“Great hotel and value for money...”
Review of Kassapa Lions Rock

Kassapa Lions Rock
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Sigiriya
Reviewed March 24, 2012

It was a great experience and very nice and friendly staff... Great reception on arrive... Rooms were nice and clean... the view from the room is unbelievable... You can see the Sigiriya rock a world heritage site... In the morning it’s very quiet and you can enjoy the natural beauty of the area...
The food was exclusive as you can have traditional Sri Lankan breakfast or European style breakfast... I relay enjoy the food in there specially the lunch on the day 2 which was nice Lumprais... also the diner were very nice... The chef was very nice guy (Buddhika) and his experience working in middle-east and Europe make it very nice meals...
All in all it was a very nice hotel and great service... We enjoy our staying in definitely on my next visit to Colombo go there and I recommend any one looking for quiet nice time and great value for the money to stay in this nice hotel...
Thushara.

Room Tip: The two double room on 1st floor is very nice an they are connecting rooms... nice view on the balco...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Thushara W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)

Reviewed March 21, 2012

Brought here on a tour, so really didn't have much expectation.

But LOVELY hotel. Great pool (lots of chlorine though - better more than less though I guess). Clean rooms, excellent service, large rooms. Can't really fault it!

Great option to other more expensive places in the area... If you can, ask about the cycle around the village area. Nice way to see the local area.

Food was great... I wouldn't say exceptional, but fine! Nothing to complain about.

Some snooty other guests around though, who treated the wait staff badly.. they definitely try their best to help out.

Overall - worthwhile staying!

ps. only issue we had was with the toilet flush in our room. The 'repair' job lasted a whole 1 hr :)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank nelidee
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Reading other people's reviews, one sometimes wonders if we are in a different universe to them! I'm really pleased lots of people liked being in this hotel, but for us is was ruined by service that was just plain shoddy - by far the worst we met in the whole of our visit to Sri Lanka.

The site itself is pleasant (and you actually see Sigiriya Rock while in the swimming pool which is amusing), but the management simply let so very many things slip (each of which on their own were not too bad but together added up to a pretty unimpressive performance) amongst which were:

- coathangers. There weren't any. When we requested some, we got some M&S plastic items which were completely useless.

- bath towels. Coarse, ancient, scruffy. Funny that the towels by the pool were very much better.

- hand towels. There weren't any. When we requested some, thery were minute (bit like face fannels) and were not replaced the next day

- minibar. This having been triumphantly produced, we discovered it was empty. Mind you, that wasn't very important, because the damn thing didn't work anyway.

- bedside lights. How can it have occurred to anyone to make these so dark coloured that they almost blocked all the light (in what was a dark room) and stopped you reading in bed at all? They were also so wonky we had to get them replaced (and then took the shades off so they were useable.

- the bathroom. Malodourous and reminiscent of a corporation swimming baths changing room (this is not meant as praise!)

- the bar. Isn't really. There is a separate seating area next to the dining room, but it was hardly comfortable (and getting ice in a drink was an ongoing battle).

- the dining room. Food was the usual buffet, no better or worse than many other hotels in SL, but they allowed smoking, not just in the bar area, but at tables in the dining room as well (apparently this is unlawful in SL, but when we complained to the head waiter he really didn't give a damn and said it was perfectly acceptable). There was a party in at the same time as us from a certain Iron Curtain country (think big) each of whom seemed to have the ambition to get through as many cigarettes in as short a time as possible, so the general atmosphere for a non-smoker was dreadful.

- the porterage. Our cabin was 120 metres from reception. It took almost 25 minutes to get our cases brought over (and no, there were no other persons leaving or arriving at the same time).

Our general impression was of a hotel got lazy and arrogant by being booked up by too many tour parties and just not bothering to care. All this could be fixed with some effort and a bit of attitude-changing, but until that takes place (if it does); avoid this place.

Oh and if you have a driver taking you round, then he will hate this place too; uncomfortable with lots of mosquitoes we were told!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank VMTraveller
Reviewed March 1, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights. The rooms are very comfortable with a very nice bathroom and a nice seating area outside the room to sit and listen to the birds. The pool area is also very attractive. We enjoyed the food as well. We went for a short walk outside of the hotel and saw some interesting birds. The only negative is the lack of wifi at the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank momfrompr
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I have recently returned from my 5th two week visit to Kassapa Lions Rock Hotel.

