is the special hotel near the sun moon lake which provides you a unique living experience.There are indoor swimming pool, sauna, Chinese chess room, business center, and there also are functional meeting room, a business center, gym. We provide the perfect service. A 180-degree spacious and bright round French window catches the scenes of Sun Moon Lake for you, the zero- distance lake moves the all kind of styles in four seasons. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Richforest Hotel-Sun Moon Lake reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Richforest Hotel Nantou
- Richforest Hotel Nantou
- The Richforest Hotel-Sun Moon Lake Taiwan/Nantou County