All reviewslovely familyguest housetuk tukthe ownersigiriya rocksri lankaexcellent hoststwo nightshome cookedrice and currymiltonguesthousepolonnaruwaaccommodationmilsomselephantssafari
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I contacted this Guesthouse by email 2 weeks before arrival and confirmed my booking for 2 nights. Once in Sri Lanka, and 6 hours before reaching the Guesthouse, I sent another email just to make sure they would be ready for our arrival. When we did arrive at 4:30pm that afternoon, the owner's wife and daughter told me that they had guests who had decided to stay an extra night, and therefore the room I had booked was not available.

As we were to find out later in our Sri Lankan trip, this is not an uncommon occurrence: Many guesthouses overbook if they get the chance, then hope they can fob you off with alternative (invariably much inferior) accommodation.

In this case, the wife offered us what looked like an unused store room with a bed in the middle. For toilet and washing facilities, she walked us 60 yards through a muddy garden (yes, by now it was dusk and had started to pour down, so our options were rapidly becoming limited) to a small stone outdoor loo and open-air garden shower (and I mean "open"). This, for a reduced price of 1,800 rupees.

Ok, so for me it's just "one of those things" that happen on holiday, and on this trip we're not budgeting for luxury, but my partner was not at all happy about the room, and the prospect of wandering around in the mud, in a pitch-black garden trying to find the loo in the middle of the night. Of course, it would also be impossible for her to wash under this open shower for the Sri Lankan family and neighbors to see.

In these circumstances, with now little option to find alternative lodgings, we accepted the room provided we got the room we had booked for our 2nd night. As I was feeling tired, grotty (having spent 8 hours on buses) and by now somewhat hacked-off, I had a bit of a go at the husband, Milton, when he got back.

So our first night was definitely not good, but things improved from then on.

As others have reported, the food is good, and the room we had booked (when we finally got it) was modern, spacious and clean. Milton's family are very welcoming, and Milton took us to Sigiriya rock and a nearby Giant White Buddha temple in his tuk-tuk. There is also a great uninterrupted view of the rock from his back garden.

We spent 2 days in Sigiriya, and it rained for most of the time, which limited our activities somewhat. If you're travelling at this time of year, be aware that it can be very wet in much of the hill country. When travelling budget, once damp it can be hard to get your clothes dry again. Milton's wife very kindly ironed my partner's trousers just before we left to remove the dampness.

The website for this guesthouse is http://www.sigiriyaparadiseinn.com/, but take into account my earlier comments if you want to make a booking in advance. If you are a beer-drinker, stick to juices as you'll pay 350 rupees a bottle here.

Just as a literary side-note, since the owner is called "Milton", I think they should rename this place "Paradise Regained"!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We travelled a family of 4 and stayed 3 nights (and ended up coming back for 2 more days). This is the most wonderfull guesthouse You can imagine. The family takes so good care of the guests. The atmosphere in the house is very happy.
The rooms are very clean, and cleaned every day. The beds are very good. The food is so fresh and crisp and tasty that it is hard to believe and the rice is home-grown. The breakfast was very tasty with hoppers and roti and not the usuall white toast bread.
It was by far the best food we had in our 5 weeks in Sri Lanka.
The garden is very nice and shady and with lots of beautiful birds. You have wonderfull views of the rock from the garden. The nearby lake is very very beautiful.
Milton is a wonderfull guide with an impressive knowledge and lots of intuition of what his guests might need and want. Somehow every couple in the guesthouse felt that the tour they had was absolutely perfect. This guesthouse deserves much more than the five stars You can rate. We could easily stay several weeks here

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anne Birgitte A
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

we stayed at this guest house for 3 nights and it definitely was the best place we have stayed so far in Sri Lanka. you have a beuatiful view of the lion rock from the guest house. it is a very authentic experience since you stay with a real Sri lankan family. the rooms are very clean, beautiful and western standard.
the homemade food was more than delicious and at very reasonable prices.
one day we went with the owner on a day trip to the ritigala ruins and since he is an official guide we had the greatest Indiana jones experience of our life- we ended up bathing in a fresh water waterfall:)
they provided me with free Ayurvedic tea when I had a bad cough!
they are very honest and nice people- I can recommend you to stay there with my whole heart.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was the first place we stayed in during our trip. The hosts are very friendly, welcoming and would really went out of their way to help the travellers.

The place is clean and spacious, with warm water and the food prepared by Milton's wife was very delicious!

They provided us with linen, towel and a mosquito net! :)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank cind3r3lla
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

In three weeks of traveling through Sri Lanka, we didn't find a place so nice and peacefull as Paradise Inn. Our room and bathroom were spacious and very clean. The family takes really good care of its guests and we would definitely recommend staying here if you'd like to get a better feeling of Sri Lankan life.

We planned to stay only one night, but after meeting Milton we realised that there is so much more to experience in Sigiriya-region than we thought. We stayed two nights, visited Sigiriya rock, Pidurangala Rock, Ritigala ruins, an elephant Ecopark (we saw at least 50 elephants on ojr safari), and had an Ayurvedic treatment. Typically we wouldn't do so many excursions but Milton's enthusiasm is inspiring. Combined with the peacefull two nights it felt like a Sri Lankan-plus experience.

• Stayed: January 2013