I am staying in Sri Lanka for two weeks and on the advice of a colleague from Sri Lanka booked myself into the Chaaya Citadel Hotel, in Kandy for a weekend stay.
Thinking this would be a nice break from the hustle of the city. It was the location is great, however that is my only positive from my break.
On arrival I gave over my paperwork confirming my booking and that I had prepaid this in advance. The guy in reception was so uninterested. He got me to complete all my paperwork for my room, and then asked me to wait in an empty bar until my room was ready. Only a short wait of ten minutes.
I was given my key and went off to unpack in my deluxe single room. OMG if this is deluxe God help you if you stay in a standard room.
All the usual bathroom ammenities are there for your use. Together with a pricelist that if you lift any of them your account will be charged. Lovely welcome. Just adding to the over all guest experience.
My room I was to find was situated above the lounge which had each night live performers with loud music on till around midnight. I also found that outside my room was the depot for the housekeeping staff to load they trolley cleaning gear to service the guest rooms. So that was a nice wake up at 6am.
I never actually got my room serviced by housekeeping. I had to call and specifically ask them to send someone. He arrived made my bed and left. No empty of the bin no refresh of the bathroom.
Breakfast was buffet style and was like McDonalds get em in and out ASAP. Forget fruit juice this place gave you cordial very weakly diluted at that. You even get rashioned to one cup of tea or coffee I had enjoyed a healthy pot whilst at the Hilton in Columbo.
Now I accept I cannot compare this place to a Hilton but there are basics you would expect a traveller to enjoy. For me its a pot of tea with my breakfast.
If i had not paid in advance for my stay I would have left after day one. There is no guest service,.
On departure I was asked the normal did you have a nice stay I remarked no I didnt. Never asked why or what could we have done to improve it ?
To add to this on check out they were charging again for my accommodation dispite it having already been paid for.
I checked out three hours early just to get away from the place. In closing lovely hotel. Idilic surroundings. However, basic accommodation and no guest service everything seemed a chore.
Sorry. No more moaning. I am just so disapointed from a hotel that on its website claims such great delivery.
These guys just want your buck. At dinner selling you wine
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sweeping green hills, the longest river in the country, misty mornings and the fresh outdoors, are just a few things that naturally come together here to make the perfect holiday. Just 2 1/2 hours from the Sri Lanka's Capital City Colombo, Chaaya Citadel Kandy has reinvented itself taking into account the needs of holidaymakers around the world. Replete with a sense of history, serenity and majesty, the hotel offers guests the opportunity to experience the amazing Kandyan history, the culture and the arts that play a big role in the lives of the Sri Lankans. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cinnamon Citadel Kandy reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chaaya Citadel Kandy Hotel Kandy
- Chaaya Citadel Hotel Kandy
- Kandy Chaaya Citadel Hotel