The hotel is very good with an excellent dinner and breakfast buffet (ask for a discount if you're full vegetarian). The rooms are spacious and quiet, and rather well isolated. Some rooms near the reception can be noisy as there is a rather mediocre life music until 23.00 at the bar/lobby area, but in the rooms further down you don't hear anything. The grounds are green, with a view on the river and pleasant. The only issue is the distance from the centre of Kandy, so you need a car. At dark, the road to the hotel is not well indicated. The road coming directly from town goes up and down the hill and is unlit - difficult if your driver doesn't know the area so ask well for directions before leaving Kandy center. The other road arriving to the hotel goes along the river, but I was told by a local friend not to take it alone at night as there are no houses on the way, so think about it.
There is driver accomodation available, but the driver has to pay for his food (apparently; I did not check with the reception, that's what my driver told me).
The reception and restaurant staff was good and professional.
The pool looks very nice, but I did not see anybody swimming. It would be a bit awkward, I suppose, as it is just at the front of the lobby/bar area. :-)
The hotel caters to tour groups, which dominate the scene, but if you don't mind it, and you want a quiet night in a pleasant room, it is a good choice.
The internet is included and worked well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sweeping green hills, the longest river in the country, misty mornings and the fresh outdoors, are just a few things that naturally come together here to make the perfect holiday. Just 2 1/2 hours from the Sri Lanka's Capital City Colombo, Chaaya Citadel Kandy has reinvented itself taking into account the needs of holidaymakers around the world. Replete with a sense of history, serenity and majesty, the hotel offers guests the opportunity to experience the amazing Kandyan history, the culture and the arts that play a big role in the lives of the Sri Lankans. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Orbitz, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Cinnamon Citadel Kandy reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chaaya Citadel Kandy Hotel Kandy
- Chaaya Citadel Hotel Kandy
- Kandy Chaaya Citadel Hotel