“Disappointing”

Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 131 Specialty Lodging in Tangalle
“Disappointing”
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

After reading the generally positive feedback my boyfriend and I arrived at lagoon paradise resort with the intention of staying for a few days. Unfortunately we were shown a room which had a mosquito infestation - literally hundreds in the bathroom including many dead on the floor. When we raised this concern they did not apologise in fact they seemed not to care and instead showed us to rooms which were double the price as an alternative. The resort was almost empty and felt very deserted - I understand it was low season so perhaps in high season the staff are more attentive and there would be a better vibe but if you are considering this an option on low season I would think of going elsewhere as it seems overpriced and unkept. We chose to move further down the beach to ganesh gardens which was much better value although no swimming pool.

• Stayed June 2013
LagoonParadis, General Manager at Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear Carly J Lewis

Greetings from Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort, Tangalle,

We thank you very much for time taken to write to us indeed your feedback is most welcomed and appreciated.

My sincere apology on the unfortunate incident taken place and necessary actions were taken to avoid such instances in the future to provide a better ,memorable stay with us at Lagoon Paradise Beach Resorts.

I am very concerned to read your feedback about the incident . This is certainly not our usual standard. We have reinforced training to ensure occurrences like this are not repeated.

In fact I have clearly referred to the the guest registration history and obviously I came across that yours was just a quick visit and you have not actually purchased a room and occupied any of the rooms with us . Yes, it was a quite a busy day at Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort and we did not have any other optional rooms to offer you . Hope , you clearly understood the occupancy situation .

This is most unfortunate I do hope that your chosen travel options were more positively suited.

Look forward to welcoming you at Lagoon Paradise Beach Resorts with your next stay in Sri Lanka and I am sure you will experience a far better stay with us .

You will be most welcomed and team is thrilled to offer you the most courteous , impeccable service to make your stay remembered .

Priyantha Kasthuriarachchi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
London
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I arrived there with a driver that I also hired based on the Tripadvisor board members review. He brought me there and after a short overview of the place I immediately liked it. After haggling a bit with the guys at the reception I got a good price. The guys were absolutely awesome, friendly and a lot of fun. Rukmal, at the reception desk helped me with all my queries and arranged tuk tuks and turtle watching, he also has a great sense of humor and we had a couple of good laughs! He was very nice to me and my GF. We were always late for breakfast, but we never got a negative look or comment.
At the Crocodile Restaurant that is a part of this Hotel, a waiter Lakmal was catering to all our needs and I've never met such a nice and serviceable person. In general, all the stuff working there were very, very friendly and nice. We've had the best lobster of our lives in the Crocodile restaurant. It's right on the beach and has amazing sunsets. It's literally 4 meters away from the ocean. You just sit there with a passion fruit mojito and enjoy the sunset and the waves.
I only planned to stay there for two days, but my GF and I so loved it there, so we decided to stay two more days. We weren't disappointed! The stay in this hotel was one of the best and relaxing experiences in my life. The stuff is soooo friendly, catering to all our needs that it was difficult to leave this place :)
Highly recommended!

Room Tip: We were in a Delux room by the pool. 10 meters away from the pool. Very nice big and clean room with...
2 Thank JohnSmithSA
Dear John Smith

We thank you for the beautiful pictures and review of your experience at Lagoon Paradise Beach Resorts , Tangalle. It has been our absolute pleasure in delivering you a great service and make your stay with us enjoyable and memorable.

We appreciate the time taken to write a review and I’m thrilled to hear that your Dining experience at Big Crocodile beach restaurant and your stay in the hotel were both positive and memorable.

Yes indeed we have conveyed the message to courteous Rukmal and Lakmal . yes they are all naturally great hosts.

I am sure you shall make your next journey soon down to our Resort and enjoy your favorite Lobster dishes again .

While we pride ourselves on providing a pleasant experiences at great value, our focus remains with offering quality . Rest assured we stand behind both the quality and value of all we offer.

We hope we have the pleasure of seeing you again at Lagoon Paradise Beach Resorts where you are always welcomed and fondly remembered.

Best regards,
Kent
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We booked here for just two nights (worried by some negative reviews) but ended up staying four nights. The location is superb. Fabulous swimming pool, beautiful lagoon, nice gardens, stunning beach. The new deluxe rooms are spacious, clean and very comfortable. Where it drops two stars in my view is that it lacks 'charm'. The main restaurant is soul-less, plays bad music through a bad audio system all day, and the staff seem demoralised and disinterested - not the motivated and friendly crew you find in most Sri Lankan hotels in this price bracket. The 'Crocadile' beach bar/restaurant is far better with stunning sea views, lovely breeze, and excellent free wifi. But the food in both restaurants, while great value, is boring and bland - produced by a cook not a chef. Don't worry about reports of it being a construction site - while reception is in a shed, and there's a new block being built, you don't notice it once you are through the entrance. When the new rooms are finished, however, I guess the place will feel more crowded. As the name impiles - beach resort, not boutique. Especially good if you have ypoung kids. Its success will be down to whether the (invisible) management can raise the standards and morale of the staff. Does that sound negative? I repeat - we booked for two days, and stayed four. It's a stunning spot. Be sure to eat at the candle-lit seafood shack on the beach five minutes walk away for simple but delicious grilled fish/prawns/calamari etc with the best subtly spicy potoatoes I have ever eaten.

Room Tip: Go for Deluxe room overllooking pool in new block if you need aircon and hot water. The cabanas look...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Twojackets
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort, Tangalle! Thank you for your comments, they are always appreciated and highly considered.

I’m sincerely sorry to hear that your dining experience was tarnished by such an unfortunate incident.

