“good lesson, learned again!”

Turtle Landing Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 181 Restaurants in Tangalle
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 24, 2014

last night we had a pretty good meal at a different restaurant with painfully slow service, an absolutely gorgeous and romantic ambience on a quiet and perfect beach east of Tangalle. tonight we went to this trip advisor highly recommended place and were dismayed that no one was eating there when we arrived at 7:15pm, and it was a rather humble establishment. weren't even sure we were at the right place. but once we settled in and realized it really was the place where the ginger garlic sauce livens up all of the fresh sea food, we settled in to the lovely view over the bay, and the friendly and thoughtful service. the arrival of the food was preceded by the aroma of ginger and garlic sautéing in the kitchen - and the white fish and prawn dinners did not disappoint. fabulous! with a very tasty bowl of sauce to enhance the mound of fluffy rice laced with veggies, as well as a crunchy cabbage pineapple tomato cucumber salad. really very special - and we learned for the gazillionth time that you can't always trust your first impression. highly recommended.

1  Thank plotsky

Reviewed February 24, 2014

This is the best thing that we have eaten in tangalle! The food is amazing especially the sauce that comes with the prawns! The restaurant is right on the beach which is also a bonus! Great people running it! No complaints! Would eat there again anyday of the week!

1  Thank Jamie H
Reviewed February 24, 2014

During our time in Tangalle we dined twice at the turtle landing and the food was spectacular both times.
Overlooking the sea, sitting in this little restaurant by the bay and enjoying the beautifully food is the perfect evening.
We had prawns which came with the most amazing sauce as well as a generous portion of sides, as a matter of fact it was so good, we had to go back for more and we were immediately welcomed back by the host and his sister, who is the mastermind behind THAT sauce.

One of the best meals we had in Sri Lanka! Most certainly worth a visit.

Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Despite the cactus lounge next door being busier I had been advised by friends who are often in tangalle that Turtles Landing is better. I wasn't disappointed! The food was exquisite, I had fish, it was tasty, big and so meaty! The sides were the perfect size, we had rice, sambo and a delicious salad that complimented the fresh seafood perfectly. This was my last night in Tangalle, I wish I'd gone earlier!!

Reviewed February 20, 2014

What a wonderful meal we had in this little Restuarant! Fish so fresh it fell off the bone, prawns cooked to perfection, with a beautiful sauce cooked by Kanthi. Beautiful owners, so eager to please, and so they did. I highly recommend you visit. The setting is perfect also, a small bay with a few fishing boats to please the eye, and the possibility of spotting a turtle. On a slightly sad note, the owners have been asked to leave the Restuarant, they have been there since 1978. In the name of tourism, the beach is to be enlarged, and these people have been asked to move out. Why? There are bigger, longer wider beaches in Tangalle. As a tourist in Sri Lanka, I fear the change that is happening. Not everyone wants 5 star luxury hotels, especially in a unique place such as this. I come to Sri Lanka to meet local people and to experience their culture. I do not want to sit in a bland, modern, hotel where I could be anywhere in the world. I want to sit with Wasantha and Kanthi, eat their wonderful food, and listen to their unique stories of this beautiful island. Leave them alone progress, they do not want it, and neither do we!

2  Thank Carfran8