“The lesser known rock, but you will be rewarded for the climb!”
Review of Pidurangala Rock

Pidurangala Rock
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Sigiriya
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Obviously this is a lesser known outcrop to the famous Sigiriya, but this is to its advantage as upon reaching the summit you may well find that you are the only people there and can enjoy the spectacular views (which include looking across to Sigiriya allowing you to clearly see why it is called Lions Rock) uninterrupted. I would highly recommend this walk. It includes several sights along the route, starting off by ascending through a temple, then emerging to find a rather large reclining Buddha and the remains of some cave homes. After about a 45 minute hike you'll reach the top and I can guarantee you'll be glad you took the time to do it. I am bordering on saying I actually enjoyed this more than Sigiriya, simply because you are rewarded with the views and not a much more tranquil walk, away from the crowds of Sigiriya. One word of warning is, because this is less touristy it has not been set up with the accessibility you would find in Sigiriya - this is not a problem for the majority of the climb but towards the top it does get a little adventurous with having to climb over boulders and squeeze through a few gaps between the rocks (I personally enjoyed this as I like a bit of adventure and meant I could pretend to be Indiana Jones - minus the whip) but perhaps this isn't suitable for everyone. Also, try and so this early morning or evening when the temperature is cooling.

2  Thank ScottCabs

Reviewed June 13, 2014

The energy you get up there is just amazing and not many tourists up there.
Positive point also the price as only 300 LKR ;-)

Reviewed June 10, 2014

At age of 68+, climbing this rock was indeed a big challenge to me.
But, I made it.
No wonder, there is a saying " I travel, to understand the world, and to understand myself".
The sleeping Buddha was indeed magnificent!!

2  Thank Nonyoe
Reviewed May 30, 2014

What a view! I climbed this rock after paying the pricey entrance fee for the Lion Rock opposite. This is the rock to climb! We had a friendly guide who lived at the temple below and spoke good English. He guided us up to the top helping us around the tricky rocks, as we passed a group of monks who were coming back down. With no one else around we made it to the top. I'd easily say it was one of the best days in Sri Lanka. The peace and beauty experienced was breathtaking. And all it took was a donation to the Buddhists at the base. Well worth the effort. Should not be missed!!!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We got here on foot from Sigiriya (there are some signs, it's easy to ask anyone i.e. the information center). It's a nice walk, you will see some wildlife esp. birds. The price at the temple was 300 LKR/person. On the way you will see Buddha statues, meditation caves, frangi pani trees. You will climb steep staires and rocks through the thick jungle so flip flops might not be the best choice. Be careful it can get slippery. There are 2-3 ways to get to the top. You might think you're lost but don't give up:) I don't think it's worth to take a guide - it will kill the pleasure of figuring out the way yourself. The view from the top is amazing. You can spend a lot of time on this huge rock top, so bring food. The top is very quiet and private. Take binoculars and enjoy :)

1  Thank KrisKaren