Your constructive comments raised have been taken on board and are currently being looked into internally. We are not always perfect but we do strive for excellence, so the points you have raised have been closely considered and revisited, with the appropriate actions taken, to ensure we continue our pursuit of those closely held goals.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort , Tangalle in the future and confident an updated and fresh critique and review of our services will prove more positive.

Yours sincerely,
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I booked this place for 5 nights but just after on night I thought, why dont stay longer. So I decided to stay 8 nights in total. This was a good choice.

The beachfront is amazing. You can walk and walk and it wont stop. Shiva shells everywhere. The beach is not so crowded what makes it a nice, relaxing and calm stay.

I liked the hotel very much. Extravagant big room and a even bigger bathroom. Open windows that gave you the feeling of beeing in the jungle while having a shower. Minibar, tv, nice big bed, a/c and fan. A big pool outside made this stay perfect because its very dangerous to swim in the sea. It has a nice beach restaurant where you can get fresh fish and some really good rice and curry.... somethimes a bit spicy ;)
For now there are some constructions on the hotel area but i didnt hear any noise and it didnt influence my stay.

The manager of this place was very obliging and friendly to his guests. He tried to make everything possible and helped with booking a taxi and other things. Big thanx therefor.

The Staff is also very nice to the guests. It was the best service I had all over Sri Lanka, and I stayed at many places during my trip. Sometimes their english is just in the beginning but you will find a way to let them know what you want.

So all in all this was the perfect place to be - and I will come back for sure!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ajatuksia
LagoonParadis, General Manager at Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest!

Greetings from Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort,

We thank you for choosing Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort during your visit to SL . It is very much appreciated you taking the time in writing a detailed review of your stay with us.

We were really happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to the resort and that you were particularly pleased the overall service provided to you.

Thank you for acknowledging so many positive elements of your stay, as it is from your feedback that we will be able to uphold our commitment to excellence. I am sure that a lot of travelers, will benefit from your review, highlighting your experiences from your arrival, to the room, to the views, service , as well as the dining experience which you have had.

Your complimentary remarks were definitely a delight to read. My colleagues take great pride in providing exceptional service and it is always rewarding to be able to share praises from our guests.

We all look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the not too distant future.

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We booked the beach cabana for a night to enjoy Marakolliya beach and we did. The beach is wide and flanked with coconut palm trees and backed by several lagoons. Beach was very clean and this not only in front of the hotel. Turtles swim right up to your feet. Wind blew consistently to keep us cool. The hotel has a nice beachside restaurant.

Hotel is indeed located out of town and not convenient if you do not have your own transport and want to travel around. You pay a little more for a tuk-tuk then elsewhere. But who blames the tuk-tuk drivers for being entrepreneurs; you know this upfront given the location of the hotel.

Hotel is under construction in the main part (far from beach cabana so no noise interference whatsoever) but this gave us also a deduction on room rate of 50%. Location close to lagoon is nice, you can take canoes a go for a little peddle on the lagoon. Swimming Pool is large and with build in jacuzzi.

Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We spent a total of 6 days at this beautiful hotel and cannot say a single bad thing about it. We were a group of 10 people and we stayed in the garden cabanas. They were specious, modern and comfortable. The AC was working non-stop and the LCD TV had an SD slot which we used to play some music and watch movies. The gardens in front of the cabanas are just beautiful - coconut palms, papaya trees and flowers. They keep quite a nice shade and it's very nice to sit on the verandas, while the Deluxe rooms are open and the sun shines right into the windows all morning. The hotel has 2 restaurants - 1 in the garden and 1 on the beach. We noticed they also have different menus. We liked the one in the garden better as we were usually the only guests and we had all the attention of the staff. The food was very delicious and cheap, especially the desserts. All waiters were extremely nice, ready to fulfil all our wishes. And always with a smile. The swimming pool was big and amazingly clean. Honestly, it's been a long time since I've seen a cleaner pool in Europe's renown hotels. The beach is also very beautiful. We had a great time playing with the waves. But, be careful - the current sweeps you right off your feet. All in all - I would recommend this hotel to everyone who wants to visit Tangalle. We used it to see Yala and Mirissa whale watching nearby. Wouldn't have it any other way. Ohh, and as per the constructions works going on, I wouldn't had noticed it if it hadn't been mentioned in previous posts here. I have no idea how it bothered the others. It's a mystery to me. Don't let these posts turn you off. You'll miss an experience of a lifetime.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank feeltherush85
Chard, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

One day in the future this hotel maybe truly great, but at the moment it's not a finished construction.
On arrival we drove in through the entrance gates and were horrified to see a construction site in front of us. The hotel has three faces - the aged, rather dark and dingy old buildings, the bright new wing, and the ongoing construction works.
There is no proper reception area, reception being housed in a separate unit. No public areas such as reception lounge (in fact no lounge at all) no hotel bar, no dining room. There is a new swimming pool, but the associated changing rooms and toilets are far from completed.
Toward the beach area is an open building which is called the "main dining room" at which only breakfast is served, lunch and dinner must be taken at the shack.on the beach.
The hotel is some way from Tangalle and off the main road down a long track so it is difficult to walk to anywhere away from the hotel, Beachside it is also rather isolated.
The food is not good and the staff seemed disinterested and disheartened, the general atmosphere was gloomy.
We booked six nights reservation by telephone and were warned that we would have to pay for the booking on arrival at US$90/night, which we did but after spending two disappointing nights at the hotel we decided to check out during the course of which we spoke to the people at the desk telling them that we felt we should have been warned that the hotel was still under construction when booking. To be fair to them they made no defence against our statement nor was there any hesitation in their offer to make a refund for the nights we would not be staying.
Think twice about booking this fairly high-priced hotel unless you're sure you will be happy in unfinished and isolated accommodation.

1 Thank Pax1406