We stayed at this hotel for two nights as part of a tour of Sri Lanka organised by Kuoni. The hotel is in a beautiful setting with most rooms overlooking the gardens and the river. Reception was efficient booking us in and dealing with bags - look out for the amazing costume worn by the doorman, well worth a photograph.
We were in room 254 in the middle tier and had a great view from our balcony. The balcony was big enough for three people to comfortably sit out with each terrace of rooms cleverly designed to be not overlooked by the higher rooms. The room decor is simple and some might find the dark tiles in the bathrooms dated. The room was clean and room service was good with beds turned down, fresh sheets and towels each day and the tea coffee and water replenished.
Whilst our stay here was comfortable there were signs that the hotel could do with some refurbishment. Our air conditioning was poor, it just didn't pump out much cool air, we also had two cockroaches in the shower tray - one I disposed of in the garden and the other disappeared from where it came.
Some rooms do get a bit of noise from the open bar area but we did not find this intrusive and things generally finished by 11pm.
The bar area is comfortably furnished and there is a range of local and branded drinks available. We were all inclusive so dont know if the prices were reasonable or not. The service can be slow but we found this to be the same at the other hotels we stayed in on our tour.
There was a good variety of dishes available in the self service restaurant, generally a mix of Sri Lankan and European dishes with occasional international alternatives thrown in. However, you have to like curry if you visit Sri Lanka!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sweeping green hills, the longest river in the country, misty mornings and the fresh outdoors, are just a few things that naturally come together here to make the perfect holiday. Just 2 1/2 hours from the Sri Lanka's Capital City Colombo, Chaaya Citadel Kandy has reinvented itself taking into account the needs of holidaymakers around the world. Replete with a sense of history, serenity and majesty, the hotel offers guests the opportunity to experience the amazing Kandyan history, the culture and the arts that play a big role in the lives of the Sri Lankans. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz and Agoda so you can book your Cinnamon Citadel Kandy reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chaaya Citadel Kandy Hotel Kandy
- Chaaya Citadel Hotel Kandy
- Kandy Chaaya Citadel Hotel