“Simply but Expectations exceeded” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kassapa Lions Rock

Kassapa Lions Rock
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Sigiriya
London, United Kingdom
“Simply but Expectations exceeded”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed for two nights during our round trip by Sri Lanka in this hotel. Although it unfortunately very off the beaten track is located, it was very good. Since we already in the afternoon in the hotel arrived, we made a walk. We went out the hotel and to the right. There we had after a few hundred meters a great view of the Sigiriya rock. The staff were friendly and obliging and a quick dip in the pool was very refreshing. The room was simple and elegant, with a nice semi-outside bathroom.
Catering was the only problem we had with the hotel - we arrived in good time for dinner to find the dining area pretty deserted, and the food, which was buffet style, a little past its best. We also found that things were shut up pretty early. The next morning we had the same experience at breakfast - despite turning up over half an hour before its end, it was all pretty congealed, and there was no offer of anything fresh.
We noticed some big parties, so guessed that the hotel was perhaps more focused on that than on individuals/couples.
The surroundings and facilities are excellent, but the catering needs improvement, and we would only recommend it with that caveat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Tarragona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

Having just spent 3 nights at this hotel as part of a tour of Sri Lanka, I can only sing my praises for the all staff, including the back office members for making this stay one to fondly remember. The room, bungalow style, was kept clean and tidy throughout the stay with floral tributes laid out on the bed. I especially liked the bathroom with its alternative and different ceiling! Very spacious room, air conditioned with a large double bed. The restaurant staff were very attentive and on the 3rd night when I had difficulty with my hearing, (I suffer form tinnitus), the restraunt manager opened the upstairs dining area without hesitation for myself and my wife. The following morning we were offered breakfast on the terrace as soon as we entered the dining room. All very accommodating and without unnecessary fuss. Full marks to all staff, excellent presentation and well worth a return visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank laidbacktraveler177
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed here for two nights. The hotel is located in a very rural area. Quite, and calm. Early morning wake up call is courtesy the hundreds of birds there! Wonderful.. Evening time, you can see peacocks walking about without a care in the world.

PROS:

-Very well maintained

- very quiet, calm and peaceful. perfect to destress

- Good food

- very courteous and friendly staff... A traveller had mentioned that the staff was attired only in "lungis". I was told this was one of the national attires of Sri Lanka, called "vetis". Its great that the hotel stuck to this uniform as its perfect for the weather in the area.

CONS:

- If you're one of those people who likes the morning newspaper with their coffee, you'll be disappointed. No newspapers

- Dinner gets over at 9:30, and the bar shuts at 11. So don't expect any wild nights

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have recently returned from my 7th visit to Kassapa Lions Rock Hotel and am always impressed by the warmth of welcome I receive from all of the staff. Whether it be the grounds or maintenance staff, pool side, room stewards, restaurant, chef's, front of house or management I am always greeted with a smile and they are all consistently friendly and helpful throughout my stay.

The standards of maintenance, cleanliness and well kept grounds are always high. The food is always delicious, varied and superbly presented. My morning omelette is always freshly cooked to perfection!!!!

My visit on this occasion coincided with celebrations to mark the 5th anniversary of the opening of the hotel and I was delighted, and very humbled, when invited to be a guest at those celebrations. A very well organised volleyball competition was held over two days culminating in an evening award ceremony and entertainment. Presentations were also made to members of staff who had been with the hotel from the beginning.

I also had the opportunity to exchange views, as a customer, with the owner of the hotel. I know that customer feedback is very important to him and that he personally reads every review posted on Trip Advisor. He seeks to address any issues raised whilst maintaining the rustic charm that is the essence and so very important to the appeal Kassapa Lions Rock Hotel.

I noted that since my last visit two computer terminals have been placed in the lobby area to give customers better access to Internet facilities. This had been available in the past but only by using terminals in the staff offices - this is a most welcome addition to the facilities available to customers.

I was, once again, with the hard work and support of the Resident Manager, and many other staff members, able to provide some assistance to the local community. It is always bring me heart-felt joy to see such happy smiling faces and genuine gratitude for the small things that I am able to do.

I shall certainly look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SylviaGodfrey
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed in this fantastic property back in September for a few nights and we found it was a very good experience. This is very nice quiet country side hotel consist with chalet type rooms and one large hall like dining room for the comfort of the guest. Friendly smiling staff made us welcome almost every day and it was one of the best part of the overall experience of the stay. No wonder Sri Lanka is famous for the smiling faces throughout the world. The hotel is very close to the world famous Sigiriya Rock and guests can take a good look at the "rock" from the swimming pool area. I always think good food makes all the difference of an overall guest experience of a hotel. Food that served everyday at this hotel was excellent ! We enjoyed immensely their food. From traditional Sri Lankan to European type food served in buffet style with some special nights at the weekends. Big thanks to Chef 'Budddhika" and his team. Also the manager "Nishantha" and his team for their fantastic effort. To the management ; keep up the good work and keep improving all the time. Small criticism; we stayed at very far corner of the hotel and we had to be always extra careful of walking on those concrete pavings as they look very dangerous. Spacially in the night time. Someone might get hurt ? So fix it please. Other than that we have no complains about this hotel and if we get a chance we will be back for your hospitality guys. Good luck !

Room Tip: Even though I have rated poor for the fitness center and Spa there was no such facility in this hote...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank LarryB8
Trois-Rivieres, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We went to this hotel from June 9th 2012 to June 13th 2012
The crew of this hotel, manager to room boys, gave a perfect service. Room boys always smile…..
The restaurant buffet is a very nice introduction to the local meals
The hotel is in the countryside near a small village, a very quit place.

Leo et Denise,Quebec,Canada

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Labergedan
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is a good hotel if you want to spend a couple of days in a quiet atmosphere with some minor complaints. Only the bathroom has some tiny signs of neglet and needs some maintenance. The Challet rooms are well designed have modern facilities and are clean. The food is execellent. It has plenty of choices,european and local stuff,fresh fruits,pancakes,waffles,puddings,cakes etc. You can enjoy your beer on your own verandah.The staff is very friendly and attentive.I highly recommend this hotel.We realy enjoyed our stay there.
General information about top end hotels in Sri Lanka: Some of the top end hotels at the coastal belt are not in reality, NOT TOP END, however the prices of some of those top end hotels are really high.
I pointout that I refer this general information NOT TO KASSAPA LIONS ROCK HOTEL:

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family