The hotel and staff provide everything that I require for a relaxing and enjoyable holiday. Whenever I visit I am always made to feel welcome and cannot fault the room I am allocated, the restaurant and quality of food, level of service, politeness and helpfulness of all the staff.

The hotel is fairly remote but that is part of its appeal and charm; whenever I have asked appropriate transport has always been found for me should I wish to venture beyond walking distance from the hotel. I would, however, urge visitor's to take the time to explore the local area on foot, or by bicycle, which is available at the hotel, where an equal level of friendliness can be found within the local community.

With the assistance of the hotel management team and staff I have been privileged to be given the opportunity to support to the local community by providing small amounts of funds for local schools, a home for the elderly and some poorer members of the community. The obvious pleasure on the faces of the people I meet and their gratitude for the support I am able to give is so very rewarding.

I have always been impressed by the visibility of the hotel management who are always on hand and readily assist if required to do so. Most evenings the General Manager can be found mingling with, and talking to, fellow guests in the restaurant and bar area. I often read the reviews posted by fellow travellers to Kassapa Lions Rock and whilst I do not know the details or circumstances, other than the reviews I have read, of the very few negative comments posted I can honestly say that I have never experienced anything other than courtesy and politeness, particularly from the General Manager. I would urge fellow travellers, or anyone considering a stay at Kassapa Lions Rock, to read beyond these few comments and to read those from the very many visitors who have enjoyed this hotel as much as I have.

I am most certainly looking forward to the next opportunity that I have to visit Kassapa Lions Rock again!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank SylviaGodfrey
Reviewed February 16, 2012

On arrival we presented our web voucher wich clearly stated half board only to be told that the hotel had a voucher from the web agents which showed we were only entitled to bed and breakfast. I querried this and again sread out our voucher and said that if there was a problem it was between the hotel and the agent and not me as the customer. They said they would try and sort this out. We were later told that we could indeed have dinner so we did.

On checking out the manager came over and shock my hand apologising for the confusion over the voucher. How nice I thought until he then went on to say that they had not been able to resolve the difference with the booking agent and therefore could I as "an honourable gentleman" pay for the meals. I was gobsmacked and told him in a gentleanly manner thatthe problem was between him and the agent and had nothing to do with me. He continued to grab my hand and again asked to pay. I then refused and got our driver to take us away as quickly as possible.

The whole hotel is appalingly run. When we were taken to our room which was in the process of being decorated we literally had to clamber over a ladder and materials to get in to the room which stank of fresh creosote. To confoun d this the room was right next to a really noisy generator/pump which could be heard really loadly above the a/c with all the windows shut. I asked reception if we could change rooms but I was fed the line that the hotel was completely full. On returning to the room the debris had been cleared from the porch but the bathroom door had been locked so we could not get in to change before going to use the rather lovely and inviting pool. After another two trips to reception and about an hour they finally agreed to give us another room which also had defects such as mildew and broken lights but hey ho.

This was quite the worst hotel experience we had in our lengthy stay in sri Lanka. The poor quality of the rooms is perhaps forgivable given that is geared up to large tour groups who perhaps happy with a pool, cheap beer and lots of (indifferent) food. However, the way we were treated over the bill is not.

Room Tip: A room in another hotel nearby!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Richard B
Reviewed February 5, 2012

The Hotel is really beautiful, the rooms are big, and the bed and the shower is good. However the service is not good. The reception team smiles and is polite, but with sarcasm. There is no wifi or internet, if you want to hook up you have to get a mobile disk on key to hook up with the cellular company there. Tis cost 350 rupee for 30 minutes and you can not take your lap top to the room.
Dinner buffet, is expensive. We did not try it, however we ordered a la carte, some dishes, and it was very good. Also the breakfast was good. Room service is very slow. Waited 50 minutes for towels.
The surrounding is amazing, and is you want to calm down, and rest, this is a good place to do it, however you depend totally on what the hotel provides, since it's far from any other tourist supplier, like restaurants, etc.

• Stayed: February 2012