Kadju House
$120
$153
$147
Priceline
All reviewsdream holidayenjoyable stayevery morningupstairs roomsri lankacurryprivate beachcashewscomfortturtlesgardencolombovillabeachescinnamontree
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We have recently arrived back in the UK after our amazing holiday in Sri Lanka.The first week of which was spent in Tangalle at the spectacular Kadju House.

We booked this villa on the Internet and it surpassed the expectation of all 8 of us who shared exclusive use of the villa for 6 days. The 4 individually styled bedrooms offered each us comfort and luxury in a perfect setting.
> Kadju House was all we hoped it would be and more experiencing this corner of paradise created in Tangalle. Kadju House is a special place that blends so perfectly with the surroundings, providing an oasis of calm and tranquility away from the stress of normal life.
> My wife and I, and all three of my sons and their wives enjoyed every moment
> and we were all sad to wave goodbye to the marvellous staff that were
> available to meet our every need.We have all fallen in love with Sri
> Lanka and the magical place called Kadju House.
> I would like to thank Verena for organising everything and the team of Keerthi, Deepika, Chamera and Kumara and the happiest security man in the world for the wonderful food and service they provided with such care and attention.
> We will never recapture the special atmosphere created and will never forget
> our dream holiday at Kadju House.

The nearby beach is easy to reach, virtually deserted apart from fishermen and the odd passing herd of water buffaloes, and offers safe bathing with dramatic waves and white sand.
> We all hope that some day we will return to spend another holiday in
> Tangalle and Kadju House.
> Bob and Deborah Walters

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I've stayed at many villas on my travels to the east. Bali, Samui and Phuket just to name a few. Kadju House has been the best by far! I loved the entire experience. From the welcoming staff to the amazing food and not forgetting waking up to the beautiful sound of the crashing waves! The in-house spa was beautifully designed as was the house and grounds. The food was excellent both eastern and western. What really surprised me was how beautiful and untouched the beaches were! Just a short stroll from the house and your on some of the most amazing beaches you've ever seen. If I had anything bad to say about this experience it would be 1. Bring some bug spray, even though I was the only one who suffered from bug bites it might be something to consider. 2. If your arriving at night wait till the morning. The drive is around 3-4 hours long and at night after a long flight it can be a bit tedious. I would suggest taking the sea plane which we did on our way back and it's only 10-15 mins away from the international airport and less than 5 mins away from Kadju House. Thx to all the Kadju House family for a wonderful and unforgettable time. I can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I had booked a 4 day stay at kadju house, but ended up staying a full week for how wonderful the first few days went. The house itself, apart from being architecturally distinguished from the more mundane "colonial" houses in the area, commands an unparalleled view of sini-modra or "sugar-mouth" beach. The food was excellent, and the staff outstanding. We had the opportunity to go out on mini-adventures in and around the environs of the property, but also stayed in and relaxed after long walks or runs on a deserted, and beautiful beach. The house would suit both the more adventuring types, but also those with more adventurous tastes. We had our son with us, ziyad, who as a young boy of 8 was fascinated and entertained constantly. I recommend the property to families who will need the extra "backup" required to entertain children. We will definitely be going back to Kadju again and again, as I can't seem to think of anywhere that combined beauty, just the right amount of comforts, and service !

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LondonWoohoo
Reviewed August 25, 2012

A fantastic two week family holiday in a beautiful place - Mum, Dad, kids of 17, 15 and 10.

The highlights - Anoja's cooking, Charmera's impeccable service, Keerthi's tours, the warmth and hospitality of the whole Kadju Team - genuine, absolutely delightful people, we grew very fond of them all and thank them for making our holiday so easy and relaxing. Service is outstanding but never intrusive.

The beach - stunning. There is some nonsense mentioned in another review about getting to the beach. Kadju explicitly says it is not on the beach, it shows pictures that clearly indicate that it is above sea level, so how anyone can criticise it for not being precisely on the beach is beyond me. To clarify, the "walk" : stroll 50 yards down the garden, very nice, through the gates, down the path, down the steps, a left, a right, you're there. If it is more than 200 metres from the house to the beach I would be surprised.

And when you get on the beach, it is beautiful. We were there end July, beginning of August so probably not the best time of year. the beach is essentially deserted. We swam, there is quite a strong current but we and our kids managed just fine. Respect the sea of course, but don't be afraid of it. Take the time to walk around to and along the next (massive) beach, a lovely walk. Pristine sand, I think we saw 3 tourists in two weeks.

Kadju itself is beautiful but minimalist. It is as the pictures show and overall a lovely place to relax. No shoes required, but it is not luxurious in the conventional soft furnishing sense. The rooms are perfectly comfortable but take note that the whole building is architect designed with a limited number of materials so is free of clutter. We wanted for nothing, however. Staying at Kadju, you are really outside most of the time, the only doors are to the bedrooms! In this respect, you are quite close to nature.

We very much enjoyed shopping with Anoja (a ten minute tuk tuk into Tangalle), safari at Yala, turtle watching at Rekawa, the Rock Temple, the beach, reading, swimming, eating at the house. If you like a G&T, Charmera's are absolutely fantastic, as are Anoja's vegetable pakoras and spicy cashews as pre-dinner snacks. As mentioned above, Anoja is a terrific cook, tailoring her dishes to our palates and moods. Food is perhaps not as inexpensive as you might imagine, the local cost of living is quite high. We took Anoja's advice on food and enjoyed it all.

The lower left room could do with air con, lower right has it. When we mentioned this, a portable air con immediately appeared for the bottom left, so the Team are well prepared, you will have a lovely time. My wife and I were in the upstairs room, this does not need air con as it has a fine sea breeze. We were woken early doors by calls to prayer from a nearby temple, but not a problem.

No TV (thank goodness), wifi with which we were able to follow the Olympics. Lamps and candles in the evening for atmosphere, peace and calm.

Overall - fabulous. Bold architecture, superb location and views, wonderful food, the best hospitality and service you will ever come across. Thank you Team Kadju.

Room Tip: We loved the upper room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank EdwardLowy
Reviewed March 14, 2012

This was my second trip to Kadju House (the first was in September of 2011) and I have already booked a trip for November of next year. Seenimoodra, the bay on which the house is situated, is one of the most beautiful on the south coast of Sri Lanka. The house itself is stunning-- inspired by the architecture of Sri Lanka's foremost architect, Geoffrey Bawa and the staff kind, generous and extremely helpful. Anoja is a fantastic cook and has a wonderful energy, which is contagious (I particularly loved the snake gourd curry and the egg hoppers at breakfast). Mr Chamra is also extremely helpful and worked tirelessly to make everything we wanted possible.
The beach is extremely close and virtually deserted-- I dream about my nighttime swims there with fire algae and the gentle sound of the rolling ocean. Kadju is also close to a number of small beautiful Buddhist temples, which I visited to on both occasions.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends