If you have a driver/car, this is the perfect place to stay while exploring the Cultural Triangle. Dambulla, Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Minneriya are all close by; Anuradhapura also do-able but is more of a stretch.
We were intrigued by and wanted to support the eco philosophy behind Jetwing Vil Uyana. The hotel also provides training and work in a remote part of the island where there it can be difficult to find unemployment education (another reason why we chose to use a local guide on our visit to Sigiriya). We enjoyed the wildlife: resident crocodile in the lake, monitor lizards, peacocks, kites, lots of other birds, butterflies, frogs etc. It’s a shame that we did not have enough time to fit in the night-time Loris spotting with the resident naturalist.
There are four room types: Paddy; Marsh; Water and Forest – all designed to be with ‘rustic’ on the outside so that they blend in with the surroundings, but with lots of little luxuries on the inside.
We stayed in Forest Villa #140 which was relatively private compared with some of the others (#134 good for privacy but I would avoid #139). The upstairs bedroom/lounge was very spacious. The upstairs toilet with hand-basin (included a socket and mirror was a godsend) and looked as if it may have been recently installed, maybe in response to customer feedback. Really comfy king size bed with mosquito net (a plus for us although this did limited to the side-tables). None of our CDs would play on the BOSE system but the TV worked OK. The huge semi open air bathroom had a good range of toiletries etc and there were plenty of good sized towels. As other reviewers have commented some of the design details are a bit bizarre: just two small ‘wardrobes’ each about 20 cm deep, though an iron and ironing board took up most of the room in one of these (we didn’t bother unpacking); tea/coffee sachets upstairs but kettle and mini-bar located downstairs in the bathroom; only one dining table style chair in the upstairs lounge/TV area. The pool was oversize for a plunge pool but not really big enough to swim in. We weren’t tempted to use this; nor did we spend any time whatsoever in any other part of the ground floor area (terrace with sun-loungers, covered dining and day lounge areas) mainly because of a busy schedule combined with mixed weather. So with hindsight, we probably should have opted for a Watervilla, even with the disadvantage of no upstairs toilet. Of the Watervillas, we think #111 has the best views but it is on the intersection with the path to the entrance gate; #114 is the most private but #112 is a good compromise. The Paddy and Marsh rooms look fine and repsresent better value for money if you have a busy touring schedule which does not allow for much chill time in this resort. You need to ask for a room close to the public areas if you don't want to walk or wait for the hotel buggy.
There is only one restaurant (Apsara). Generous portions of delicious food. Fresh juices and platters of local fruit to start breakfast, followed by pastries and choice of hot/cold dishes. Good choice of European, Sri Lankan and other Asian cuisine from the a la carte dinner menu. The chef will happily adjust the strength of your curry to suit - you just need to ask. You can also choose from the set menu for dinner. Excellent prawn and lobster dishes. The restaurant manager and waiting staff were very attentive. (Not quite as efficient in the bar and library area).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Infused with eco friendly, sustainable modern design, Jetwing Vil Uyana is nestled deep in the heart of the island paradise of Sri Lanka incorporating five main ecological zones from forests to marshes. It is a retreat perfect for tranquility seekers or for those who wish to be close to the island's rich array of flora and fauna. The challenge of introducing a wetland system on reclaimed agricultural lands provides the unique backdrop for this exciting property. A strong 'back to nature' theme pervades your every moment at Jetwing Vil Uyana and the uniqueness of the experience is unforgettable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Jetwing Vil Uyana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jetwing Vil Uyana Sigiriya
- Jetwing Vil Uyana Hotel Sigiriya