“Nice place, spartan. Some maintenance would help.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sigiriya
Wadula Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #65 of 100 Sigiriya B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We quite liked this place, partly because the (somewhat quirky) layout meant that we had a large veranda with tables and chairs for our friends to spread out on. The meals were decent. The staff are friendly enough. They are a funny mix - the owner is a very sharp guy, with a quirky personality but perfect english. The other staff either aren't empowered to make decisions, or don't have the training or intelligence to do it. The rooms are spartan, which was OK for us, but there were some basic maintenance tasks like broken light bulbs, broken shower heads and leaky pipes that really should be fixed. This is curious, as the buildings don't seem to be that old. As a general note, Sigiriya and surrounding areas is well worth a look, and I'm sure you could do worse than Wadula for accommodation.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Dambulla, Owner at Wadula Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thanks a lot for the review.All the points you have highlighted have been taken care of.

There are newer reviews for Wadula Hotel & Restaurant

Reviewed January 2, 2013

This hotel needs a few simple things done to make it acceptable. Sort out the unreliable power as we and all other guests we spoke to had problems with power and hot showers. The rooms need painting and new bed linen, towels and pillows. All food we ate was cold - very strange! If these things were fixed it would be a reasonable place to stay.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JamMil_12
Dambulla, Owner at Wadula Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review. We will take note of contents.We have corrected most of the contents

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I was very upset with the rooms, it was dirty. We have to stay in the rooms for 3days as v have no choice cause we paid the agency for the package. My kids was scared to walk to the rooms as it was dark. They serve the food very very late, as you have to wait for 30mins. The charge the water bottle very expensive. They didn't clean our 3 rooms for 3 days, if you ask they say they only clean when v are around. Stupid reason. This was the worst hotel we have stayed during our trip in sri lanka.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Selina23
Dambulla, Owner at Wadula Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Thank you very much for the review.We have been maintaining our hotel well and will do our level best to raise standards.Our policy is to enter the occupied rooms when guests are present.It would have been better for you to tell us about the delay before you depart.The darkness is consistent with the theme of our hotel,which is Wilderness as shown on our website.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

This is the worst place we've stayed at during our trip so far. The only good thing is that the staff are friendly. There are plenty of bad things. Our first room had no hot water, a cockroach in my pillow case, hair in the bed and stained walls. We went straight away to tell management we were leaving and they offered to show us another room. My boyfriend saw it and thought it was ok, so we moved to that room. On the surface it was cleaner than the first room, but once we turned the lights on we could see the walls were stained, the fan was hanging off some dodgy looking wiring and there were cockroaches in the bathroom. There was also an old, used bit of soap on the basin. We had a meal, the food was the worst and most expensive we've had during our month long trip around Sri Lanka. We were meant to stay two nights but left after one.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank DrClarence
Dambulla, Owner at Wadula Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

I am so sorry that we failed to live up to your expectations this time. Wadula Hotel & Restaurant takes seriously all constructive comments on how we perform and I feel it my duty to address the issues you raise:

Wadula Hotel & Restaurant is set in 22 acres of countryside which is full of wildlife, unfortunately due to heavy rain during your visit you were not able to enjoy any of this and I do feel that your review maybe slightly influenced out of frustration. That said, I do feel I should to address the specifics of your problem so I have broken them down:

No Hot Water - Wadula Hotel is constantly improving it's facilities in all rooms to meet the International travellers' expectations, clearly we didn't meet yours this time and I will look in to why the hot water wasn't working at the time of your stay.

Insects - As I have already said Wadula Hotel & Restaurant is in a rural setting so animals / insects exist in greater numbers than in the city. Immediately before your arrival and due to the heavy rain I instructed my staff to visit each and every room to remove all the bed linen to prevent it getting damp in the rooms. Clearly in this case your room had been missed for which I can only apologise. I have questioned the staff and it also appears that they may have left the door to your room open prior to your arrival that may explain the insects which would of course be trying to escape the heavy rain.

The room - Less than a week before I received a review for the same room giving 5 stars. As I said earlier we are working to meet the International travellers' expectations and to this end the walls will be painted as clearly the rain has stained them.

Food - We offer both an International menu and a Sri Lankan menu. All our food is cooked from scratch which does take a little longer but does taste better. I'm sorry if the choice off the menu wasn't to your liking but maybe something else might have been? I have checked the food prices of other establishments in the same area and our prices are competitive and I will continue to do so to ensure best value for all my guests.

You comment on how friendly the staff are at Wadula Hotel & Restaurant but I can't help feeling a little upset that you couldn't have raised your concerns with me or my staff at the time and let me put them right, I would have done my utmost to do so.

Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

We spent two nights here and we wished we could have stayed longer! Ananda the owner doesn't check his guests in...he welcomes them to his family! The rooms are big and clean. The beds (made locally by the staff) are big and very comfortable! The furniture is extremely original and all hand made! The whole resort is situated in a beautiful tropical garden! The food is phenomenal and Ananda along with his staff gives you the opportunity to enjoy the real flavours of SriLanka. Ananda is a very knowledgeable host and he can offer you all kind of tips and advice for places to go in and around Sigiriya. The rooms are provided with A/C and TV however we didn't use the TV. We spent instead two evenings talking to Ananda and his friends learning about the views and customs of beautiful Sri Lanka. We highly reccomend this accommodation to whoever is travelling within the cultural triangle due to the resort strategical location. It is definately a fantastic value for money! Thank you so much for a wonderful experience. Sabina and Damien

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Leopoldothesheep
Dambulla, Owner at Wadula Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

We all in our staff ver grateful for the true picture you gave us.We are encouraged to serve our guests so dedicatedly and lovingly.We thank you for the motivation.The appreciation is beyond words.We will welcome our honoured guests to our hotel and you will find much more facilities to stay longer with us.Pls come back.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent three really good days with Ananda and his team. The rooms are in an attractive setting, the welcome is friendly and we had great meals every night. Best of all was the owner himself (Ana), who arranged and accompanied us on visits to the historical sites, including the two ancient cities and an elephant safari. He's an extremely knowledgeable guide and we learned more from him about Sri Lanka (past and present) that we did from anyone else on our month long trip. We could not recommend this hotel more highly.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

We are very thankful for making the review with concern.We are committed to look after our guests and make them happy over here.It was very much enjoyable the conversation you had during your stay.We welcome you back to our hotel in future and you will notice more facilities for our guests

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We spent just one night here, but wished we had more time to enjoy the space, food and conversation. The owner and manager make you feel very welcome and have lots of good stories to tell. We left the choice of dinner to the owner and it was probably the best meal we had in Sri Lanka. The rooms are large and clean with huge verandahs to sit out on and enjoy the bird life on the property. I agree with previous reviews that the atmosphere is very home like, and our boys also enjoyed this.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sunjoy
Dambulla, Owner at Wadula Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Thank you very much for the review and we too enjoyed your conversation.Pls visit us whenever you come to Sigiriya.We will make your stay very much more enjoyable.We can advise you of the finest places to visit and spend in the midst of wildlife and historical sites which we are sure, your children will like.