“Great spot”

Thisara Guest House
Ranked #5 of 70 Polonnaruwa B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

The owners here were lovely from the start ! Watch out for the tuk tuk driver in the brown tuk tuk though, he seemed on the dodgy side!
The room was in an awesome quiet spot , and the owners lit a mosquito coil for us while we sat outside and enjoyed the rice paddy view and the birds and bats flying about!
The food was delicious and the service was very friendly, the owners lent us a plug adapter when we didn't have one.
Overall a very pleasant stay, would recommend !

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Kellysulli

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I arrived at night, and when I stepped out of my room the next morning to see the small garden with banana trees and rice paddies beyond, I loved it. It's away from the road and out of the center of town, so it's quiet and peaceful.

The owners are very sweet, and service was good. A short walk from the junction, so not inconvenient, and they rent bicycles for exploring.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MendoNile
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed here for 2 days. The stay was really nice and so are the staff, in the end I felt almost sorry to leave.Wished we could stay another day.
Upon arriving I found myself in a valley of smiles from the very first person. Owner (Thisara) explained everything I had available and gave me a superbly comfortable room with an internet access and the password to use the service very quickly.
Entering the room, it was clean and quiet (couldn't hear a noise). The bathroom is also spacious and very clean.Very rich and tasty meals, I love chicken salads with rice.
These are the things that made me enjoy my stay at this hotel, but my warmest congratulations to the hotel for their choice of personnel. They know how to really make you feel at home, and if you need anything it is like asking a family member. Congratulations from the heart, you were fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Pros: very Nice garden with view on paddy fields.
Good location to visit sites/ temples. Very easy and quick to go to temples.
Friendly owner, very helpful.
Cons: rooms basic, not dirty but old..., food basic. No trill...

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank 0Granit
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The best things about this place are the hosts, Mahesh and his lovely wife, who were warm and friendly and always available to answer any questions we had. Mahesh even picked us up when we arrived, dropped us in town to visit the ruins and drove us to the bus station and ensured we got on the correct bus when we left! Mahesh's wife is an excellent cook and it is well worth staying in to eat.

While the rooms are excellent value, they are fairly basic - don't expect a five star hotel. A few small things would improve them a lot, such as towels and clean bathmats. The biggest problem, however, was the mosquitoes. Being in a very wet area, there seemed to be millions of them. While it is obviously difficult to eliminate them completely, some coils or citronella candles would have helped.

Despite these small issues, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The location is quiet, there is a lovely garden and Mahesh and his wife are excellent hosts. They are the prefect example of Sri Lankan hospitality. Would highly recommend a stay in the Thisara Guesthouse, Polonnaruwa.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian L
Reviewed March 1, 2013

even though there are many places for night stay, I would prfer this place due to the true hospitality, calm n quait surrounding & sequrity.

The young couple who own the place will do everything they can to complete your comfert.

No much of local tourists hence no disturbence at night and very sequred place since the main gates are closed at night & no unauthorised entires.

When I visit, I had the privilage of selecting a room and I choose one facing to the paddy fields, tiled and clean. Rooms are far above comfertable for the price paid and all minor loop points could be tolarated due to the ture kind concern of the owners about our comfert.

I would recomend the place to anyone who are looking for a calm n quite stay with sequirty. Free wifi connection as an additional facilty is also a remarkeble thing to not loose your toch on the daily routin on the go.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Niroshan F
Reviewed February 27, 2013

after i leave my home reach to thisara guest and i got very warmly well come from the staff of thisara guest. staff members and the owner is very kind and always ready to help. guest rooms maintain on good manner and room service is supereb.very silent area and you can have a graet rest here. food is very tasty and specialy sri lankan menu is very tasty. staff is al ways help guest to find correct way to visit sites at polonnaruwa. i can recommend to all of you your security 100% at the thisara guest. view of the guest is very good. have a visit and enjoy your journy. good luck

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business