“Wadula restaurant - false price signage”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Wadula Restaurant

Wadula Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 41 Restaurants in Sigiriya
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Waitstaff
Description: owners e-mail: ananda66666@yahoo.co.uk / owners phone: 0094718138886
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Wadula restaurant - false price signage”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Just coming back from Sigiriya, a group of nine of us (6 whom were Sri Lankan) opted to go to this restaurant. It was Christmas Day and at the entry of the restaurant was a funny guy dressed in Santa waving us in. We thought it would be an ok stop off as it was signed as 350 RS each for a buffet.

There we're clean toilets which was a rare site in Sri Lanka.

However the buffet was extremely limited. No chicken. Hardly any fish. Some beans and mostly white rice. There were no desserts.

We sat down to eat and half way through our meals, the manager comes out and days there is a 10 percent service charge on top of the advertised price. There were several exchanges in Singhala stating that the sign was 350, but there was no way out.

The food was average, and basically just rice. For 500 RS each with simple drinks, it was a disappointment.

Definitely not advised unless you're desperate for a toilet and food

• Visited December 2013

Colombo
“"A Total Rip Off" is the only title suitable here”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We went to this place for lunch, at around 2.00pm after our trip to Sigiriya. Manager said it'll take about 30 minutes to prepare meals. We were not in a hurry, so we ordered food for 8 people and rested in their lobby area.

While waiting in the lobby, I checked the TripAdvisor reviews on my Andoird, and was shocked to see 2 people reviewing this place as a "Over Priced" place. We were too late, as it was 20 minutes past since we ordered food. I decided to test it for myself!

It took nearly 1 hour for them to serve the food. We ordered chicken mixed fried rice. Food was 'terribly average'. You can get better tasting fried rice from any average "Bath Kade" along the road. We went for a reputed restaurant, expecting for something better.

We ate, simply because we ordered. No one was happy about the meals. There was so much of food wasted.

Then came the time which I had to pay the bill. It was Rs.4,800/- for 6 portions of chicken fried rice (and the manager said, that was only the "local price"). When I read the reviews here about the restaurant being over priced, I was expecting I will get a bill of about 3,000/- which I was thinking as "acceptable". But this was more than that.

The rice they have used for the main dish was "Samba" (cheaper rice), not even 'Basmati" (expensive, but most commonly used genre of rice in most upmarket restaurants). In Colombo, average price of a Samba Fried rice is somewhere around Rs.250/- at most decent restaurants.

I knew there was no point in arguing with the manager. I never gave a look that I'm disappointed. I quietly paid the bill and came out. They would have thought, I will remain quiet as most of other disappointed customers. If they thought so, they are wrong! Here is my revenge. I left this type of warning reviews on all online forums, on Foursquare.

If you are local tourist, stay hungry but don't eat here! If you are a foreign tourist, pay a little bit more higher and eat from a star class hotel near Sigiriya, or go to Banana Rest near by (for authentic Sri Lankan food).

• Visited February 2013
newcastle U.K
“local cuisine”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

It is nice to try but sometimes ask questions. For most dishes I enjoyed but fish curry for breakfast is tooo much for me

Visited February 2012
1 Thank bykerhippie
perth
“wouldn't eat there”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Curry tasted like it came from a packet and was the most expensive meal during our 3 week Sri Lanka trip

Visited April 2012
Beijing, China
“Good Place with beautiful surrounding”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

This restaurant looks like a small farm. full of tree. The room is large . but the furniture a little bit old.

food is OK.