“The Lion Rock Hotel does not rock at all!”

The Lion Rock Hotel
Ranked #22 of 95 Sigiriya B&B and Inns
Marburg, Germany
“The Lion Rock Hotel does not rock at all!”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

The room was not clean, weird smell, the furnitures shabby, no warm water for the shower. The room including breakfast for 6000 Rs was definitely too expensive! For the not working shower we got discount of 300Rs.The dinner was not very tasty and for breakfast we had dried fish curry which was disgusting. The location itself is not bad with the nice garden and close to the Sigiriya Rock but the service and the rooms were not worth the money.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Holon, Israel
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stay in this hotel for two nights,here is huge park and two buildings with four spacy rooms in each one of them. A/C not work properly ,since frequent changes of voltage,on the first night it was stabilized after 9.30PM,but on second night A/C was not useful at all. Room was and furniture very simple and not clean properly, but in morning we sought few monkeys on treas,and many birds. We have room on ground floor,but on upper floor is backbone and you may see the Lion Rock. It cost us 42USD/night.

Room Tip: On the upper floor to see the Lion Rock.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael L
Toulouse, France
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I don't recommand this hotel at all. The rooms were not clean.
When we arrived at this hôtel the owner whose name is Sempat has harcelled us to make a trip around Sri Lanka with him as driver. So we had finally the bad idea to accept. During the trip the owner which is the driver too, drunk a lot of alcool every evening.
The prices were very high for the country compared with the other drivers.
This man has had a very bad attitude during our stay in Sri Lanka with sri lankan people and with us. He doesn't respect everybody and finally was very agressive.
You have to avoid this hotel absolutely if you want to appreciate your holidays in Sri Lanka

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Uk
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We paid 4,r00 Rs (I think!) for B&B in a non AC, fan room. In summary I think we could have got better. The rooms smelt musty and could have been cleaner and we share the room overnight with a couple of geckos that liked hiding behind the picture on the wall...a good thing given the number of mosquitoes around!

There was hot water and the food at dinner was ok. Oh and the soft boiled eggs at breakfast were great.

I think if some care was given to this place - rooms cleaned better, a little nicer decor and put some nice garden tables around then it could be much better. As it was I think it was a litte too expensive.

Room Tip: Make friends with the geckos!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2011

It looked great at the first glance. Two nice guest houses were located in a large garden. But our room smelled of damp and the bathrooms were also pretty awkward. The food was though OK were the owner always played Bob Marley and so also the service

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Jabbadabba
dubai
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Rooms were not very good at all. Toilet system did not flush (and there was evidence of the previous lodger still there!). Room was clean but the bed was jumping with mites and sheets were dirty. Two electric lights were hanging off the wall and it started to rain when we arrived which did not help the situation. On queue, water started to come through the roof and down the wall!

The second room that we had booked for my children was damp and the toilets smelt awful.

The manager came along to try and sort out situation, but was not really any help. Bit of a nightmare.

We left the hotel and they kept our $50 dollar deposit. It was worth $50 dollars to leave and find another hotel. Eventually, we found the Cinnamon Lodges which was about 30 minutes away, and this was a hotel from heaven!

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank adamb-dubai
Paris, France
Reviewed July 28, 2011

It s started by arriving at the Sigiriya Archeological site where the bus dropped me. There a rickshaw offered me to get me to the Lions Rock for a 600 Rs. Obviously, the distance was no match with the 600 Rs. After a short argument, the fare was reduced to 100 Rs. I was then Welcomed by the personnel of the Lion Rock Hotel. I was asked if I was the visitor who booked via Internet for a few nights. I was then introduced to a room with poor furniture but AC, told that I was going to have TV. No swimming pool to be seen. I was disappointed. But it happens I thought. On a second day, I was arrassed by the manager to go on the Safary tour he manages. It was my day to Pollonawura and I declined not considering even spending a 10000 RS on that.
On the eve of my last night stay, the same manager came to me very commanding telling me that we have to talk. I am informed that I was not supposed to stay there and that he will have to ask me to pay for my entire stay the accomodation. I got lightening struck. How could I have been such a stupid bloke? First was denial then anger.... well you know the process. After a quick thought, I decided to check out by 8 PM. I was Asked to pay a somehow 9000 RS bill. Then Given a Rickshaw to drive me to the Lions Rock... for 600 Rs.
Arriving to the place I really booked, far far from the Sigiriya Rock. I was given after a long talk about being a guest or not and being laughed about, a room full of a ants and a giant cockroach in the bath room. I complained and got a inquisitive line of questioning and arguments about the kind of guest I was. I was given a new room. Right fully. Asked for a wake up call next morning that never came and left without breakfast saluted by the same room boy and receptionnist that got me so wrong the night before.

You ll tell me How stupid am I to book for the Kissapa Lions Rock and find it OK to be driven to the Lion Rock Hotel. Well that s true...That's what I thought till I met this couple which stayed at the Lion Rock too. The difference being them not admitting the con.

One last thing, if you ask the reception about the price of a tuk tuk to the rock you ll be answered 2500 Rs not 600 Rs.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo