“Good for family with kids!”

Fleur de Chine Hotel Sun Moon Lake
Ranked #1 of 134 Hotels in Nantou County
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The hotel itself is very well designed and organized, superb service! My room has big bath tub, big balcony, and big flat screen TV.

Lots of things to do at the hotel: walking path along the lake, gardens, indoor pool/spa, kids playroom ...etc. And food is very good! Sky Lounge is stunning!

The only thing I don't like is wearing cap at pool/spa area like every other hotel in Taiwan,which I don't understand why?

Advice: no convenient store around, and ... avoid holidays!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 1, 2013

A nice facility with a great view to the lake. That is if you we're lucky and got such room.
For FITs it a bit too crowded. The place caters mainly to groups.
I stayed in rom 931 - with a stained carpets. Lots of goodies in the room!
Highly recommended buffet dinner although a bit too expensive. The service is great and generally we had a great though too short time

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

5 star hotel located on shores of Sun Moon Lake some 762 metres above sea level in the mountains of central Taiwan. As one would expect well appointed and clean rooms. There are no eating facilities nearby so unless you wish to pay NTS880 plus for buffet diner or even more in restaurant, take the opportunity at stop before hand at a 7 Eleven & stock up. There are excellent views and walks on the way to and at hotel. Hotel has an excellent bar area with reasonable prices. Views were not as spectacular due to misting caused by temperature inversion but area is till worth the visit. Breakfast was quite good, usual variety but enough to satisfy most tastes. Well worth the visit

Room Tip: if weather is good pay for upgrade to lake view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul_Joseph_88
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Having spent a luxurious week travelling through Taiwan and staying at 5 star hotels, I didn't think it could get any better but it has! This is an amazing hotel. Beautiful rooms, fantastic location and superb restaurant. Open kitchens cook and prepare to order. The sushi I and sushi bar was amazing.
The rooftop bar is not to besides especially to watch the sun set. Surely this is One of the best places to stay in Taiwan.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank coralhill
Reviewed January 30, 2013

About the hotel:
From outside, it is rather ugly with big concrete blocks (may be they need the structure for stability near the lake) but rooms, dining facilities and everything inside are all world class 5 stars materials. No doubt, this could be the most luxury place near famous vacation spot -- Sun Moon lake. Every room has a little bit view of the famous lake and you can even enjoy "certified" hot springs water inside your room! Even their Japanese style commode is a fun gadget in bathroom. As other TA reviewers mentioned, after check out, all staff need to go outside and wave their hands until your bus/car is out of their sights. Greeting at the lobby with Plum vinegar drink and some funny snacks (same one I have at expensive Chinese place for dinner).
Visit to spa with multiple pools with different temperatures is free and internet in room is also free (read it Grand Hi Lai Hotel!). Everywhere, it is tastefully decorated and well maintained garden is also noted. Overall, I again agree, it is a truly 5 stars hotel.

Food:
Breakfast buffet covers extensive Chinese food and even provides interesting features like extra fresh salad bar with Japanese dressings, bread with bamboo shoot pieces etc. Also provide croissant and different bakery products with fruits and so there is something for everyone. All kinds of eggs, omelet and try "thousand years old egg" with rice or rice porridge.
For dinner there is a different strategy. If you are on budget, try set menu for limited items like fried rice, Taiwanese noodle or some western food like burger at a small restaurant near lobby. That will cost around 300 NT$ (about 10 USD) and taste great per my friends. If you plan to spend at least 900 NT$, try dinner buffet. For me, I spent about the same amount for a set menu at Chinese restaurant (next to buffet place where chef was put inside glass chamber and cooked everything for you). It was a nice experience but it is a bit too bland to me and I WISH I ordered À la carte. There is some fusion idea and my seafood porridge contains rose flavor and ?some leaves. My stewed chicken with cabbage also has coffee flavor and there is another cabbage dish (see my pictures). This is a new Taiwanese take on traditional Chinese food but I'm not a big fan. There are more expensive options like fish from Sun Moon lake for 1200-1500NT$ in Chinese restaurant or try super fine dining upstairs and a Japanese Teppanyaki restaurant on the same floor.

I wish they speak/write in English:
- I was with a tour group (if I booked myself, it will cost more than 400US$) and so I didn't have a chance to chat with a receptionist at the time of check in. At the time of check out, I noticed that she is the only one who speaks English and this might be the only source of information in this hotel if you do not speak English.
- I aware that they are four restaurants with different styles but there is no sign in English and every place has similar cow sign in Chinese (see my picture). When I asked a smiling lady in front, she couldn't speak in English but took me to the Chinese place. At the Chinese restaurant, they first showed the menu in Chinese/English format at the front but for some unknown reason, they brought Chinese menu to the table.
- I could not find any alarm clock in my minimalist, Japanese style room but later I found a way to change the Chinese menu on the bedside telephone to English and set up a wake up call. I also later found out that you can do the same from your TV (go to eButler and choose wake up call option). Oh please, just treat me as a poor English speaking tourist, not as James Bond on a secret mission.

Room Tip: Try to use a local travel agent or group tour for a better price. DIY/Internet booking does not win...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank bigboy61455
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The view from lakeview room is very charming. The water world recreation club was fun too, with many varieties of jacuzzi. The food (breakfast and dinner) are delicious, the best redeeming factor for the hotel. Extremely friendly service, good view of the room and is clean, good food and good pool.We really love the buffet at breakfast and dinner, my kids just love everything about this hotel. We also enjoy the hot spring bath as well.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank monays
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband while on a private tour of SunMoon Lake and Alishan mountain. It was truly a joy to behold the grandeur both externally and inside the hotel! As it wasn't husband's birthday, I upgraded the room to have a lake view and it was worth every penny. Every room had its own hot spring bath, and the hotel has 28 different types of pillows for your selection if you happen to dislike the one in your room (seriously? It was more comfortable than my own back home!) my husband and I enjoyed soaking in our private hot spring bath while looking out into the lake, and then zipping downstairs to the water world area to have fun at the various water features. Warm water jets out from various structures that you can choose - we lingered for quite a whole on the funky ceramic deck chairs that had water jet out from tiny holes everywhere to give our tired old bones some much-needed massage :) then we dared each other to jump into a less heated exercise swimming pool to swim 2 laps. LOL it was fun cos we went during the low season and had the whole place to ourselves.

Then we went back to our room, and the hotel surprised my husband with a complimentary birthday cake. Hooray for excellent service! My husband was happy and so I'm happy too :)

The activity area has snooker/pool, table soccer, Xbox and table games for the restless youths amongst us. So totally recommended for families and also couples looking for a relaxing time.

• Stayed: January 2013