“A Hell of a Weekend.”

Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Kandy
London, United Kingdom
“A Hell of a Weekend.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

I am staying in Sri Lanka for two weeks and on the advice of a colleague from Sri Lanka booked myself into the Chaaya Citadel Hotel, in Kandy for a weekend stay.
Thinking this would be a nice break from the hustle of the city. It was the location is great, however that is my only positive from my break.

On arrival I gave over my paperwork confirming my booking and that I had prepaid this in advance. The guy in reception was so uninterested. He got me to complete all my paperwork for my room, and then asked me to wait in an empty bar until my room was ready. Only a short wait of ten minutes.

I was given my key and went off to unpack in my deluxe single room. OMG if this is deluxe God help you if you stay in a standard room.

All the usual bathroom ammenities are there for your use. Together with a pricelist that if you lift any of them your account will be charged. Lovely welcome. Just adding to the over all guest experience.

My room I was to find was situated above the lounge which had each night live performers with loud music on till around midnight. I also found that outside my room was the depot for the housekeeping staff to load they trolley cleaning gear to service the guest rooms. So that was a nice wake up at 6am.

I never actually got my room serviced by housekeeping. I had to call and specifically ask them to send someone. He arrived made my bed and left. No empty of the bin no refresh of the bathroom.

Breakfast was buffet style and was like McDonalds get em in and out ASAP. Forget fruit juice this place gave you cordial very weakly diluted at that. You even get rashioned to one cup of tea or coffee I had enjoyed a healthy pot whilst at the Hilton in Columbo.

Now I accept I cannot compare this place to a Hilton but there are basics you would expect a traveller to enjoy. For me its a pot of tea with my breakfast.

If i had not paid in advance for my stay I would have left after day one. There is no guest service,.

On departure I was asked the normal did you have a nice stay I remarked no I didnt. Never asked why or what could we have done to improve it ?

To add to this on check out they were charging again for my accommodation dispite it having already been paid for.

I checked out three hours early just to get away from the place. In closing lovely hotel. Idilic surroundings. However, basic accommodation and no guest service everything seemed a chore.

Sorry. No more moaning. I am just so disapointed from a hotel that on its website claims such great delivery.

These guys just want your buck. At dinner selling you wine

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Degsy228

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

We had a great stay at the chaaya in minerya. But the one in Kandy really needs to be redecorated and updated. We slept on the second basement floor, really gave the impression of being in a basement. The restaurant area was a cafeteria like. The bathroom very dark. I would not return to this place although the view is superb as well as the hotel's location.

• Stayed July 2011
dullsville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

If you stayed here for your honeymoon we feel very sorry for you, previous writers are spot on to say that this place is full of wasted potential. SO OLD and horrible and yes we too stayed at other Chaaya hotels, that is no recommendation for this one. We all got ripped off badly. This place is like a nursing home or old hospital with dank corridors and smells of stale food. Every aspect from the cranky old man at the entrance to the uncaring unfriendly reception- god forbid you have a problem dont bother taking it to them, housekeeping hopeless and the food and beverage staff are so bad I do not know where to start. Previous reviewers are correct the air con is noisy and does not work properly, it is a 2 star on a good day
The quality of the food and choices was appalling, we spoke to the F&B manager. waste of time care factor zero, we could not wait to leave so disapointing as there are so many nice places in sri lanka, the location is overrated, and certainly not worth staying in this area for that, it is badly sign posted it you are driving here, the place needs bulldozing
we sent back a lunch we ordered it was that bad, looked burnt and old
The pool was so filthy we could write our names in the grime and the pool staff belong in a funeral palour. No joke it this bad
unhygenic food practices at breakfast, uncooked waffles, and milk not cold
animal droppings in the restaurant,sticky tables,DND ignored by HK staff,cats in the restaurant,they may harass you about the mini bar as all foreigners are criminals, you have been warned

Room Tip: no rooms are good here
2 Thank theowldullsville
Peterborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

We have just stayed in this hotel whilst on tour with Riviera Travel. Great staff, room and view. As I have food allergies staying away from home is like stepping into a minefield. I should not have worried however as my problems were taken very seriously and the food was not only safe but delicious. This was thanks to hotel staff and Riviera Travel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank RitaFowler
YalaVillage, Shehara Anthony - Assistant Manager at Cinnamon Citadel Kandy, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Thank you for your review.
uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Having stayed in Chaaya Village for two nights, the same chain, we had high expectations, they were somewhat dashed with this hotel.

The service was poor - glasses in the bar were not cleared for along while obviously a big tour group came into together and drinks with straws were left on the tables. Bottles and glasses were not cleared for hours around the pool this we particulary noted as our room looked over the swimming pool.

The air conditioning was terrible and when we complained they weren't really interested. (it was 105 degrees while we were there) They attitude was dissapointing - later we heard other people complain about their air conditioning with same effect.

The room itself had a fantastic postion overlooking the river but I am sure if the hotel had been busy it would have been very noisey as it was directly above the restaurant.

The food was O.K. but the fine dining restaurant was not open, and this area looked sad.

The general cleaning left alot to be desired in the public areas and considering this was a city centre hotel and a quiet period the place should have been spotless.

Such a shame it had great potential just note quite fufilled!!

Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

Came here for 3 nights as part of my honeymoon. The hotel is a little far from central Kandy but that suited us fine as we had a driver. We were greeted by the manager and given cold towels and fruit drinks. Told we had been 'upgraded' to deluxe as honeymooners, though we had already booked a deluxe room, but we were given a small bowl of fruit in the room.
The room was very spacious with a good decor and all the usual amneties. It was also river-facing, which was nice, however it was very low and we couldnt fully appreciate the view as such.
The pool looked nice, though we didnt use it.
No wifi in rooms, intermittant in communal areas. Talking of whichm the deluxe rooms were a little far from the main lobby and involved a walk through a corridor which smelt of spicy food all the time, not such a big deal.
The food, first night was fantastic, however the second night and particularly third werent as good. Some of the 'live' cooking stations involved the chefs just reheating the food and there seemed to be a lot of trainee young chefs on duty.
All in all was a nice and comfortable hotel, but didnt inspire as as much as the other hotels we stayed in Sri-Lanka, was lacking the 'wow' factor

Room Tip: River-view
1 Thank babylonian_brit
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

We stayed as part of our honeymoon which was a Kuoni Ceylon Tour. We stayed for one night.

The room was really clean and very comfortable, the view is to die for. A fantastic view of the river and jungle beyond.

The pool area overlooks the river and is very clean with sun beds provided, along with towels. Food at the restaurant is buffet style and of very good quality. Staff are extremely friendly and accommodating.

Try the Lion Beer, it is a must, Kandy is a great place to purchase a sarong, however give the jewel factory a miss unless you want to part with a lot of money!!

We were taken by our guide to a spa not far down the road from the hotel, cannot remember the name, but if you ask the staff, they'll direct you. We had a joint full-body massage for about $35, which included warm oil being poured over your head, and a herbal sauna, which was very hot! Fantastic, so don't pay the high prices in the hotel.

Room Tip: River view rooms are a must.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
It is a pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable stay at Chaaya Citadel Kandy, we hope to see you again at our resort. The resort is located next to Sri Lanka's longest river, 'The Mahaveli' surrounded by the lush green hills.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kandy
Earl's Regency
#10 of 52 in Kandy
Clove Villa
Clove Villa
#3 of 52 in Kandy

Been to Cinnamon Citadel Kandy? Share your experiences!