“5* Service, excellent teacher, best locations for learning”

Bandula Surfing School
Ranked #1 of 17 Tours in Tangalle
More attraction details
Owner description: The surfing experience is going to be something exciting and mind blowing despite the age and performance level of the surfers. We organize private surfing lessons with a VIP service. Surf guiding for intermediate and professional surfers and kids surf lessons for any age levels with all equipment will be available for ultimate satisfaction of all our guests. Guests will be accompanied to the suitable surfing locations depending on their performance levels. The beaches we take for the surfing adventure are certifiably safe and absolutely undisturbed.
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I first met Bandula a year ago when staying at The 5* Amanwella hotel. I paid for a surf trip and Bandulla was their man to take guests out. He took me to a secret spot where i got long rides and some great waves in a gorgeous location. We had a fun day and Bandula was a fantastic teacher. A year later i booked alot of time at Hikkaduwa and found the surf to be big and very fast breaking, hard to get on as a beginner/intermediate, i caught next to no waves and all i could think about was last years trip with Bandula and that perfect beach and easy rides. So i headed down and found Bandula had left the Aman hotel and set up on his own. It was great meeting him again and we went to the same spot and got even better waves, he also showed me other beaches he takes beginners to. He still provides the same excellent service installed by the Aman, cold drinks, cold towels, etc.
I will probably be coming back next year and booking a week of surfing in the Tangalle area with Bandula as for beginner /intermediates this is the best area in Sri Lanka to learn, so much variety. Highly recommended!!!

1  Thank mitsimo
There are newer reviews for Bandula Surfing School

Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

I've spent 3 days surfing together with Bandula. For that time I got enough experience to surf on a green waves by myself. I was newbie before. Great service and team. Thanks!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Today we went surfing with Bandula and one other of his instructors and had a really, really great day with them. Bandula is a mobile surfing school based in Tangalle in beautiful southern Province of Sri Lanka.

Neither one of us had any previous experience and would could not have found a more perfect teacher or location. The beach was a little bit secluded but easy to access and there was only one other surfer present. The water was shallow for about 100 meters with a steady beach break. We could start out in white water and then work our way a little further out as our abilities allowed. It was the perfect location for beginners to intermediates. If you are already advanced Bandula knows a spot as well, so don’t hesitate to hit him up for that…

Bandula and his instructor were super friendly, exceptionally patient and both speak fluent English so language was no barrier at all. Everything was explained thoroughly and before we hit the water we taken through a warm up to get the body ready and of course the necessary explanations on dry sand. Every move was covered and practiced a couple of times so when we hit the water we felt well prepared.

Once in the water each one of us was paired with an instructor walking us through each wave. And after each wave we received feedback on what we did good and what we could still do better. So after only a few waves we were surfing. (well, at least my girlfriend was.) Again both Bandula and his colleague were super-patient taking their time instructing and correcting, even taking us back to the beach for some minor readjustments of our technique.

What we would like to mention especially was how they managed to get my girlfriend surfing. She is always a tad bit afraid of the strength of the ocean, but with Bandulas teaching and assistance that was no problem at all. On the other hand, once they had me on the right path, they allowed me my freedom to try things out by myself. So, all in all the mixture between letting go and being there for us was just perfect.

To wrap this up we would like to mention the equipment. They had 3 boards with them for all phases of learning. 2 softer ones for beginners and a proper (right word?) one for the advanced. They brought towels, cold drinks and even a lycra shirt to protect us from the midday sun. We were picked up at home via their TucTuc and dropped off afterwards.

The only thing we would change is booking a couple of days in a row! It makes sense to have a few consecutive days of surfing to tune in your technique.

And if you read this far rest assured that the price he charges is more than reasonable and well worth it.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I was recommended Bandula by a friend as the best surf guide in Sri Lanka and they were so right!

From day one we got an absolutely stellar service. I am and advanced surfer and paddle surfer and wanted to get car service and local knowledge to the breaks between Galle and Tangalle on my honeymoon in Sri Lanka.

Bandula would pick me up in a great car from the resort everyday and we would check out some of the most picturesque and empty surf spots I have ever been to in my life. Gayan, his driver and colleague was a rarity .... the safest driver we saw in Sri Lanka, none of that holding on for dear life overtaking three cars kind of driving, it made both my wife and I feel so safe and secure in the car.

Bandula also took as on a few non surf trips, an elephant safari, turtle hatching, and proved to be a great guide outside the water too. He even came to Galle to take me surfing. He made the trip very special, he knows the coastline like the back of his hand, he is also a life guard ( which immediately puts you at ease ) but its also his hospitality, kind nature, warm outlook and constant smile that make you feel this is not a job for him, you feel you are surfing with an old friend on their home break. Top class service, I can't wait to go back.

1  Thank Haris Z
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I can't say enough good things about my experience with Bandula and his staff. He took me to the best surfing breaks that only the locals know of. It was great to get away from the tourist beaches and discover Sri Lanka's hidden gems. I've surfed with plenty of surf guides all around the world who think that their job is to catch thousands of waves to 'show me how it is done'. Not Bandula, he is the most courteous guy to share a lineup with. Even with just the two of us out he would sit patiently next to me calling me into all of the best waves and making sure that I was safe at all times. Wow what a guy. I can't wait to get back to Tangelle to share some more good times with all of the staff at Bandula's Surfing School.