Senani Hotel
  • Pool
$210
$149
Travelocity
All reviewsdoors and windowsgroup tourlobby areabuffet breakfast and dinnersmall balconynice hoteloverlooking kandyenjoyed my staystayed here for two nightsnice roomnice swimming poolgreat viewkandy citytooth templemonkeyswifihill
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed two nights on an Intrepid travel group tour. I never knew whether we got the worst rooms due to being "intrepid" travellers or if it was just luck of the draw. My room faced backwards into a parking lot on a hillside; being that the hotel is on a steep hill, this meant I faced into nothing but a garage, and the room was very musty! I asked to change rooms immediately, and was given a room with a balcony, which initially seemed great, as the hotel is on a hillside looking down over Kandy, away from the air pollution and with a lovely view full of foliage/plants...it's almost primeval. But I then realized I was one level above the ground and there was no grass there, just dirt, old stuff and a bit of garbage. I was a 3 or 4 story walk down and up from the restaurant, too (although the poor porter handled my heavy suitcase for me, then stole the tip I'd left for the chamber man/maid). The view downwards was so ugly I did not use the balcony, but did appreciate the light into the room and absence of any mustiness. There was a crack under the door though that enabled mosquitoes to get in (oddly, though, the fewest in-room mosquitoes on my two week trip in the country). There was a TV but all I could get in English was cricket and Al Jazeera; that said, the latter was very interesting...first time I've watched it and interesting perspective on world events!
Breakfast buffet was very nice: good choice. Try to grab a seat on the balcony if you can but watch out for the crows that want breakfast too.
One of the male staff wanted me to bring him back to Canada, as an immigrant, and did the "googly eyes" flirting thing with me. I really did NOT appreciate that, as I had just had a taxi try to rip me off (he lied deliberately, and at the end of our argument it seemed like he was just having fun with me), and a man pretending to be a buddhist professor had tried to get me to give a donation when I walked around the lake in town. All other male staff at the hotel were polite to me though.
My a/c blew right only my bed, so I had to run it intermittently during the night. I set it for 21 C but it was simply freezing (this always seemed to be the case in Sri Lanka and India: despite the temp displayed on the a/c unit, it was freezing!). The room fan was rackety and I could not sleep with it on. When I left the room, the staff would come in and turn the a/c off, every time. So, I learned to hide the remote. I don't want to waste electricity but Sri Lanka is, for a Canadian, hot and humid!!!
Facing front, several floors under the restaurant, meant that I had to listen to the dumbwaiter and pot washer. The latter seemed to make as much noise as he could (sounded like he was either hurrying or frustrated or both!). The dumbwaiter was very busy until after 11 pm; reception told me I'd just have to put up with it. It started at just past 5 a.m. too, to bring stuff up for breakfast in the dining room. I did not sleep well due to the dumbwaiter.
Pool very small. Too small for me to bother (I swim lengths).
I expect there are nicer rooms away from the dumbwaiter, and higher off the ground. If I'd had one, I'd have been much happier.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TorontoCarol
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Our second visit to this hotel and I found it a little shabby this time. Reception staff were helpful but could not communicate well with foreigners. Wifi was difficult, the man in reception had a bad virus, he kept coughing, sneezing etc., quite unconcerned about spreading the virus!

The corridors and doors to the rooms were dirty & scuffed, furniture in reception had not been cleaned either, for a reasonably modern hotel it needs some extra care with cleaning.

The food was awful, an over priced dried up offering of a buffett. Just into the New Year they did not have a licence to sell alcohol! so forget any celebrations.

Bedroom was of a good standard but a previous guest had left a cigarette stub in the sink subsequently it was blocked.
Will think twice about staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first before parting with money.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hilsmedic
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights and considering all the different guesthouses and hotels we stayed at on our Sri Lanka trip this was the worst and most pricy hotel (110 USD a night). The restaurant buffet is not good, and the hotel lacks atmosphere in general. The walls are very thin (we stayed two floors below the restaurant and we could hear the chairs from the restaurant really clearly). At night there was also some kind of noise from a machine or aircon (not our own, as it was turned off). Also, the door did not lock properly. There is only wifi in the lobby. The location is OK, a short tuk-tuk ride from the center. But all in all I would not recommend this hotel. Especially since Kandy has a lot of other cheaper and I think better options. I would go for some of the smaller guesthouses. On the plus side the room was clean and the people working there were nice and serviceminded.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed there for one night to visit Kandy.
Was a nice room, very clean and good and new bathroom.
Very small hotel, not recommended for more than overnight stay.
Breakfast was good.
Hotel has a very nice view on the city of Kandy.
Proces are ok (we payed about 80 Euro /Night).

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SRReiseBerater
Reviewed December 14, 2012

The rooms vary a fair bit in quality. We saw one which overlooked the pool that was rather cramped; but ended up taking a more spacious room on the top floor with a balcony and views of the valley in the back - a significant improvement. The downside is that the hotel caters to a number of large groups, hence is less intimate; however the waiters got to know us and always found us a lovely quiet spot on the balcony looking out to the views below. I didn't really care for the musicians at dinner, but my friend enjoyed it. I am not a fan of buffet meals but that seems to be the norm in most of the hotels we stayed at; my preference is to go for local meals whenever travel, and they did have a small Sri Lankan section amongst the international fare - which was tasty enough (although not excellent).

Room Tip: Get the room on the top floor looking out to the back - it has a nice balcony with a green valley view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends