We stayed here for the first 3 days of our honeymoon on our way to the Maldives. After such a hectic few months in the lead up to our wedding, we wanted to start our married life with a few days to totally spoil ourselves and relax. We were not disappointed!
It is a shame that it is a 3.5 hour drive from the airport after such a long flight however it is a great way to see Sri Lankan life as you pass by. Take a bottle of water for the journey. Warning, the local driving habits mean this trip is not for those of a nervous nature but for the more adventurous, it's the best ride in the park!
We booked a Forest Dwelling with a private swimming pool and it was bliss. The rooms are a little basic if you like the typical 5* American brands but had a rustic charm and did not spoil our stay. The double sunken bath with candles was magical. Breakfast on our own terrace on our last morning being watched from the bushes by a VERY large lizard was a personal highlight.
As the hotel is in a secluded location we booked full board however in hindsight I would not recommend this. The food was excellent but as every meal consists of several courses, we had to skip a meal on each day. Half board or B&B would have been plenty. Be aware after rain the insects flock to the lights in the open plan restaurant which is just a local hazard and the staff do all that they can to sit you away from them but that means sitting towards the middle of the restaurant which is rather warm.
This is such a peacful location with wild monkeys in the trees, peacocks walking the grounds and fireflies amongst the trees in the evenings. The staff could not do enough to help especially at reception and the restaurant manager.
A trip to the rock is worthwhile but we spent the rest of our time eating and lazing in this serene location. I think a week might have been too long but 5 days would have been perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Infused with eco friendly, sustainable modern design, Jetwing Vil Uyana is nestled deep in the heart of the island paradise of Sri Lanka incorporating five main ecological zones from forests to marshes. It is a retreat perfect for tranquility seekers or for those who wish to be close to the island's rich array of flora and fauna. The challenge of introducing a wetland system on reclaimed agricultural lands provides the unique backdrop for this exciting property. A strong 'back to nature' theme pervades your every moment at Jetwing Vil Uyana and the uniqueness of the experience is unforgettable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Prestigia, Cancelon, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Jetwing Vil Uyana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jetwing Vil Uyana Sigiriya
- Jetwing Vil Uyana Hotel Sigiriya