“Brilliant hotel, great staff, amazing food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cinnamon Citadel Kandy

Cinnamon Citadel Kandy
Ranked #6 of 58 Hotels in Kandy
“Brilliant hotel, great staff, amazing food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

Stayed 2 nights in June as part of a 10 night tour of Sri Lanka through Kuoni.

The whole experience was amazing and the staff at the Chaaya Citadel were really welcoming and helpful.

This hotel set the benchmark for the whole holiday and the others were good too but this was the most welcoming.

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank De77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
sunderland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

This was the first hotel on our tour in Sir Lanka. We found the hotel very welcoming and very relaxing, our room was spacious and had a beautiful view over the river. Swimming pool and surrounding gardens were clean and well kept , and the buffet in restraunt could not be faulted i am quiet a fussy eater but there was something for everones taste, staff throughout the hotel were very attentive and friendly. great place at the end of a busy sightseeing day.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shoptiludrop_10
Jeddah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

Having read the reviews and subsequently stayed there with my family for 3 nights in July I would say that if you set your expectations right you will not be disappointed.

The hotel is really a 3 start hotel trying to pass off as a 4 start hotel. It is not part of an international chain so you cannot expect the same standards & trappings. It’s a locally owned and run business. The staff are courteous, friendly and eager to help, but are more used to providing the standard delivery. Anything out of the ordinary routine & they are bit at sea.

We stayed in the ‘Superior’ rooms hence no tissue boxes, Bathrobes & Bathroom Slippers, a Shaving Kit, Toothpaste & Toothbrush. The rooms are designed in a minimalistic style to provide a rustic feel using locally produced furniture which seems a bit dated. The shampoo & shower jell in cork bottles may seem quaint but if you’ve pushed the cork in too far in previously it’s no fun trying to open in mid shower.

We were given 2 adjoining rooms which do not have connecting doors. As our kids are grown-up that didn’t matter. If your kids are small you may need some other facility.

We landed in the early ours and were taken by our guide and driver straight to the Chaaya. As dawn broke, Sri Lanka awakened before us along the ribbon development. We arrived at the hotel around 9.30 a.m. and were told that no rooms would be available until guests left and anyway check in time was 2 pm. However, after complaining that our younger son was travel sick & would continue doing so in the foyer, they rushed around cleaning one room as some guests left & then the other.

Whilst we waited for the rooms we sat around the main lounge area and enjoyed the views of the swimming pool and the stunning views of the river. This is what makes this hotel; the views and manicured lawns and the various seating areas. Our rooms were on the 3rd level so our balcony area just opened out on to the gardens overlooking the river. Waking up to the sounds of the various birds and animals was wonderful. In fact on the 3rd day we cancelled some of the visits planned by our guide because we wanted to stay & enjoy the hotel grounds and the pool.

Luckily our Tour operator had arranged half board which saves a lot of time. Once you have been out on trips all day to see the various sights we just wanted to relax back at the hotel. We went up to the dining area to be shown to a table labeled & reserved for our family, which was a nice touch. However, when on the 2nd day we found that someone else had taken our place and we complained we were simply shown to an alternative able. The restaurant staff didn’t really have the bottle to tell the others to shoo off. The variety of food was interesting providing Western, Sri Lankan and Indian dishes not to mention the exotic fruit. We all enjoyed and looked forward to the evening meal.

The Ayurvedic massage is much more reasonably priced than the beach hotel we stayed in. It’s convenient to have it in the hotel and after the massage just walk leisurely back to your room. Similarly, the laundry service was also reasonable so we took advantage of that.

Overall as a family we enjoyed our experience at the Chaaya and take away fond memories.

Room Tip: Ground Floor opening out to garden or Top floor with view to Lake
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Jeddy
JEDDAH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for one night with my family.
The rooms and bathrooms were good and clean.
The special thing about this hotel is the view.
The beautiful river surrounded by jungle is stunning.
The breakfast was not worth.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank IPFM
Italy, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

Nice location.
Very old hotel. Fantastic river view & beautiful location, Need renovation. We got nice welcome. Front line female staff very helpful, printing my ticket. Provide me with lot of information. Very Good Food. Breakfast buffet was good.
Lovely place to relax

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank shanfowme
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

I am staying in Sri Lanka for two weeks and on the advice of a colleague from Sri Lanka booked myself into the Chaaya Citadel Hotel, in Kandy for a weekend stay.
Thinking this would be a nice break from the hustle of the city. It was the location is great, however that is my only positive from my break.

On arrival I gave over my paperwork confirming my booking and that I had prepaid this in advance. The guy in reception was so uninterested. He got me to complete all my paperwork for my room, and then asked me to wait in an empty bar until my room was ready. Only a short wait of ten minutes.

I was given my key and went off to unpack in my deluxe single room. OMG if this is deluxe God help you if you stay in a standard room.

All the usual bathroom ammenities are there for your use. Together with a pricelist that if you lift any of them your account will be charged. Lovely welcome. Just adding to the over all guest experience.

My room I was to find was situated above the lounge which had each night live performers with loud music on till around midnight. I also found that outside my room was the depot for the housekeeping staff to load they trolley cleaning gear to service the guest rooms. So that was a nice wake up at 6am.

I never actually got my room serviced by housekeeping. I had to call and specifically ask them to send someone. He arrived made my bed and left. No empty of the bin no refresh of the bathroom.

Breakfast was buffet style and was like McDonalds get em in and out ASAP. Forget fruit juice this place gave you cordial very weakly diluted at that. You even get rashioned to one cup of tea or coffee I had enjoyed a healthy pot whilst at the Hilton in Columbo.

Now I accept I cannot compare this place to a Hilton but there are basics you would expect a traveller to enjoy. For me its a pot of tea with my breakfast.

If i had not paid in advance for my stay I would have left after day one. There is no guest service,.

On departure I was asked the normal did you have a nice stay I remarked no I didnt. Never asked why or what could we have done to improve it ?

To add to this on check out they were charging again for my accommodation dispite it having already been paid for.

I checked out three hours early just to get away from the place. In closing lovely hotel. Idilic surroundings. However, basic accommodation and no guest service everything seemed a chore.

Sorry. No more moaning. I am just so disapointed from a hotel that on its website claims such great delivery.

These guys just want your buck. At dinner selling you wine

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Degsy228
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

We had a great stay at the chaaya in minerya. But the one in Kandy really needs to be redecorated and updated. We slept on the second basement floor, really gave the impression of being in a basement. The restaurant area was a cafeteria like. The bathroom very dark. I would not return to this place although the view is superb as well as the hotel's location.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kandy
Earl's Regency
Mahaweli Reach Hotel
Mahaweli Reach Hotel
#12 of 58 in Kandy
Madulkelle Tea and Eco Lodge

Been to Cinnamon Citadel Kandy? Share your experiences!