“5th Visit to Kassapa Lions Rock Hotel!!!”
Review of Kassapa Lions Rock

Kassapa Lions Rock
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Sigiriya
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I have recently returned from my 5th two week visit to Kassapa Lions Rock Hotel.

The hotel and staff provide everything that I require for a relaxing and enjoyable holiday. Whenever I visit I am always made to feel welcome and cannot fault the room I am allocated, the restaurant and quality of food, level of service, politeness and helpfulness of all the staff.

The hotel is fairly remote but that is part of its appeal and charm; whenever I have asked appropriate transport has always been found for me should I wish to venture beyond walking distance from the hotel. I would, however, urge visitor's to take the time to explore the local area on foot, or by bicycle, which is available at the hotel, where an equal level of friendliness can be found within the local community.

With the assistance of the hotel management team and staff I have been privileged to be given the opportunity to support to the local community by providing small amounts of funds for local schools, a home for the elderly and some poorer members of the community. The obvious pleasure on the faces of the people I meet and their gratitude for the support I am able to give is so very rewarding.

I have always been impressed by the visibility of the hotel management who are always on hand and readily assist if required to do so. Most evenings the General Manager can be found mingling with, and talking to, fellow guests in the restaurant and bar area. I often read the reviews posted by fellow travellers to Kassapa Lions Rock and whilst I do not know the details or circumstances, other than the reviews I have read, of the very few negative comments posted I can honestly say that I have never experienced anything other than courtesy and politeness, particularly from the General Manager. I would urge fellow travellers, or anyone considering a stay at Kassapa Lions Rock, to read beyond these few comments and to read those from the very many visitors who have enjoyed this hotel as much as I have.

I am most certainly looking forward to the next opportunity that I have to visit Kassapa Lions Rock again!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank SylviaGodfrey

Reviewed February 16, 2012

On arrival we presented our web voucher wich clearly stated half board only to be told that the hotel had a voucher from the web agents which showed we were only entitled to bed and breakfast. I querried this and again sread out our voucher and said that if there was a problem it was between the hotel and the agent and not me as the customer. They said they would try and sort this out. We were later told that we could indeed have dinner so we did.

On checking out the manager came over and shock my hand apologising for the confusion over the voucher. How nice I thought until he then went on to say that they had not been able to resolve the difference with the booking agent and therefore could I as "an honourable gentleman" pay for the meals. I was gobsmacked and told him in a gentleanly manner thatthe problem was between him and the agent and had nothing to do with me. He continued to grab my hand and again asked to pay. I then refused and got our driver to take us away as quickly as possible.

The whole hotel is appalingly run. When we were taken to our room which was in the process of being decorated we literally had to clamber over a ladder and materials to get in to the room which stank of fresh creosote. To confoun d this the room was right next to a really noisy generator/pump which could be heard really loadly above the a/c with all the windows shut. I asked reception if we could change rooms but I was fed the line that the hotel was completely full. On returning to the room the debris had been cleared from the porch but the bathroom door had been locked so we could not get in to change before going to use the rather lovely and inviting pool. After another two trips to reception and about an hour they finally agreed to give us another room which also had defects such as mildew and broken lights but hey ho.

This was quite the worst hotel experience we had in our lengthy stay in sri Lanka. The poor quality of the rooms is perhaps forgivable given that is geared up to large tour groups who perhaps happy with a pool, cheap beer and lots of (indifferent) food. However, the way we were treated over the bill is not.

Room Tip: A room in another hotel nearby!
4  Thank Richard B
Reviewed February 5, 2012

The Hotel is really beautiful, the rooms are big, and the bed and the shower is good. However the service is not good. The reception team smiles and is polite, but with sarcasm. There is no wifi or internet, if you want to hook up you have to get a mobile disk on key to hook up with the cellular company there. Tis cost 350 rupee for 30 minutes and you can not take your lap top to the room.
Dinner buffet, is expensive. We did not try it, however we ordered a la carte, some dishes, and it was very good. Also the breakfast was good. Room service is very slow. Waited 50 minutes for towels.
The surrounding is amazing, and is you want to calm down, and rest, this is a good place to do it, however you depend totally on what the hotel provides, since it's far from any other tourist supplier, like restaurants, etc.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed February 2, 2012

To be honest we choose this place as a cheaper alternative to some of the more 'iconic' hotels in the cultural triangle....which we have stayed in before. After all, in this area you are often out most of the day looking at the amazing sites and natue!! So why pay top dollar for a sleep, breakfast & dinner!? There is nothing the more expensive hotels have that are not matched by this hotel; except of course the added facilties that they charge for - like spas, hairdressers, etc. First, our fine large bedroom was a 2nd floor flat with wonderful big terrace from which we could see Lions Rock....so beautiful at sun rise and set. Second, the food was of a very high standard - so much so that I said so and the chef came to visit us!! The Sri Lankan curries were of an exceptionally high standard & variety. The reviewer that claimed there was little vegetarian choice must not eat Sri Lankan food - which is sad as they are in Sri Lanka!!! Breakfast was very fine too. Third, the pool area was all that was needed and the place is in such a secluded spot that you see the most amazing wildlife and nature just in the normal course of events. We loved this hotel!

Room Tip: On the top of the 2 storey flats with a view of Lions Rock. This type of room was a simple standard...
2  Thank Phil L
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We found it very hard to find this hotel, but it was very good when we got here. Our hut was lovely and the bathroom very spacious. The shower was open, so a lot of things did fall into the bathroom during the night, making it a bit damp and smelly. The bathtub was quite dirty, but we weren't going to use it anyway. The dinner was very tasty as was the breakfast buffet. The pool looked inviting, but we didn't get a chance to use it. Would recommend to people going to Lion's Rock, as it is only a 25 minute drive away.

3  Thank ashy84
Reviewed January 13, 2012

The hotel is located around 10 kms away from the famous Lion's Rock. Situated in the middle of nowhere, this resort is simple and beautiful. The rooms are neat, tidy, well done and spacious. They are actually independent cottages spread across the property. The bathrooms in the cottages are open to sky (covered with a net). This can get messy during the rains! Service is good (although room service was a bit slow) and the staff are friendly, however not all of them can speak English. Although there are very few food options for vegetarians, those that are available are very tasty and well made. Be sure to make your reservations in advance as the place is almost always running full at this time of the year.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wanderlust_XLers
Reviewed January 11, 2012

The place is great, if you are looking for a place to recover from the cultural highlights, which surrounds them.
The bungalows are nicely furnished, the pool well sized. The food was great as well, breakfast as well as dinner in buffet-style and of good quality. We would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple