See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 20, 2016 via mobile

On entail entrance the place looked great! Great setting and between two towns so many places to eat and shop! The given complex had two rooms, each with own balcony, ensuites and aircon. The place looked clean and tidy.
Night 1: Gave us wrong room so had to swap. Bathroom light so dim you could hardly see. Water smelt cross between sulphur and urine. Mirror had fallen off wall. Hundreds of ants in bed once the sheets were pulled back!!!
Night 2: Getting changed when worker banging on door, asked for the wooden clothes horse we were using, as another hotel needed it? Being travellers, we'd been washing clothes in the sink and using the horse to dry them on. He made us take them all off before bringing in a different stand which was rusty and covered in cobwebs! RUDE!!
Had constant power cuts all evening also shutting off aircon making the place crazy hot! I assume this had something to do with wires poking out of sockets and others sparking as you pushed in a plug?
When I went to mention any of the problems to the previous english speaking worker, he suddenly 'don't speak no English'?!
I had also read that this place had room service and wifi for £28 a night - this place seemed to have the extras at a higher cost than our usual spend! As travellers, we were going to treat ourselves on the last couple of nights before moving country! But the wifi was hit and miss and room service was as far as a glass of coke on arrival. When comparing to the other places we stayed at £7 a night; at least those were clean which is all we ask for!

Stayed: August 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2016 via mobile

The room was very dirty and austere. A bed, a rack and that was it. In a corner we found used condoms ... The bathroom was equally filthy. First thing we did was clean it. No joke.
Nobody seems to have attended the garden for years.

The cook however is very friendly and helpful and makes a decent breakfast.

Stayed: August 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2015

The pictures may disguise you but this place is on the luxury side for cheap travellers like me. Nice and clean bathroom with the caretaker willing to help even at 11.30 pm in the night. Chose this place because of its proximity to Sigiriya rock. Also do the walk from Immanaluwa bus stop to the guest house in the night. Its a bit spooky but absolutely worth it :)

• Stayed: September 2015, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2015

The best thing about this Guest House is the food which really is outstanding, without doubt the best we had during our three week trip around Sri Lanka. An imaginative menu which was skilfully cooked and well presented.

The accommodation was of a higher than usual standard for a Sri Lankan Guest House, especially with regard to the bathroom. The location is quiet and peaceful and handy for the excellent Sigiriya Rock. More accommodation is being built nearby but we did not find the work intrusive.

All the staff were very pleasant and helpful, we would recommend more than one night here

• Stayed: March 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2015

Where to even begin.....

This place is absolutely awful. Forget what you've read in Lonely Planet. I booked based on their review and didn't check Trip Advisor. Big Mistake.

There is no internet. The water is brown. The rooms are dirty. The toilet was broken. They're located in a swamp and don't provide mosquito nets. They're overpriced. The staff do not speak English. Need I go on? It should be said...I'm a hardy traveller and not interested in luxury. So when I say a place is a bit dismal, it is.

After realizing all of this when I arrived and after reading several reviews that spoke of theft and deceit, I decided not to stay at the Ancient Villa. I told the staff I was leaving and they put me on the phone with the manager. I had wanted to speak to him that morning, but he wasn't there and told me he'd be there in the afternoon. He wasn't. So we spoke on the phone and I told him I was leaving. He told me I had to pay the cost of the room. I told him no way. We argued back and forth.

I'll cut a long story short. He basically admitted to me that the place sucks, admitted that they don't keep it up and that the information online is a lie. And then he basically threatened to lock me in and call the police, which he started to do. He pulled in on his motorcycle, yelled in my face, threatened me and insulted me. Now, mind you, this all happened on election day during a highly contested election when troops were deployed in the country and a coup was possible. So I doubt the police were interested in bickering with him and arresting two Americans over 2000 rupees. However, I can't say I love being locked in anywhere and threatened with incarceration.

I told him I'd write a terrible review and that he should care about what people like me have to say about his place. I explained that I was leaving because of reviews I'd read. He laughed in my face and told me, "It doesn't matter. We'll change the name. I don't care."

So....ya. Not a nice guy overall. I didn't get arrested. I also didn't pay him. But I'm a bit of a hot head I guess. Don't stay here. That's the point of this story.

• Stayed: January 2015, traveled with friends