“A must visit Sri Lankan boutique hotel”
Review of Jetwing Vil Uyana

Jetwing Vil Uyana
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Sigiriya
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the paddy dwelling for 2 nights and it was lovely. Rooms are well appointed, spacious, clean and cozy. Food was excellent. The concepts that the dwellings are built on are typically rustic Sri Lankan. The ambience lives upto the hotels eco friendly claim and staff are cheerful and ever ready to help. If I were to nitpick, there are 2 things that can be improved. 1).Room service - can be more organised. We had most of our meals at the dwelling and most often than not something was missing; salt and pepper/cutlery/green tea etc. 2).The tvs in the room seem outdated and doesnt support usb. This restricts guests to be at the mercy of cable tv alone and listening to some music or watching your own content is not possible. Apart from this, our stay was brilliant and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed May 4, 2013

... I am writing this review while sitting in a "Forest Dwelling" in Vil Uyana - after having spent 5 nights (April/May) here.
My summary first: Unexpected luxury, so close to nature as I rarely saw it. At least the best location in the Sigiriya area, if not in the whole golden triangle.
The hotel has been built in close cooperation with the village, and villagers have been educated and work now here. They are proud of the hotel, and they know what it means to offer five star service ***** without loosing personality.
The integration of the hotel with nature is perfect luxury, too: A 'forest dwelling' has two floors, the lower floor with a ~6x3 meter private pool, a relaxation area with lots of cushions and - a completely open bathroom. This bathroom is undescribable! Imagine a roman style villa, with an roof which is open in the middle. On the walls, place a shower, a bathtub, comfortable washing facilities, a toilet ... (don't forget to notice the GROHE AXOR equipment) and you might have an idea. Without disturbing us, we share our bathroom with a small bat, two frogs and lots of geckos, all in a good distance.
The upper floor is the "safe place": No holes in the walls = no animals, and additionally Air Con, a big ventilator on the ceiling AND a mosquito net over the bed - stylish. Choose what to use. Oh, don't forget the BOSE sound system and the Panasonic flat tv, but we didnt use that. Wifi (free) for freaks like me.
The chef in the restaurant is on European level - everything tastes superb (and we have quite a good experience with good kitchen) - the staff is friendly, understandable and open to special wishes or a short talk. All remembered us on the second day.
ESPECIALLY to mention: The naturalist, Mr. Jaysekara, discovered a rare, slow moving, small primal animal, called LORIs some years ago. Instead of building several more rooms the managmeent decided to set up a protected area for these animals, and "lori searching tours" with the naturalist are available now. Congratulations and Thank you for that decision. Fits perfectly for the hotel.
We did some excursion to the Sigiriya rock (start early to complete the 1.2xx steps before lunch!) and to Anadhapura, with a car and a guide from the hotel. Do it. It's great.
DRAWBACKs, if any: Wifi is not as stable as I am used to in Germany, but this is hotel in the jungle - who would complain.
And a hammock in the pool area would be fine next time. Oh, yes, it's a SLH and not a backpacker hotel. So don't expect backpacker rates. Prices are okay, anyways.
We enjoyed it very much - thanks to everybody here.

Room Tip: Select a forest dwelling with a private pool ;-)
1  Thank J K
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I spent 2 days here as part of a wider tour of Sri Lanka for my honeymoon. (please see my profile for other Sri Lankan recommendations).

The hotel is quite unique, having been created as a nature reserve and wetland habitat.
As such, our bedroom was built on stilts over paddy fields. It featured its very own plunge pool.

The public areas of the hotel are fabulous with a great bar, library, restaurant as well as a infinity pool. On one evening we enjoyed a meal in their treehouse which was fantastic.

Sigiriya, the mysterious rock fortress, is quite an experience. We climbed it in the early evening when the sun was less ferocious.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Crookle
Reviewed April 29, 2013

If you want to experience living in a tropical natural environment, this is an excellent place to stay. Our luxurious paddy dwelling had its own plunge pool, balcony and spacious suite (the only downside being the slightly noisy air-con. The inifitity pool, spa, crocs in the pond and great service, all made it something we'll always remember fondly.

1  Thank AlisounTigger
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Service, Rooms, foods etc etc everything was nice n well maintained. we stayed only a day in water villa n enjoyed to the max n regretted not staying for more. as it was my honeymoon, i was surprised to see my bed decorated with flowers, personalised cake, fruit basket, n some local sweets. it was very nice. villa was very nice with privacy n no disturbance, feel fully with nature. we are definitely coming back to Vil Uyana specially to the forest theme when we visit SL next time. staff has to be recomended for thier friendly helpfull quality services.

1  Thank Sendooran S
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Although I was at Vil Uyan for a business meeting I enjoyed a lot spending time there. Service, Sleep Quality, Cleanliness, Rooms and Foods are excellent. I would say that all Jetwing Hotels are excellent and can be recommended for every traveler without a doubt. And don’t forget to see those beautiful NilUpul flowers there. Nilupul is the national flower of Sri Lanka.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here from 8th April to the 12th April, the hotel is amazing, you feel like you are living in the wilds. The food was excellent, the rooms were clean and the staff very helpful and friendly. We stayed in a paddy field room (more like a house) with our own pool number 132, we had nobody overlooking us apart from the birds that sat in the trees. This was a lovely hotel and I would recommend it to anyone. It was well situated to see Sigiriya, Dambulla and Polonnaruwa, we even managed to get down to Kandy and back in a day, although it was a bit of a trek. I only had one issue with this hotel, the main swimming pool looked a funny colour, as we had our own we never used it, but I think I might have been concerned if we had wanted to have a swim in it, I'm sure it was ok, but just didn't look right

1  Thank Sheila L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigiriya
Aliya Resort & Spa
#15 of 20 in Sigiriya
Sigiriya Village Hotel
Sigiriya Village Hotel
#8 of 20 in Sigiriya

Been to Jetwing Vil Uyana? Share your experiences!