“Cheap, basic and right on the beach.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kingfisher Guest House and Restaurant

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tangalle
Kingfisher Guest House and Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 98 Tangalle B&B and Inns
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Cheap, basic and right on the beach.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a basic guesthouse that is cheap and convenient. We paid 1200Rs a night for a large fan room with en-suite. The bathroom was interestingly decorated but functional and although the shower was cold it was lovely and powerful and refreshing. We were staying in low season so it was room only, no restaurant services or wifi but there is plenty of choice to eat on the same street. It is directly next to the beach which was stunning and empty. The owner also organised a tuk tuk to take us to the turtle conservation project in Rekawa which was on time and efficient and an amazing experience to see a full size turtle nest on the beach. Overall a great friendly and small place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I have spent 3weeks in this superb place.As for me,an ingrained backpacker,it is the best choice in Tangalle.Clean rooms,good value and the icing on the cake,Priyanthi the manager.Fluent German and English,cooperative always trying to make one feel like home.She is an excellent cook,but does'nt mind bringing your own food eating at her table.

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

The rooms are a bit small and run down and the bathrooms have interesting decor but i enjoyed staying at this place. We arrived late, and despite him having no other guests and not having the kitchen open the owner made us all chocolate pancakes. He offered to cook us dinner the next night and had only two choices, but they were both delicious with special secret sauce we couldn't get enough of. The breakfast had actual fresh bread which was delightful as well as the usual eggs and fruit platter. He also shipped in beer and cigarettes for us all night after we depeleted his stock the next night which was greatly appreciated. Cheap and the rooms are what you'd expect for the money but the service was 5 star. Recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

The making of this place is the owner. He was incredibly friendly, helped us with directions and organised tuktuks, and offered a basic dinner of a whole fish with chips and salad, which was incredible!

We stayed for 1000rs each as a group of 6. The rooms are certainly tatty, and as the reviewer below mentioned there dead bugs in the mosquito net attached to the bed - we used our own.

Overall we were happy with our stay here, accepting the basic nature of the rooms.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Borocay
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night, as that's all we had planned to spend in Tangalle, however if we had intended on staying longer we would definitely have moved somewhere else after the first night.

The Bad:

The place is run down and the rooms are old and dirty. I don't mind basic - in fact sometimes this spells character and love, but this place didn't have either of those! There were lots of mosquitos - we killed about 15 trapped inside the ancient mozzie net in the room and still got bitten alot! The whole place felt like it used to be somewhere special, with a nice location but has maybe changed over the years.

The place felt sketchy at night - noone bothered us but I wouldn't want to stay there alone - I had just spent 4 nights in Midigama without my boyfriend and was sooo glad we had met back up for this part of the trip!! There were about 8 local guys (friends of the guys working maybe?!) sitting around and 1 trying to sell his silver to us - not what you need in your guest house!! We went to bed early but were awoken by a dog screaming. I got up in my jammies to see what the problem was and found 4 local guys from this guesthouse outside beating a dog with one chasing it down the street. When they saw me they shouted to the one who was still chasing it to stop, then made up some rubbish story about it fighting another dog - I have just spent days in a dog sanctuary with hundreds of dogs and I know that a fight involves barks not just a dog yelping in pain. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much after that!

Im not sure where the post below got a room for 800 rps....we stayed out of season (in April) and the cheapest room they would give us was 1300. AND when they gave us our bill (including food etc - which is quite expensive but we knew had 10% S.C) they had sneakily added 10% service charge on top to the room too!! He did offer to give it back when I pointed out that he should make tourists aware of this when booking, but it was not a mistake and was a clear effort to get a extra bit money!! (For 800 maybe my review would be different. For 1430 however, it is a different story - You usually get a lot more for this kind of money!)

Tours seemed expensive here - we looked at going to Yala and they quoted 13000 for van to Tissa and jeep to Yala. Considering a safari from Yala costs 4000 that was 9000 basically for the van to Tissa. 3 hotels down we found someone offering a van for 6000.

The Good:

The manager was actually very nice and pleasant. He also got me a mozzie coil when I said I was getting eaten alive and let us cancel our turtle watching after we had heard how un eco-friendly it was.

They have a few books and let us swap a book when we left.

Overall:

I wouldn't rate this place as somewhere I would ever stay again. The area is nice and it looks like there are a lot of nicer looking guesthouses along the beach. We stupidly went based on The Rough Guide's review, but I think it must be massively out dated and I am going to write to them about my disappointment of their review. Normally we just walk around and find somewhere, and on this occasion I wish we had just put a bit of effort in and walked along to check places out first!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Windy D

Travelers are raving about these Tangalle hotels

Brno, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Me and my husband stayed in next door guest house, but we stopped at Kingfisher for lunch and my prawn cream soup was really good! We also enjoyed late afternoon banana shake on beach chair the other day and this place is really great atmosphere, relaxing, easy lazy. It is simple, cheap backpackers place, but for me Kingfishers offers everything what I need.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leffkacka
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on the beggining of our trip and 2 nights when we need some rest after our tour of Sri Lanka ... the best place for relax, really nice service and the best food ever on Sri Lanka ... Devilled fish and prawns with garlic rice and salad ... I miss this place :)) H.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends